Some advice regarding keeping a FIV+ CAT

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
Hendrixfiv
New Cat Chatter

Some advice regarding keeping a FIV+ CAT

Post by Hendrixfiv »

Hi I'm new to the forum. 3 weeks ago we fostered a 3 year old male tabby from a shelter in n.ireland who was FIV positive. He immediately stood out to us and has a unique purr they think which was the result of cat flu some time ago before they got him. He is super friendly and loves getting his belly scratched considering he has been ill since we got him. He has had a runny nose, gloopy right eye and has been sneezing alot, producing thick mucus that needs cleaned and we have to clean his eyes and nose with a wet make up remover type cotten pad.

Despite not being well and constantly sneezing and licking his nose due to his sinuses being infected he still plays , eats etc well

Tonight we brought him to the vet after trying everything and he got antibiotics, cream for his eye and some powder called bisolvon which we sprinkle a pinch of over his food once a day. This is to break up the mucus and help his body get rid of of it, hopefully not all over our house :mrgreen:

Are there any immune system supplements anyone gives their cats or tips about keeping his immune system as best as it can be ?

I would never change him for the world. I think we have a special bond with him having his Fiv and I'm glad we can give him a quiet home where he can relax and enjoy his time with us

He will be an indoor cat for the rest of his time and I'm hoping to build him an outdoor enclosure for the spring and summer months so he can have some sort of freedom. So far he hasn't made any attempt to go outside via the door when its open( we watch like a hawk) and is content lying sleeping on the window ledge in the sun etc

I know to be prompt in getting him to the vet if he is unwell which is what we done tonight.

The Great think about fostering him is that the shelter pays for his treatment if it's connected to the Fiv so we can give him a safe and caring home and he is not stuck in the shelter all his life :P

I set up a Instagram page for him if you want to check out his pictures and follow his journey , it's Hendrix_FIV
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Some advice regarding keeping a FIV+ CAT

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome to you and your cat :)

I’ve never had FIV cats, but I look after feral cats - who may have it we wouldn’t know. The other year, the oldest of the ferals had a terrible cold, runny eyes, sore mouth/throat (obvious how he was eating) sneezing, poor appetite etc. I was really concerned about him, but obviously difficult to get to the vets. I asked my vet what I could do but they can’t give you any prescription without seeing them. She suggested a spot on flea/wormer, and I asked if it would be ok to use some L-Lysine, which I’ve read is great for boosting the immune system of FIV cats, and she said it can’t hurt to try. So I bought some and sprinkled a bit in all their foods until Frosty was better, which didn’t take long. The other two had started sneezing as well but it didn’t develop further than a day or two of a few sneezes so I’m thinking it worked very well on them all. I stopped it then but I've got it in case I need it again. Personally I’m not one for taking anything unless need be, so I would just use it occasionally, a little now and then, or if your cat is seeming run down I would think may be helpful.
Hendrixfiv
New Cat Chatter

Post by Hendrixfiv »

Many thanks for your reply. Yea I've seen people talking about using that, I'll have to give it a try.

I also put him into the bathroom after I took a shower this morning to allow some of the steam to help clear his airways. He didn't mind it and hopefully it helps.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello, and welcome to CC. Sorry I have only just seen your post, I've not been around much lately. First of all thank you so much for taking in an FIV+ cat. They are so often rejected.

My boy Bob is FIV+. We found him as a kitten and did not find out his status for over a year. He eats the same as my other cats and is an indoor/outdoor cat. A few weeks ago he got a nasty abscess on his ear and was unwell for a few days. Our vet, who is well aware of his condition, gave him strong AB's and, on my request, a multivitamin as a boost to what little immune system he has. I don't know what is in that but it did wonders for two other cats I had, one with CKD and one who had gastroenteritis. It gave both of them a lift (probably Vit B12). You could also try bone broth.

Good luck. Please keep in touch.