Pippin is getting fat...

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Pippin is getting fat...

Post by fjm »

I took Pip for a cartrophen jab today, and he now weighs just short of 6 kilos - up 200g on his last weigh in a couple of months ago! He is too arthritic to want to play or run around much, and his favourite activities are eating and sleeping. It is hard to find anywhere to feed Tilly that he doesn't find a way of struggling up to, then jumps down and hurts himself. I may have to resort to microchip feeders, but does anyone have simple, inexpensive ideas or ensuring both cats get enough but Pip does not get too much?! Like most cats, they like to browse, so I put food out twice a day and they eat it over the course of several hours.
Last edited by fjm on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Pippin is getting fat...

Post by MarySkater »

In the days before microchip feeders, I had two cats, one of whom was a grazer, and the other a hoover for food! I solved that by fitting a microchip cat flap to a pet crate, and feeding the grazer in the crate, which only she could get into. But that wouldn't be much cheaper than just getting two microchip feeders, and would take up more space in your house. Sorry I can't think of any other options. I use microchip feeders now, and find them very good.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hah - so is my Mousey :D

Could it be due to their visits to the Hyperthyroid Cat Centre? Mouse is transformed from the nervous gaunt creature she was a year ago. She's kept her figure, mind, but she's errrm, curvier, with a magnificent coat, and for the first time in her life she doesn't run away from visitors. Adrian, my ex, keeps exclaiming - 'isn't she BIG!' For a cat of almost 17 she's looking great. Sleek.

I'm sorry I don't know about microchip feeders - I'm the original Luddite and technology terrifies me. My sympathies though - it's a problem if you have a Hoover in the house.

Love to Pippin and the gang :)
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I think there is a connection to the hyperthyroidism - I have probably been overfeeding him for years to compensate as it gradually developed, and after the treatment he was so wan and wobbly and skinny that I gave him even more! I'll try the really easy things first - just reduce the amount I put out for them and give Tilly a bit extra if she asks, but it's good to know the microchip feeders are effective. I have an uneasy feeling Sophy (papillon) would find a way of cheating the system though, and she would certainly spend the whole day hovering close by on the off chance. I note that someone feline has picked all the chicken out of the breakfast bowl, and left the boring, healthy complete beef - can't be that hungry!

Like Mouse Pippin is looking hefty and glossy in his thick coat - a real transformation from the beginning of the year. It is an amazingly effective treatment.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

you might find one of the denser, less jellified, grain-free foods would fill him up more

Animonda Carne, Integra, Kattovit, and Leonardo for example, all sold by Zooplus
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

At the moment I cook for him - a variety of complete minces from DAF, plus a little chicken, salmon etc, so it is about as dense as it can be. He is thriving on it (a bit too much so...), but it might actually be a good idea to add some jelly to make the bowl look fuller, even if it just stops me putting too much in!