My cat has two problems.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

My cat has two problems.

Post by papa cat »

One of my cats (Billy, who is 6, and is the black one in the picture) has two problems that may or may not be related.

(1) Nearly every day he vomits a hairball with quite a bit of fluid, often on my bed or on the carpet which means the bed has to be changed or the carpet cleaned. :roll:
(2) He has always had loose bowels and wherever he sits or lies he often leaves fecal stains, which have to be cleaned up. When he goes in the litter box his bowel movements are always loose and 'explosive' (a bit like projectile vomiting but from the other end!!)

I took him to the vet and he was put on Hills digestive wet and dry food but that made only a slight difference to him, also a pro biotic (fortiflora) but he wouldn't eat when it was added to his food,
He has been wormed recently but I didn't see anything pass.
I was wondering if I gave him a hairball control food would it be any use? However I am worried that might exacerbate his loose bowel problem.

My other cat (Lizzie, who is 7, and is the black and white one in the picture) has no such problems.

They eat from microchip controlled feeders, but at the moment they are getting the same food (1.5 Whiskas wet pouches and 25 grams dry per day. They usually eat all the dry but leave some of the wet) However it has shown that he would eat far more than she does. She leaves more than him. Whereas when they were fed in shared bowls almost all of it was eaten, clearly he was eating what Lizzie didn't.
Last edited by papa cat on Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My cat has two problems.

Post by Kay »

both problems could well be the result of a food allergy - the hair balls from itchy skin causing overgrooming, and the explosive bowels from intestinal irritation

as the Hills and Whiskas contain grain, and as grain intolerance is quite common, I'd start there - there are a fair number of grain-free foods around, though not many in the supermarket - I'd recommend James Wellbeloved grain free dry and wet to start with as both are available in shops like Pets at Home as well as online, and most cats like JWB

if you are lucky this simple change could make a real difference, and certainly won't make things worse
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

I once had a cat who was prone to vomiting on my bed. I saved myself a lot of trouble by spreading waterproof mattress protectors over the top of the bedding. The protectors usually have elasticated hems, because they are intended to be used like a fitted sheet. I would cut off the elastic so that I could spread the waterproof cover over the bedding.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

Already done that, but it is too hot and sweaty to sleep under so I have to fold it half way back before I get into bed with a plain double sheet thrown over the whole lot but that reduces the area of full protection.
Like most cats he has an uncanny knack of 'chucking up' or having a 'leak from his bottom' in an inappropriate place, ie. where there is little protection and I have to change the cover sheet and/or the duvet cover and sometimes the duvet as well!
Recently I got up at night to go to the bathroom so I had thrown the bedclothes open. I came back to bed to find he had 'chucked up' on the bottom sheet, and the underside of the duvet as well where it had been turned back. That meant a complete strip and remake of the bed.
He got called a few choice names that night !! But there is little point to that as cats have no concept of the wrong place to 'chuck up'
Fortunately I have a waterproof mattress cover so it didn't get through to the mattress
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Okay, I can see you've thought through the "protection" options. In my case, it was an old cat in failing health. He had always slept with me, so trying to shut him out of the bedroom would only cause him to make a lot of noise, or rip up the carpet trying to tunnel under the door. I had some middle-of-the-night bed changes as well - even if the mattress protector caught the mess, I still had to clean it up because it was smelly. (Not his fault - he was ill.) After he vomited on my pillow, narrowly missing my hair, I had to do something more. So I started making him sleep in a crate in the living room. I felt bad about it, but I had to go to work in the daytime, and needed to get my sleep.

I hope some of the food advice helps, and you're able to cure his problems.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

I hope you didn't think I was trying to snub you, no offence was intended.
My cats would do the same at the door if I shut them out.
The crate suggestion is a good idea, I do have a crate/cage I could use a last resort.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Not offended at all, this is just a conversation about a problem we've both experienced.

I had a pet crate with 2 doors, front and side. I was able to secure a covered litter tray to the side door, giving my cat an "en suite," and leaving all the space in the crate for bed, food and water.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

That was a good idea, I was wondering how I would fit a litter tray in.
Billy would be less bothered being kept out of the bedroom than Lizzie. She gets really upset if she is separated from me

BTW I now often call him Shicky not Billy, because he sh1tz and sicks everywhere !!!!
Last edited by papa cat on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

I have heard of cats needing cage rest being given 2 crates put together. The owner can shut the cat into one while cleaning the other. In our case that wouldn't be needed as the cat can be let out in the daytime.

Interesting what you say about Billy and Lizzie. It's usually said that boys are more affectionate than girls, and that's what I've found in my (admittedly limited) experience. But it sounds like yours are the other way around.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

He is very affectionate, loves head rubs and belly tickles but on his terms and only when he feels like it. He hates being handled or picked up. There are times he can be a bit stand-offish and detached which is why I feel he will be less bothered by being shut out of the bedroom.
He was born feral and trapped at around 6 weeks. I think he still remembers the trauma of being trapped and handled against his will when he was a kitten.
When I got him from CP, I picked him up when I got him indoors and he emptied his bowels in terror...that was all over my bed also !!!

Lizzie loves all of the above and cuddles and will lie in my arms like a baby having her tummy rubbed, but she gets separation anxiety if we are apart
Last edited by papa cat on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

Kay wrote:both problems could well be the result of a food allergy - the hair balls from itchy skin causing overgrooming, and the explosive bowels from intestinal irritation

as the Hills and Whiskas contain grain, and as grain intolerance is quite common, I'd start there - there are a fair number of grain-free foods around, though not many in the supermarket - I'd recommend James Wellbeloved grain free dry and wet to start with as both are available in shops like Pets at Home as well as online, and most cats like JWB

if you are lucky this simple change could make a real difference, and certainly won't make things worse
I have ordered some from Pets at home and I can collect it from my local branch in a couple of days time. I will see how it works.
One minor problem is it's quite a lot more expensive than the likes of Whiskas and I am a pensioner on a limited income. For the same reason I try to keep vet visits to a minimum.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I'm in the same position - but I think you'll find that the better quality stuff, because it contains less cheap fillers, is more satisfying, so they need less of it

if cutting out cereals improves him, there are cheaper foods I can recommend from online retailers, but because the JWB is specifically aimed at cats with sensitivities it is a good place to start
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

I started feeding him with James Wellbeloved Grain-free wet and dry three days ago and already there is an improvement !
He brought up a hairball today and it had almost no fluid or stomach contents in it, and his diarrheoa seems to have stopped.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Sounds promising - if the hairballs lessen too then grain might well be the culprit

A fortnight on a grain-free diet should give a definitive result either way
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

Futher changes.
He has become more friendly and affectionate !
Which I suppose makes sense because if I had a constant pain or irritation I wouldn't feel very sociable either.