My cat has gone missing and I am truly heartbroken, Bridgend (South Wales) (FOUND)

Post details of LOST CATS here (NB: PLEASE put your Location in the Subject line)
llitam12
Returning Cat Chatter

My cat has gone missing and I am truly heartbroken, Bridgend (South Wales) (FOUND)

Post by llitam12 »

Hi everyone,

A little new to this but I wanted to share my story with you, even though I'm writing this in tears it's helping me to get this off my chest, so if you read this thank you. I had a dog for four years (with my ex-partner) but had to give him up in February when I became single as I could no longer give him the time he needed, this alone broke my heart once this year. Living alone, it took me 8 months to decide maybe I could get a cat to keep me company, so I did. I rescued my little Lenny towards the end of September from the cat's protection center in Swansea. He was perfect in every way and I soon fell in love with him. He was everything I needed in my life and the perfect little companion for a busy and single 28-year-old. I let him out after about a month of being kept in, but he stayed close by and came when called, this continued, he was always close and came in for the night to sleep, going out early but was always close by. Usually, he was on the doormat waiting for me when I arrived home from work, ready for food and a cuddle. But then his collars started disappearing, the first collar was lost ten days after he started going out, I thought 'okay he's new to this environment, he's probably just lost it'. But the weird thing was this collar was placed on my doormat by someone, not on my wall or my drive, but lain on my doormat like some weird omen. The second collar disappeared within a week of him wearing it and again I thought okay maybe again this loss was accidental. Last Friday (30th Nov) the third collar disappeared again just 7 days after me putting it on him. Then Monday (03rd Dec) at 6am he woke me up, as usual, to go out, i let him out and went back to bed, at 8 am I let him back in and he was sick three times downstairs, what looked like a mix of tuna cat food and grass, within the two hours of being out he not only been fed by someone (as I had not fed him between 6 and 8 am) but it was potentially something nasty as he was sick (which was also unusual for him). He then went up in my spare bedroom curled up on the windowsill, stupidly I didn't even think and left the bathroom window open before going to work. I asked my mum to check on him at midday and she said he was not around, the food in his cat bowl untouched (which is highly unusual for him), when I came home he was gone and I have not seen him since. Its been nearly 4 days since he's gone but to be quite honest I'm pretty distraught. Mum and I searched Monday night for him in the school behind our house calling and looking but nothing. Mums knocked around several neighbours's who have said they had seen him prior to Monday but not after. Oddly, one neighbour who's husband despises cats saw my mum today, she asked if she might have seen my cat and the lady replied 'oh what colour was it?, oh yes I was cooking steak and he tried coming in our kitchen window Friday, I shoo'ed him out'. Now in the past, this lady's husband fell out with our other neighbour about their siamese which ventured into their garden occasionally, it ended with the Siamese owner having to build an outdoor run, and having the cat as a house cat because the neighbours husband threatened to do something nasty. I'm wondering now if maybe he fed my cat poison because it tried to enter his house, and now the cat is either very ill somewhere lying low, has died and the neighbour has collected the body so it can't be tested or he has died somewhere and hasn't been found. I've registered his microchip as lost and continue to look for him nightly but truth be told I'm absolutely gutted. I kept the sick which I cleaned up and its frozen atm, I'm a PhD student and I work in an analytics lab and probably have the equipment needed to test the sick for any toxins to check for foul play, which I'm going to look into. But otherwise, I don't know what to do, he was neutered and wouldn't necessarily have strayed due to that but its so out of character for him, I can't help but think he's passed away which I could accept if I knew for certain and there was a body. But right now, I'm checking windows constantly, hearing phantom 'meows' and running to the door and crying all too often. I just wanted to share my story with the community and I'm sorry it's not a nicer one but I'm struggling and hoping with all my heart he returns but right now, I can't see it. His missing advert is posted below. Thanks for taking the time to read this, its helped me a little just to write it. x

https://www.animalsearchuk.co.uk/ALP361976
llitam12
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: My cat has gone missing and I am truly heartbroken, Bridgend (South Wales) (FOUND)

Post by llitam12 »

After posting this last night, somehow by divine intervention, I had a call at 8.15 am this morning from a local vet. They had scanned Lenny's chip and called me to let me know they had him. Yesterday he had apparently wandered into the local hospital (about 2 miles from where I live), the amazing nurses there kept him in for the night and took him to the vets in the morning. I have no idea where he has been for the last 4 days or how he ended up two miles away but right now I'm just grateful to have him home as this week has been an emotional rollercoaster. I will definitely be keeping him in for the next few weeks but for now at least he's home.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My cat has gone missing and I am truly heartbroken, Bridgend (South Wales) (FOUND)

Post by Janey »

:D That’s great news.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I wonder if he was dumped by someone

but a great advertisement for microchips, and an even bigger one for the kind hearted people who took care of him and got him to the vet
llitam12
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by llitam12 »

Thanks, Janey and Kay :)

I wonder if he was dumped too but yes thank god for his microchip! and the kind people who kept him for me!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

What great news. The joy when you get them back almost makes up for the heartache when they go missing.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Great news to hear you got him back, those days with out him must have been horrific.

My one thought is to keep him in for a few weeks if he will accept it. Like you, I do find what has happened suspicious and you don't want to tempt fate a second time straight away. While it might be coincidental, cats do throw up from time to time, at least if you keep him in and he does it again you know there is nothing suspect about it. If someone in the area does have something against cats you don't want to be putting him at risk again straight off.
llitam12
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by llitam12 »

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I thought this too Ruth B, a bit afraid of letting him out now but figured I'll keep him in for some time and just see how it goes. He tolerates being in but you can tell he's keen to go out. In the meantime, he's getting spoilt by me :)