Currently don’t have a garden, anyone know of any animal shelters that don’t require you to have a garden?

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Verity18
New Cat Chatter

Currently don’t have a garden, anyone know of any animal shelters that don’t require you to have a garden?

Post by Verity18 »

We currently live in a flat in London and just adopted a kitten from Greece, she’s currently a house cat as we don’t have a garden until we move to a house next year.

Most animal shelters require your home to have an outdoor space/garden and that’s sometning we cannot offer for the next 8 months.

Anyone know of any animal shelters that are ok with giving cats away to homes without gardens?

In the London or surrounding areas if possible.

So far I’ve tried blue cross, cats protection, Celia Hammond and Wood Green animal shelter and they’ve all said no to me :cry:

I’ve created a cat garden in our flat and we have plenty of toys/cat scratchers and they’d never be on their own for longer than 6 hours. You’d think they want to send cats to happy loving homes whether they have a garden or not, considering how many currently are in need of homes...
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Currently don’t have a garden, anyone know of any animal shelters that don’t require you to have a garden?

Post by Ruth B »

It surprises me that you aren't able to find a indoor only cat or kitten, even shelters that prefer you to have a garden normally have some that need to be indoor only due to medical conditions, cat flu in kittens can often mean the loss of an eye, and i know there are a lot of kittens that are rescued that do suffer it, and of course a one eyed cat isn't safe to be let out, the same can be said for those that are deaf.

I can't help you in the London area as I live in Wolverhampton, but Sally at The ARC- The Ashmore Rescue for Cats, will rehome nationwide and is happy to home as indoor only cats, whether they need it for health reasons or not. It does take a little longer as she will need to find someone local to you to do the home check, and then sort out transporting the chosen cat or kitten, unless you are able to come up and choose one in person (once the home check is given the ok, she operates a system that you can then go and choose the cat or kitten and assuming it is old enough you can leave with it as opposed to those that want you to chose a cat or kitten and then do the home check). She does have a £75 adoption fee, but they all come fully health checked, microchipped deflead and dewormed and neutered or spayed, so reasonable to ensure you get a healthy cat.

Hopefully some closer to you will be on and can advise on another rescue that operates in your area and rehomes to indoor only homes.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Currently don’t have a garden, anyone know of any animal shelters that don’t require you to have a garden?

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome :) There may be some rescues who will have cats that need indoor homes, I’ve fostered cats who’ve been scared of the door, and they would probably suit being indoors, but rescues do have the best interests of the cats at heart and they say they need safe outdoor access for a reason. I’ve even had deaf and blind cats who’ve loved being out in our garden in the summer all day (supervised) so I feel quite strongly about this. I always think that I wouldn’t want to have to stay indoors myself and never go out, so I don’t think a cat should, if they don’t want to. It’s great that you will eventually be moving to a home with a garden and 8 months isn’t that long to wait, so personally I would do that.