Stolen cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Lmd0524
New Cat Chatter

Stolen cat

Post by Lmd0524 »

I stole someone’s cat 2 years ago. He was mistreated and neglected and the owner didn’t even realize he was missing for over a week. I know, I’m not here here to be chastised for what I did. I need him to be able to see vets for check ups and shots but I’m afraid if he’s microchipped he will be taken away from us. Any chance someone else has been trough a similar situation and has insight or ideas?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Stolen cat

Post by Lilith »

First of all, welcome and good on you! :D

I'd do the same - well, I'm guilty of 'enticement' in a couple of cases of neglect :oops: and I've been lucky, because the cats were so neglected that they weren't microchipped and in fact nobody ever asked me if they were.

But nowadays things are more stringent and I understand that yes, unfortunately, if a cat is chipped, the vet must keep it and contact the 'owner' whose name the chip is in.

If this cat has been with you for a couple of years, though, and he had bad owners, there's a strong possibility that he wasn't chipped in the first place - I DO hope so!

In your place I'd say to the vet, no, he isn't chipped. They don't automatically scan them. They never have with mine. Or if you can afford it, ask for a home visit - they won't arrive with a scanner.

There are people on here with much more legal knowledge and who can put it more succinctly than me and hopefully they'll be along soon, and hopefully with more ideas to help, too, but I just wanted to say I sympathise and I think we'll all be on your side.

And again that I DO HOPE there's no chip! Fusses to your boy and I hope he's better soon - and good luck!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

It depends on your vet, they should scan cats they've never seen before that haven't been adopted from a rescue, but not sure if that works in practice.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I would take him to a reputable vet, and if the chip issue comes up simply say he moved in with you some time ago and you assumed from his condition and behaviour he was a stray. Even if he is chipped it is extremely unlikely the owners would have bothered to report him as lost, or even want him back if they were as negligent as you say.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

fjm wrote:I would take him to a reputable vet, and if the chip issue comes up simply say he moved in with you some time ago and you assumed from his condition and behaviour he was a stray. Even if he is chipped it is extremely unlikely the owners would have bothered to report him as lost, or even want him back if they were as negligent as you say.
Sadly you would be surprised! The rescue Lucy is from found a dog in poor health who was chipped, they located the owner and the rescue offered to take her on and pay for her vet treatment, the owner refused - changed their mind 2 days later, but sadly too late for the poor dog. Even if they haven't reported the cat as lost, the vet still has a duty to keep the cat or ask a rescue to keep while the owner is located.
Lmd0524
New Cat Chatter

Post by Lmd0524 »

Thank you all for your ideas and support, I couldn’t imagine my family with out this little guy. I never thought about a home vet, that’s a fantastic idea! Again thank you all SO much
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

or you could buy a scanner, if you don't mind spending the money - it would cost about the same as a vet home visit

an independent rescue might lend you one too, though avoid the registered charities like Cat Protection and RSPCA, as they have rules about such things
Lmd0524
New Cat Chatter

Post by Lmd0524 »

I wasn’t aware these were commercially available, do you have expierence with a specific one? I just looked them up and don’t see how they work? There’s no display that I can see where you’d get a result of if the chip is registered or do they just chirp if a chip is present?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ha, all this gadgetry puzzles me too :)

There's this on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiNc17FpZT0

I bet you could probably pick up a scanner pretty cheaply on ebay or Preloved - never thought about actually buying one - good idea, and put your mind at rest. They're not too bad on Amazon either.

All the best!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Scanners only give you chip numbers, you then need an account to get details.
Lmd0524
New Cat Chatter

Post by Lmd0524 »

At least I’ll know if he’s chipped, thanks for the link and everything else. Scanner on its way..fingers crossed
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Do be aware chips can move, so check all the neck and shoulders
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Good luck and paws crossed - please let us know the outcome :)