CP helping landlords

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

CP helping landlords

Post by booktigger »

Came across an article this morning about CP helping housing providers to encourage responsible cat ownership – part of the article “The charity has now drafted an example of a cat policy which social housing providers will be able to download for free from its website – including simple conditions on cat ownership to ensure tenants have their cats neutered, microchipped and vaccinated.”

While obviously I think any steps to encourage responsible ownership, I’m not sure that going down the route of social landlords having policies in place requiring cats to be neutered, chipped and vacc’d is the way to go – how will that be policed, and what will happen if people don’t want/can't afford these things, are they just going to abandon cats because it will affect their tenancy? I know CP offer neutering help, but even providing a voucher and offering transport doesn’t always work, and things like vaccinations aren’t a one off. Will be interesting to see if it will be transferred into the private rent market.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: CP helping landlords

Post by Lilith »

Ummm... it's a good idea but ...

There are so many slack landlords and slack tenants (and houseowners too!) about that ...

From what I've come across, many people take on a house where they're not allowed to keep pets. Then somehow they acquire a mucky dog (tiptoe through the piles as they hang out the washing) or they think, it'd be nice for the kiddies to have a puppy, or a kitten ... noise, fleas, mess. I had a dreadful neighbour who couldn't cope with the children and cats she had but who longed for a white kitten ... 'that pure clean white ...' What came out of its back end wouldn't be pure clean white but as far she she was concerned that would end up in a neighbour's yard, not hers! She moved, thank heavens, after one cat disappearing (I have my doubts about that) and trying to force the hapless other cat on neighbours with the excuse that she couldn't keep pets in the new house ... I was sorry for him but Molly hated him; wouldn't have worked. Bet you anything the silly twit's got more pets by now :evil:

The landlord didn't give a damn as long as he needn't do repairs and got his rent. And if there was any damage, he'd keep the bond. Quids in.

There are just too many disgusting people about.

On a lighter note it puzzles me about how many restrictions there are about keeping snakes. Snakes don't bark, mess or destroy furniture but on a snake forum I used to belong to, many members were at their wits' end to find rented places. I suggested that they might ask the landlord if they could bring their own carpets (carpet pythons :o :D ) And someone else suggested that it might not be out of place to keep their garters (garter snakes) in their bedroom :shock: :lol: )

Human nature being what it is, I don't think this idea of the CP's is going to work ...
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Well, they are only aiming it at housing associations/councils at the moment, so it wouldn’t stop the issue of people renting privately. I really don’t think that would ever happen, too many landlords only care about getting the money. We acquired 3 cats from a neighbour who had got the initial fluffy white cat, let her have a litter, then got a black and white male to see what colour kittens they would have, sadly only one kitten from 4 litters survived, they kept her and didn’t get her neutered! When they left, the cats came back to us, so they got a dog instead! Didn’t see that in the house for long though. Wow, can’t believe the restrictions about snakes!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

It sounds like good intentions, but you know what they say about the road to hell...

I think a good landlord (and there are a few) would be happy to discuss the possibility of keeping a pet, but so many just find it easier to say 'no pets' and be done with the fuss. However with the number of people living alone rising as well as the number of people in rented accommodation rising I think it is going to be a growing problem. As long as you match the right pet to the right household there shouldn't be too many problems.

I have to admit that snakes are one pet i have considered but never had. However there an awful lot of animals i would love to have as a pet (non illegal) but I know i haven't the space or money to look after them all so I'll stick with cats and fish for the time being.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Another article published this week, this one includes the RSPCA.

In studies of the original research by SpareRoom, think tank members have revealed that 78% of tenants said that they have struggled to find rented accommodation that will allow pets.
Other findings include:
• 21% of tenants keeping a pet in their property without landlord knowledge
• Only 7% of ads in the UK open to ‘consider’ pets – one in 20 homes in the London area
• 69% of landlords stating that they wouldn’t allow pets in their properties
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

This is interesting ...

What about children? 'Mums' and children seem to be regarded as sacred, but in two houses I've bought and lived in, there were two urine-stinking carpets, one in a bedroom slept in by six year old twins, one in the living room where the children had a potty ... and which, while I was viewing, the youngest (four and imo quite capable of going upstairs to the bog though perhaps with company if he was nervous) broke off from his computer game and ... yes well, and fond 'mummy' came to wipe him up ... barf! Puke! In the first house the excuse was - hope you don't mind if I don't let you see the room, because the children are asleep ... hah! :evil:

I had a neighbour whose terribly intelligent and talented and mature child of similar age was still allowed the potty on the carpet in the front room ... I had another neighbour, in a rented house, whose very dysfunctional child (parents ditto; once heard them call his little sister a 'f***ing idiot') was put to bed one afternoon and wrecked the room, blind, everything, what have you.

At least many dysfunctional owners of cats and dogs kick the poor animals outdoors to excrete. Dysfunctional or indulgent parents seem to think it's fine to let their disgusting little darlings foul up the whole house.

If I was a landlord I'd tolerate cats any time!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Give me cats over children any day.

I don't know why but i can find almost any animal's young cute, except humans (and most primates). People i used to work with couldn't quite believe my attitude when someone brought their newborn in, 'Mother and baby are fine and healthy, good that's all i need to know. No i don't want to go out and see the baby, and i certainly don't want to hold it and ooh and aah over it'.

I have to agree houses with children normally seem to be in a worse state than a house with cats (or other animals).
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I did mean to say I do LIKE most children, they can be enchanting, and I've known dreadful children who I've loved and they've been friendly with me, but it's like people, isn't it, you can't like them all, and if they've been badly trained (like badly trained dogs) oh lemme escape.

But you can always forgive the worst of cats lol :lol: