MooMoo age 16 squamous cell carcinoma

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
modmodgirl
Returning Cat Chatter

MooMoo age 16 squamous cell carcinoma

Post by modmodgirl »

Hi all, I'm posting to figure out symptoms and signs of when to euthanize my dear Moomoo age 16. six months ago she was having tooth trouble, so I took her in the vet and the vet told me that her back lower tooth was falling out. The vet prescribed a dose of liquid antibiotics. She seemed better. In September I noticed that she was drooling out of that same side of the mouth, and the vet felt a hard and large lump on her lower jaw and diagnosed her with SCC. The vet gave her another round of antibiotics and told me that due to her age that surgery, chemo etc were not options. I'm waiting for her to get worse for lack of a better term. I don't want to see her "get worse". She is still eating. Today, I noticed that her eye on the same side of the jaw tumor is weepy. I'm seriously considering euthanizing her before she stops eating and has more pain. I did put her on CBD oil for the pain. Any sympathy, suggestions etc. would be appreciated.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: MooMoo age 16 squamous cell carcinoma

Post by Ruth B »

Suggestions and symptoms I can't help with i've never had a cat with SCC, all I can say is to discuss things with your vet, monitor Moomoo's weight and her attitude, hopefully she will let you know when she has had enough.

Sympathy i can give in buckets, it's a horrible time, trying to decide what is best, not wanting them to suffer and at the same time not wanting to cut their life short, one thing i have heard and do agree with is better a day to early than a day too late. Normally I don't have a problem telling when the time has come, however earlier this year I took in my Mum's old cat,Stroppy, when my Mum had to go into a nursing home (she died a few months later), Stroppy then started losing weight, blood tests were done and the only sign of problems were her blood counts were all over the place, all organs were working fine, she was given steroids to try and help her, but a month later she had lost even more weight, the problem we had was she was still happily plodding about. That last time we took her i had decided that if her weight had gone down i would call it a day rather than put her through extensive testing to try and find the cause, the hardest part was when the vet left us to make a decision Stroppy tried to climb back into the carrier to come home, I almost broke then, but i would just have been bringing her home to starve to death while almost eating more than my other three cats put together. I knew it was better for her to let her go quietly while she was still happy than to wait for her to loose all muscle mass which is what would have happened. It still hurts to think about it, but I know I made the right decision.

Others here have had cats that have suffered from the condition and can tell you more about its progress. I'm sure when the time comes you will make the right decision and let her go peacefully.

Hugs to you and a fuss to Moomoo.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

It's such a hard decision, but her weepy eye could be an indicator it is progressing internally. 6 months is a good length of time to buy with SCC, and you are right about not letting it get too bad.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome, though sorry it's under such sad conditions.

Another saying we have on here is - 'they're all different'; it IS hard to tell sometimes when a cat is ready, but trust your gut instinct. 20 years ago I had a girl who (although they didn't give me much info) I think (from what I've read on here) had scc. The vets were marvellous though and at one point it was thought she was improving; the next morning I knew she was dying. Not wanting her to linger, I got her there fast (she was well accustomed to vet visits by now) and she passed out in my arms before the injection. She was only 9.

Ruth, I never knew that about Stroppy. I saw something similar with my Emily (ckd) a few months back; since the early hours she had been obviously not right at all, very very quiet and worn out, refusing food when the previous day she'd been greedy, and it was obvious that the least movement was distressing. She was feeble. The day was hot and she went to sit in the sun; so glad she could spend her last hours in the garden and in the sun. I had a home visit for her but when she saw the vet and nurse she was cross and the vet was visibly doubtful. I explained and said that this sudden vigour, I thought, was simply adrenalin. On examination the vet agreed with me; it was time. This is awful though when they're alarmed or just determined to leave the room (or get back into their basket.) And you do feel guilty. You feel guilty no matter what; that's grief. But what's the alternative? Would any of us want to linger on in that state?

I'm so sorry, Modmodgirl, for what you and Moomoo are facing, but I think you're being very wise in considering possibilities now rather than lapsing into denial. I wish you both all the best, love and hugs, Lil x
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Hi Modmodgirl,
I'm sorry for your kitty, I know what it means and how hard it is, my cat had SCC too, she was diagnosed in early October 2016, though she had been having it since at least two months earlier, and she died at the end of March 2017, that is 6 months after the diagnosis, and at least 8 months since she developed this issue. At the age of nearly 17, just a few weeks short of it.

I am one of those persons who want to fight till the end, so I had my cat treated with radiation therapy and chemo, and also everything that was available, prayers included.
I asked the vets when it was time to let her go, and the vets always told me that she would have let me know. So I devoted my whole time to her in her last months, until one day she let me know it was time, so I called the vet home and my sweet kitty went to the Bridge.
In the days, weeks, before she was obviously not totally fine, but she was still loving me and was purring and showed me she was willing to live, so I do not regret having waited so long and probably I would do the same if I had the chance to relive those months.

So, listen to your kitty, talk to her and ask her if she still wants to live, to fight, to stay with you.
I did this with my cat, we had a wonderful communication, I always knew what she wanted from me. On the day she left me, I asked her if she was tired and wanted to go, and she said so. I followed her will, I did what she asked me to do.

My heart is with you in this terrible moment! :(
modmodgirl
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by modmodgirl »

Thanks everyone for your kind words and stories about your fur babies. It really helps. It's never an easy decision. Lots of love to all of you xo.
Hugs from California.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Glad we could help and please keep in touch - we'll be thinking about you and MooMoo x
modmodgirl
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by modmodgirl »

Hi all, Faced with a tough decision ( as many of you know and have experienced yourselves) Moomoo is crossing the rainbow bridge tomorrow. Sadly, her symptoms have worsened. More blood in the drool, less energy etc. Lots of love to you and thank you for all of your thoughtful and heartfelt responses.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear that, you'll be in my thoughts
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Very very sorry to hear, much love and hugs to you and MooMoo, Lil x
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am so sorry - it is the right decision, but hurts, I know. My thoughts are with you on this sad day.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

It's a terrible and devastaiting decision, but I understand it.
And I know how it hurts.

Have a safe and warm trip to the Bridge, MooMoo, and say hi to all the other kitties you will meet there. Do not worry, they will be all friends of yours.
And don't forget your mom that loved you so much! :(
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

So sorry to hear it.

Knowing that you are doing the right thing doesn't make it any easier at the time.
modmodgirl
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by modmodgirl »

Thank you again everyone. So sweet. She passed peacefully at 9 am this morning.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

So sorry :( God Bless MooMoo x
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

modmodgirl wrote:Thank you again everyone. So sweet. She passed peacefully at 9 am this morning.
I'm deeply sorry :(
Jules20
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Jules20 »

Have just gone through a similar thing myself and really feel your pain so I am so sorry for your loss. Much love xxx
modmodgirl
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by modmodgirl »

So sorry Jules. xo