Electric recliners and cats

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MiddleEarthNet
Frequent Cat Chatter

Electric recliners and cats

Post by MiddleEarthNet »

Hi, I’m looking for advice on electric recliners and cats. I know that electric recliner sofas and cats are a potential hazard to cats. I have just bought an electric recliner sofa and will be getting a cat pretty soon. I have very specific reasons for choosing the electric recliner so a non recliner isn’t an option. I will be living on my own so I’ve got complete control (except when I might have visitors over). The recliner I’ve got isn’t one of those tilting ones. So I just have a few questions to make sure I keep the cat(s) safe.

Are there any risks to the cat whilst the recliner ISN’T moving? Particularly isn’t moving but with the footrest up?
Does size of cat make a difference? I’m likely to be getting a kitten.
Is there any way of cat proofing any area they can get through?
This next one I can try myself but haven’t owned the sofa long enough to see what it’s like over time. But if I adjust it to where I like it, then turn the power off, will the hold it’s position? And is that safer than making sure the cat is in full view? It’s not so much about me turning the power to the sofa off but rather making sure a sudden power cut won’t unexpectedly bring the footrest back down without me checking for the cat.
Beyond always making sure the cat(s) are all in full view, is there anything I can do to ensure their safety and my comfort?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Electric recliners and cats

Post by Kay »

some ideas here https://www.notionsandneeds.com/recliners-and-cats/

and if you google 'danger of recliners and cats' you'll find more ideas from people worried as you are

my mother squashed her cat under the footrest once, but quickly reversed it when the cat howled - she ran off and I spent 10 worrying minutes trying to entice her out from under the bed so I could be sure she was OK, whilst reassuring my very worried mum that no harm had been done - which thankfully turned out to be true, but it was a scary time for all of us
MiddleEarthNet
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Electric recliners and cats

Post by MiddleEarthNet »

Ooh thanks for the link. That sounds pretty straight forward to do.

And pleased to hear your mum’s cat was unharmed. I’m hoping with proper preparation I can avoid it altogether.