Neighbours Cat - What to Do !!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Neighbours Cat - What to Do !!

Post by AndyMac »

I recently posted on the forum about a stray black cat 'Paul' who I took under my wing for a few days and then to the vet who reunited it with its owner and subsequently found out its owner lives close by.

Paul is now a regular visitor to my house and its owner lets it outside all day and sometimes she will return late in the evening. I get home from work about 5.00 and he is usually in the back garden, he seems to be starving and will eat 2 pouches. I have bonded with Paul and am so concerned about him being outside in case he gets hit by a car. When I am home I keep a watch on him to ensure he stays in the back garden and if I do see him at the front I will chase him into the back but I cannot live my life constantly looking outside for him. I live in a side street and traffic can be busy - were as his owner lives by a busy road - saying that my cat Mia was knocked down outside the house and I am so concerned about Paul in case he suffers the same fate.

This morning I was about to drive off and saw Paul run alongside of the car and into my garden - I think he was sitting under the car. I got out and chased him into the back garden. I am at work and am feeling so anxious about Paul being outside all day and have been for a few days - when at work I am waiting on a phone call from my neighbour to say he has been knocked down etc .... and just cannot settle.

I was thinking of introducing myself to its owner and voice my concerns about Paul and tell her of my experience of losing Mia. I know it is her choice to leave him outside but I really feel powerless to do anything. I wish I could keep him inside during the day but he is not my cat to be making decisions about. After losing Mia 6 weeks ago I am still emotionally 'raw' and so concerned about Paul.

Should I speak to its owner or just let fate take its course and hope he will survive another day ??
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Neighbours Cat - What to Do !!

Post by Lilith »

Well, Andy, I didn't like to say before, but I think you care about him far more than his owner!

He's roamed off and if it hadn't have been for you he would have been lost to her for good; you helped restore him to her, and now here she is letting him do the same thing, with the same potential for disaster ...

Personally I'd install a cat flap, or simply let him in for the day - I'm a quiet person and I wouldn't waste my words. Would she care if he never went home again?

Owners like this can be incalculable though. I've known neighbourhood cats who have been shut out and used me as a drop-in centre - and one owner said, oh well, we know you'll feed him. Mind you she expected me to take the child in as well - charming! Others are offended - even though they've let Tiddles out and seen him make a beeline for your back door and it hasn't been your choice. I mean, are you a cat diner? Do you want possible fleas/diseases? Not really. In these situations you don't even have to encourage the damn cats - they come. As a friend of mine said while out walking and seeing a completely unknown cat cantering towards me, miaowing at the top of its voice, 'they KNOW, don't they?'

They do :lol:

The paper collar, as other people have suggested, is a good idea, to cover yourself and let her know he's visiting you, but if the guy keeps turning up, I'd be inclined to quietly adopt him. Apparently, legally, if a cat lives with you for more than a fortnight, it can be legally yours.

I do feel for you, and for Paul, I'd want him off the streets and safe and out of the cold, and to me it's pretty clear who he's chosen.

They know ...
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I can't see any harm in letting her know he keeps visiting you, and leaving your phone number with her so she can contact you if she's looking for him, in case he is in your house - I think Lilith's idea of installing a cat flap is a good one, as it would mean he could be in your house without you knowing, in case his owner accuses you of kidnapping him

it's perfectly possible the owner will be glad to pass him on to you, so it's worth letting her know you are willing if and when she is ready to transfer ownership - sometimes in these situations it's a question of saving face, so if she can get rid of him under the guise of doing a lonely man a favour, so be it
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks Lilith - I would love to have him with me permanently as he is an adorable cat. Take Monday evening - I did a few hours work in my garden and my neighbours garden whilst Paul was watching me. I went for a walk for an hour and when I returned about 08.30 it was raining - I went to the back door and Paul came into the garden from the neighbours and then into the house, wet, so I dried him with kitchen roll and fed him. He went upstairs and lay on the bed. About 10.30 I noticed his owners lights on and Paul came downstairs and wanted out which I did. I was going to bed about 11.30 and checked out the back and Paul again appeared and came into the house - he stayed the night. I woke up in the middle of the night and felt guilty having him here in case its owner was worried and thought about putting him out but didnt. The next morning he came onto my bed, rubbed his head against my face and flopped down beside me full stretch. Later I fed him and let him out.

I think I should call to her door and introduce myself as the person who took him to the Vet as I was concerned about him and see how it goes from there. I do not want its owner thinking I am laying claim to him tho by feeding him and keeping him inside. She did get him chipped and he is well groomed. Like you I do feel like a drop-in centre as another cat (flea bag) Fang comes over regularly looking fed. Its owners go on holiday and leave it behind and I end up feeding it until they get back not that they would care !!
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Kay wrote:I can't see any harm in letting her know he keeps visiting you, and leaving your phone number with her so she can contact you if she's looking for him, in case he is in your house - I think Lilith's idea of installing a cat flap is a good one, as it would mean he could be in your house without you knowing, in case his owner accuses you of kidnapping him

it's perfectly possible the owner will be glad to pass him on to you, so it's worth letting her know you are willing if and when she is ready to transfer ownership - sometimes in these situations it's a question of saving face, so if she can get rid of him under the guise of doing a lonely man a favour, so be it
Kay I actually thought the same thing regarding the phone number and think it best to let her know that he is a regular visitor to mine and see how she reacts. Its just she seems to come home late in the evenings and is away early in the morning and seems to be away for days at a time but will definitely try to call this weekend.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I can see it a bit from the opposite side, Saturn will disappear off for hours on end, if he is gone more than 24 hours then I start to worry, but up to that point I just think its Saturn being Saturn. If he turned up one day with a paper collar i wouldn't be surprised, and sometimes wonder if he is a Six Dinner' Saturn. I would happily talk to anyone who was concerned and feeding him, it is better to know that he is getting fed else where than worry about why he hasn't got an appetite or wonder what he has caught for himself. I also would want to make sure they weren't giving him worming or flea treatment, I would hate for him to end up having 7 doses of spot on in one week.

Only you know whether you prefer to call in person, or put a paper collar on with a phone number, most people are fine and would welcome the contact, but I hear too many stories of things turning nasty to want you to put yourself at risk. In my mind the best scenario is that they no longer really want him, but don't want to hand him over to a charity knowing that black cats are hard to rehome, but would welcome the opportunity if someone was willing to give him a home close by. Explain to them what happened to Mia and that it has made you concerned about Paul's safety.

Much as I am in favour of Microchips it does make it a little more difficult when the cat's owners aren't taking the responsibility for them, at one time you could let the cat adopt you and there would be no evidence it wasn't yours originally when you had to take it to the vets, if you tried that with Paul, you would always have the worry that the vet would scan for a chip and you would be back to stage one, leaving Paul for his owners to pick up.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

[quote="Lilith"]Well, Andy, I didn't like to say before, but I think you care about him far more than his owner!

The paper collar, as other people have suggested, is a good idea, to cover yourself and let her know he's visiting you, but if the guy keeps turning up, I'd be inclined to quietly adopt him. Apparently, legally, if a cat lives with you for more than a fortnight, it can be legally yours.
quote]

Problem with this is that Paul was reunited due to his microchip, so legally he is an owned cat. I do agree with you Ruth, there is a downside to microchips and I have known it end badly due to them. I personally wouldn't install a catflap, as he is someone's cat and he is well groomed, so she must care about him. I would either go and give your details or put a paper collar on so she is aware that he is coming back, so she doesn't end up dragging him off to the vets if he isn't eating as much.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Ruth B wrote:I can see it a bit from the opposite side, Saturn will disappear off for hours on end, if he is gone more than 24 hours then I start to worry, but up to that point I just think its Saturn being Saturn. If he turned up one day with a paper collar i wouldn't be surprised, and sometimes wonder if he is a Six Dinner' Saturn. I would happily talk to anyone who was concerned and feeding him, it is better to know that he is getting fed else where than worry about why he hasn't got an appetite or wonder what he has caught for himself. I also would want to make sure they weren't giving him worming or flea treatment, I would hate for him to end up having 7 doses of spot on in one week.

Only you know whether you prefer to call in person, or put a paper collar on with a phone number, most people are fine and would welcome the contact, but I hear too many stories of things turning nasty to want you to put yourself at risk. In my mind the best scenario is that they no longer really want him, but don't want to hand him over to a charity knowing that black cats are hard to rehome, but would welcome the opportunity if someone was willing to give him a home close by. Explain to them what happened to Mia and that it has made you concerned about Paul's safety.

Much as I am in favour of Microchips it does make it a little more difficult when the cat's owners aren't taking the responsibility for them, at one time you could let the cat adopt you and there would be no evidence it wasn't yours originally when you had to take it to the vets, if you tried that with Paul, you would always have the worry that the vet would scan for a chip and you would be back to stage one, leaving Paul for his owners to pick up.
Thanks Ruth - I dont want to come across as an interfering neighbour and still not sure if the owner does live in this particular house at the back of mine - close enough to see the house but too far to recognise anyone in the garden. I am pretty certain it is the right house tho. When I posted on the Lost & Found Facebook page someone replied to say her cat sometimes stays away for days and she doesnt worry and was complaining about people posting when their cat has been missing for 24 hours - different parenting techniques I suppose.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

booktigger wrote:
Lilith wrote:Problem with this is that Paul was reunited due to his microchip, so legally he is an owned cat. I do agree with you Ruth, there is a downside to microchips and I have known it end badly due to them. I personally wouldn't install a catflap, as he is someone's cat and he is well groomed, so she must care about him. I would either go and give your details or put a paper collar on so she is aware that he is coming back, so she doesn't end up dragging him off to the vets if he isn't eating as much.
Yes Booktigger I agree especially with the eating. A guy I work with at weekends told me that he had been walking the area for hours looking for the family cat as it hadnt come home the night before and it was not home that morning when he went to work and he feared the worst. Later his wife txt him to say it had stayed in her friends house in the cul-de-sac and he was raging that she hadnt informed them - so can totally understand the other side of a cat not returning home and the worry it can cause.

I will hopefully contact the owner just to say that he is a frequent visitor and mention that I do feed him but if she prefers I will stop. I will post an update if I manage to speak to her.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

AndyMac wrote:
booktigger wrote:Problem with this is that Paul was reunited due to his microchip, so legally he is an owned cat. I do agree with you Ruth, there is a downside to microchips and I have known it end badly due to them. I personally wouldn't install a catflap, as he is someone's cat and he is well groomed, so she must care about him. I would either go and give your details or put a paper collar on so she is aware that he is coming back, so she doesn't end up dragging him off to the vets if he isn't eating as much.
Yes Booktigger I agree especially with the eating. A guy I work with at weekends told me that he had been walking the area for hours looking for the family cat as it hadnt come home the night before and it was not home that morning when he went to work and he feared the worst. Later his wife txt him to say it had stayed in her friends house in the cul-de-sac and he was raging that she hadnt informed them - so can totally understand the other side of a cat not returning home and the worry it can cause.

I will hopefully contact the owner just to say that he is a frequent visitor and mention that I do feed him but if she prefers I will stop. I will post an update if I manage to speak to her.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

AndyMac wrote:
AndyMac wrote:
booktigger wrote:Problem with this is that Paul was reunited due to his microchip, so legally he is an owned cat. I do agree with you Ruth, there is a downside to microchips and I have known it end badly due to them. I personally wouldn't install a catflap, as he is someone's cat and he is well groomed, so she must care about him. I would either go and give your details or put a paper collar on so she is aware that he is coming back, so she doesn't end up dragging him off to the vets if he isn't eating as much.

ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by ThorpeDave »

I had a similar problem with Mia

She was owned - micro chipped etc - but strayed.

When she first started visiting us we informed our neighbor but she really wanted her back.

I am sure that many will agree, you don't own cats - they own you! A cat will stray for many reasons. In Mia's case it was another cat in the same household, an in-tact male who was bullying her. A stray cat arrived at my wife's place of work and she was taken back to her owner but kept returning. she would not stay at home because of a puppy.

Legally - yes Paul is "owned" but - there is another term used which is "keeper". The "keeper" is someone who provides food, shelter, safety and takes responsibility for medical care. Under the Animal Welfare Act, EVERYONE has a duty and responsibility to protect animals and to respond to their needs. Therefore, IMHO,you are doing the right thing to feed and provide a place of safety for Paul IF he needs it or wants it.

I would certainly tell the neighbor but I would also certainly provide Paul with a solution - a cat door or outdoor shelter.

After Mia had been with us for just over a year, our neighbor allowed us to officially adopt her - which has now been done.

Good luck

Regards

Dave
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

ThorpeDave wrote:
Legally - yes Paul is "owned" but - there is another term used which is "keeper". The "keeper" is someone who provides food, shelter, safety and takes responsibility for medical care. Under the Animal Welfare Act, EVERYONE has a duty and responsibility to protect animals and to respond to their needs. Therefore, IMHO,you are doing the right thing to feed and provide a place of safety for Paul IF he needs it or wants it.
Yes and no - we have a responsibility to ensure that animals needs are catered for, but if an animal has an owner, feeding is encouraging the cat to stray away from their home, and some cats will do it even though there is nothing wrong with their home or the food provided - they may even be on a restricted diet for health issues, so would willingly eat something different, but in that case, we could be making a situation worse - my neighbour used to like to feed a neighbourhood cat (her owners had asked her not to, but she ignored them), but she wouldn't monitor the food and my cat with IBD was always getting in the bowl and causing him to have an upset tummy.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

see below
Last edited by AndyMac on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

[quote="AndyMac"]Thanks for the advice Dave.

I called at the house I suspected of owning Paul last night when I saw lights on about 21.00. The girl who answered said it was not her cat but the other person who lives with her. I explained the reason for taking him to the vet and told her about losing Mia to a RTA and was concerned about Paul roaming as I was unsure if he was lost or abandoned.

I was informed the other girl who owns Paul is often away overnight with work and usually just lets him out to roam about. I got he impression his owner was annoyed at having to go to the vet to pick him up !! She had the patio doors open to see if he returned to which I replied that he was in my house sleeping on the bed. I told her I would put him out and hopefully he would return to her house.

I got home and Paul was sleeping but managed to get him out and clapped my hands to chase him from the garden. Later that evening I was going to bed about 23.30 and went outside for a vape/smoke and Paul was in next doors garden crying. I called him and he jumped over the fence - I fed him and went to bed. Paul came up later and slept beside me all night. This morning I fed him and let him out and did not see him again until I went to work. With Storm Callum it has been raining most of the day so I hope he is OK as I am at work.

I forgot to offer my phone number to them but I will not actively seek to encourage Paul to come to me anymore.
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

AndyMac wrote:Thanks for the advice Dave.

I was informed the other girl who owns Paul is often away overnight with work and usually just lets him out to roam about. I got he impression his owner was annoyed at having to go to the vet to pick him up !! She had the patio doors open to see if he returned to which I replied that he was in my house sleeping on the bed. I told her I would put him out and hopefully he would return to her house.

It certainly strikes me that the current "owner" is not giving Paul 100% of what he needs.

From what you said (I could have misinterpreted) she lets the cat out to "do his own thing" but it sounds like there is no way for him to come back in ??? Therefore IMHO she is not looking after the cat properly and probably the reason why Paul has sought you out to provide regular food, shelter and some cuddles ;)

If I was use I would put that cat door in :D

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Yup, in this particular case I know what I'd do - and then keep shtum.

Paul? Haven't seen him for weeks, love ;) :lol:
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Hmmm - I couldnt get a cat flap installed as the cat across the road (Fang) would never be out of the house - it knows how to push the back door open and lets itself in at times.

I will just wait to see what happens. I suppose it is up to the owner how much freedom they give their cat - with Jet and Mia they both stayed inside when I was at work and I never let them out overnight but maybe I was being over-protective.

I read 2 news articles today - one person had their cat shot 25 times with a pellet gun very close to its house in N. Ireland and another cat was caught in a gin-trap but managed to drag itself home but could loose its paw as they think someone is trying to protect birds as 4 other cats in the area have went missing - this happened in England. Reading articles like this make me think of having indoor cats only in future:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern- ... t-45834091

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -trap.html
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

AndyMac wrote: I read 2 news articles today - one person had their cat shot 25 times with a pellet gun very close to its house in N. Ireland and another cat was caught in a gin-trap but managed to drag itself home but could loose its paw as they think someone is trying to protect birds as 4 other cats in the area have went missing - this happened in England. Reading articles like this make me think of having indoor cats only in future:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern- ... t-45834091

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -trap.html
A cat should be able to seek safety and shelter whenever they want' Paul's owner appears - I may be wrong - to be restricting that freedom by not giving him the facility to seek shelter/safety whenever he needs it. That is why, IMHO a cat door is the right solution ;)

I am currently struggling to keep my new rescued kitten in. He is now 15 weeks old and has had his jabs and has decided there is a new world out there to explore. My other cat, Mia comes and goes as she pleases so Hendrix wants to do the same. He gets VERY stressed if he cannot get out - harness and lead purchased so that we can let him have a walk out while trying to keep him under control.

Regards

Dave
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lilith wrote:Yup, in this particular case I know what I'd do - and then keep shtum.

I am with you hun ;) :D
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Lilith wrote:Yup, in this particular case I know what I'd do - and then keep shtum.

You don't want to lie, put in a cat door and then you can tell them that you do see him in the garden on occasion but you stop letting him come in the back door.

You don't need to tell them you see him a lot on your bed.

If you are worried about the other cat, I don't think it takes long to program a microchip cat flap and you know he is chipped, though they are rather expensive for a cat that isn't yours (technically).

When I first had Saturn and Freyja and could start to let them out, Saturn learnt to use the cat flap straight away, Freyja took a year to learn the knack. While I was happy to let Freyja in and out the back door while I was in I would never let her out if I thought i wouldn't be able to get her in before I had to go out. I realised that I could never leave her shut outside, and if she played up one evening I would stay up however long it took to get her back in. Saturn may go wandering for hours and come back soaking wet at times but that is his choice there is always a warm house and a dry place to sleep waiting for him (and if I'm about possibly a good toweling as well).
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

The problem with installing a cat flap when you don't have a cat is that you are encouraging him, which could get you in trouble if his owner doesn't appreciate him spending so much time at yours, although I don't think an outdoor shelter is an issue. Plus unless you are willing to pay for a microchip flap, you are giving all the neighbourhood cats an opportunity. Then there is the fact that if she doesn't keep on top of flea and worm treatments, you could end up having to treat yoir house.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Andy I think it’s sweet of you to care for Paul. And reading between the lines he’s very fond of you!! I’m not impressed with the owner’s attitude. After calling in you’d think she’d have made an effort to track you down & thank you for looking after Paul. There’s the old saying ..”cats pick you!” Keep us posted. Vivian.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks Vivian - Paul has stayed with me all weekend. On Saturday morning I was up early to go to work it was raining heavily. Paul went outside and came back in so i dried him off and fed him and kept him inside until I got home at 18.30 - it rained constantly all day. He went out that night and I noticed his owners having a house party which had spilled outside onto the patio. I called Paul a few times but he wasnt there but when I was going to bed I tried again and he appeared and came inside.

Yesterday he was out all day and when I came back from a walk last night he followed me into the house and again he stayed. This morning I fed him and he went outside for 45mins and then came back to the house and went to bed so I left him inside today whilst at work. I noticed his owner had the patio door opened and now feel guilty that I have Paul in my house and she may be looking for him !!!

I think he may have fleas as he has been scratching under his chin and where he lay last night I checked this morning and thought it looked like flea dung - I do have flea drops which I am tempted to use on him but again his owner could have already done this but doubt she has as it has now been over 2 weeks since he first started appearing in my garden.

I really do not know what to do next - I love having him around but worried when at work that he is outside all day - now he is inside I am guilty that I am keeping him from his owner - should I make further contact with her to let her know that he is OK and maybe give my contact details ??
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

AndyMac wrote:
I really do not know what to do next - I love having him around but worried when at work that he is outside all day - now he is inside I am guilty that I am keeping him from his owner - should I make further contact with her to let her know that he is OK and maybe give my contact details ??
I don't think that I have changed my original position - put a cat door in!

From your post it is quite clear that sooner or later you are more than likely will want another cat in your life. It does not matter if it is Paul or another cat and therefore a cat door would come in very handy ;)

I would certainly inform his owner that he keeps coming round AND that he has fleas. Again, I would question the level of care the owner is providing if they are not fleaing and worming him.

A cat door would give Paul - or any other cat - the freedom to choose where they go when they want shelter and security. It is getting colder as winter approaches and there have been quite a few storms already with probably more to come.

One of my cats Mia was owned but I let Mia make the decision where she wanted to be - she is till here ;)

Regards

Dave
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

if she knows your address and has your phone number the ball is in her court - if she wants to know where Paul is she can ask

how about an outside kennel for him? I have set up two of these https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog ... roof/99847 for my two outdoor cats, and they are in them all the time - the sleeping quarters stay dry and food can be put in the open part - I put a self-heating pad in the 'bedroom'

it's an expense of course for someone else's cat, but then I have always thought peace of mind is worth paying for
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

If you can get hold of a big polystyrene box from a butcher or fishmonger you could cut a piece out for an entrance, use the lid as the floor, with an old towel or similar to lie on, to provide shelter for Paul. I'd put a brick or stone on top to prevent it being blown about by the wind, and place it in a sheltered spot.
SAM_0215 red to 400p.jpg
SAM_0215 red to 400p.jpg (27.6 KiB) Viewed 12053 times
g]
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Sorry to be a bore with this topic - the past few weeks Paul has spent most of his time with me - he has been fed and let out/in when he wants but 10 days ago he was in my house and he suddenly wanted out - I noticed the owner had the patio lights on so I let him out - I did not see him for a week. My neighbour informed me that when she was walking past the house Paul was at the window. Paul had been kept inside for a week with no company and I can assume someone was calling at the house to feed him. I was off work on Monday and Paul appeared in the back garden and came into the house and wanted fed etc.... later in the evening he appeared again and wanted fed which I obliged. He left but later on I heard a cat fight and ran out and called for him, he raced through my garden and into my neighbours garden and I have not seen him since.

It is now 3/4 days and there is no sign of Paul - I have noticed the owner when she comes home at 09.30pm puts on the patio light and keeps the door open and does the same in the morning so expecting Paul to come home. I have been calling for him and have scoured the neighbourhood looking but nothing. I am obviously worried about him and today I was going to put a note through the owners letter-box to say what I have mentioned with a contact number but do not want to seem like I am interfering but at the same time I really am concerned about Paul.

With Jet and Mia I always made sure they were inside in the evenings but I know cats can stray for days at a time plus I have noticed the local cat Fang has not been about in a few days either and with the cold nights and fireworks last night I really am worried for them.

My Dad says not to contact the owner in case she thinks I am trying to claim Paul but my neighbour says Yes leave the letter with the owner just to let her know that Paul has not been with you and you are concerned about him.

Any advice would be welcome.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Andy in times like this my suggestion is to go with what “feels right” ie take notice of your inner voice or gut instinct. When I’ve been in situations & have gone against my gut instinct it’s gone pear shaped. On that note it wouldn’t be friendly if the owner took offence to your enquiry. She too may be worried about him. You could write the letter, sit on it & then decide. However sometimes the written word, tone can be taken out of context. If you’ve spoken to her would you feel comfortable enquiring verbally. Can appreciate how worried you are in Paul’s absence. Let’s know how you go. Vivian
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

No way are you being a bore - I was thinking of posting to ask how you were going on with Paul.

Honestly I couldn't say without knowing his 'owner' but it seems as if a letter or a word with her could be good ideas.

I'd be going frantic!

It is of course possible that Paul's found another home - he sounds a resourceful guy. But not very grateful to you!

I do hope you get to the bottom of this - nothing worse than a cat disappearing. I hope this bad lad is warm and safe, whatever - all the very very best!