Stray cat neutering advice needed!

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Drowning Not Waving
New Cat Chatter

Stray cat neutering advice needed!

Post by Drowning Not Waving »

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, glad I've found it.

I live in North Leeds and have just moved house. We have been feeding a stray cat for several months, prior to our feeding him we'd seen him daily for about 3 years. It transpired that during that time, he was being fed by a near neighbour until she moved away and we took over.

As a result of this daily human contact, we can now fuss him and go about our business while he eats without frightening him-he even receives fuss from our children!

But! He is un-neutered. We had hoped to have paid for neutering ourselves but we struggle financially so it's always a case of 'maybe next month' yet it's never possible.

One of us will walk back to the old house every day to feed him but we really need to get him neutered.

Is there help available anywhere that will pay in full if we trap him? We couldn't even afford to pay half I'm afraid.

Thank you for reading, hopefully someone can advise me on this!

Jacqui

Ps I have looked around online but have come to a dead end.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Stray cat neutering advice needed!

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome, love the name (I'm a Stevie Smith fan myself) and good on you for caring for this boy.

Cats' Protection can help you with neutering fees if you're short of money - https://www.cats.org.uk/what-we-do/neutering

I was in dire straits myself some years back and I rang them up and was sent a voucher for half the cost of my youngest cat's spaying. I think all I had to do was to fill in simple details and take it to the vet's - very little fuss. The other day I got a leaflet through the door, offering the same service, so it's ongoing.

Good luck and hope you get him sorted soon, and that your fortunes improve too, you deserve it :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

it can be as little as £5 or £10, depending on your circumstances and where you live

https://www.cats.org.uk/what-we-do/neut ... -campaigns
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I've seen Cat's Protection in the Wolverhampton area advertising free neuter or spay every few months so it certainly is available, otherwise contact your local charities to see if any of them could offer to help.

From a purely mercenary point of view, it is far cheaper to pay for a cat to be neutered or spayed, particularly if someone is willing to look after them afterwards, than to take in and look after all the unwanted kittens that cat would be responsible for.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Great advice!

Get in touch with Cat's Protection (CP) and ask around at your local vets - I'm in Enfield and all my strays have been neutered for free as the vets have an agreement with CP as part of a scheme to neuter stray cats. You have basically been feeding a stray for the last few years. Get him sorted and chipped at the same time, if you're prepared to adopt him, then take him home... Sounds like he's adopted you anyway!
Drowning Not Waving
New Cat Chatter

Post by Drowning Not Waving »

Thanks to you all for replying, I've not posted on any kind of forum before and didn't expect to get a response at all!

We took over feeding around the end if Spring I think and yes, he's adopted us! So much so that we realised a couple of months ago that he had begun to sleep in the coal bunk parr of the shed.

I'm a Londoner now living in Leeds for the last 10 years and honestly, the difference is stark in terms of things like financial help and freebies that you can here-I can't imagine any vet here working with any charity to offer free neutering, though I was hoping someone would tell me there was!

I've lived with cats my entire life and currently we have 3 2 of them moved in after being left behind/dumped by a neighbour who moved and the youngest moved in as an 8 week old kitten-he had been a Christmas present for a neighbour's little girl but had the good sense to leave home straight away and live with us.

We paid for them all to be neutered but things are so bad moneywise at the moment that myself and my partner often go without food so we really can't even stretch to half the cost or £5 or £10.

We would take him in right away if we were not looking after a dog at the moment. It was a temporary thing but it's looking long term...

Basically, that is the plan eventually but get the neutering done first.

I'll keep looking and apologies for the long post!

Thanks again and Lilith, that's so kind, we too hope our fortune improve soon :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

If he is a stray, Cats Protection should give a free neutering voucher, you may need to go through Headquarters, not sure what parts of Leeds have branches.