cat freedom?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Rogereldridge
New Cat Chatter

cat freedom?

Post by Rogereldridge »

I have adopted a 7 year old cat and question whether or not to let him go outside.
He has lived with me for 18 months now and likes to look out the window at cars, other cats, people etc
I have the opportunity to move and this gives him access to outdoors
My dilemma is - upstairs, safe, warm , secure - downstairs- freedom , grass, danger, fleas etc
Now at 8 and a half, he seems content
What to do?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: cat freedom?

Post by alanc »

If he is happy indoors, I would keep him that way. 8 and a half is old to start learning the dangers of outdoor life. As a matter of interest, my Tilly, who is 8 and a half, and who used to be out hunting from dawn to dusk as a young cat spends most of her time indoors these days.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: cat freedom?

Post by Ruth B »

After you move you will need to keep him in anyway for several weeks which will give you a chance to see if he has any interest in going outside.

If you have an enclosed private garden then it might be worth seeing if he would like to join you outside but then bring him in when you come in and certainly don't leave him out over night. As he is used to being indoors all the time he would probably adapt to short visits to the garden with you rather than free access to it and enjoy the chance to have a bit of an explore, watch the sights and sniff the breeze, but be happy to remain in the confines of the garden.

At 8 he will probably be past the initial will to explore and be happy to have an extra room to the house with extra sun and interesting sniffs to visit. As it is possibly another cat's territory already that will help stop his desire to explore.

If its a communal garden then I would suggest you keep him indoors again.