The mysterious case of the knife in the night

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

The mysterious case of the knife in the night

Post by fjm »

I came down this morning to find my big kitchen knife in the middle of the kitchen floor. Odd... Then I found the chopping board, also on the floor... They had been next to the sink, waiting to go in the dishwasher in the morning, and beside them was the animals' breakfast, defrosting. I don't think it needs a Poirot to work out the plot and identify the culprit - Pippin can't jump that high, and nor can the dogs! Now where is Tilly hiding...
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: The mysterious case of the knife in the night

Post by Ruth B »

Oh dear, i have nightmares regarding cats and kitchen knifes, particularly as i insist on mine being nice and sharp and pointed, and having one cat who will happily get on the side to see if there is any plates or otherwise in the washing up bowl that have anything left on them. I'm not sure whether it is a good sign or not when you have become so used to making sure that every thing is rinsed clean, knives are put at the bottom of the bowl and plate are put upside down on top of them.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I did double check that she was OK. I will certainly be more careful in future - the knife isn't very sharp, but could have hurt anyone underneath it when it fell even so. Another thing to add to the list of kitchen checks - cover the butter, heavy bowl over defrosting cat and dog food, remove all knives...
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh the bad lass! No matter what precautions you take, the little horrors will find something ...

I find a very good 'food safe' when you don't want to leave something in the fridge, is the microwave, or for larger packages, the oven. They CAN'T open those ... can they? :?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

One of the cats we had when i was a kid, Fangs, learnt how to open the fridge door, she only did it the once and then was fooled by the film wrap on a pack of meat, it had been dragged half way across the kitchen floor and there were several puncture marks in it, but she hadn't got at the meat.

My oven door is one that is hinged at the bottom and opens downwards, I have yet to find Saturn hanging of the handle trying to pull it down, but part of me thinks it is just a matter of time.

There were times when my sister and I were sorting out my Mum's house and I would see her leave a part used cooked chicken on the side and always had to keep myself from grabbing it and putting it in the microwave, it just seemed so wrong to be able to leave something like that out.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I had a Beagle many years ago, who opened the fridge door at night, pulled out the pyrex dish with his next weeks dinners in it, carefully put it on the floor, removed the lid without chipping anything and then scoffed the lot, followed by half a flan. He was forgiven because he was just recovering from gastro-enteritis and it was the first meal he had kept down for a week - I think it was packed in so tightly it couldn't come out!
Because of the depredations of Tubby Tay from next door (who is not supposed to eat ordinary cat food because of his kidney problems), I never leave food out until after my Tilly has come in for the evening and I have locked the cat flap for the night.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

We had a German pointer for many years came to us in a state of severe starvation and all his life when left he would open the kitchen cupboards and carefully carry all food items to his bed being a trained gundog he would carry anything without damage he didn't eat it he wasn't a greedy dog it was like he collected it in case we didn't come back bless him I will always miss that dear friend