Cats and Christmas trees!!!!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Cats and Christmas trees!!!!

Post by vanilla »

How do you stop your cat from using your Christmas tree as the ultimate cat tree!?!!?! Mine constantly bats the baubles and tries to chew the lights! Arrgghhh!!!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cats and Christmas trees!!!!

Post by Ruth B »

I have an easy way of stopping the cats climbing the Christmas tree, the tree stays in the loft.

To be honest the last few years have all had different reasons.

2015 I had only had the youngsters since April and they were about 1 year old and the lounge was still Freyja's safe room when she got upset. My Dad was bed bound in his home in Monmouth so we knew we would be down there for Christmas, so not putting up a tree didn't seem a hardship.

2016 The first Christmas without Dad we decided to have it at Mum's in Monmouth again, and as she had arthritis i offered to take my tree and decorations down and put it up in her lounge, it's only about a 4' tree so sits nicely on a coffee table and her two aging cats weren't interested in it.

2017 Mum was taken in to Abergavenny Hospital at the start of December, and as I live in Wolverhampton and my Sister lives in Liverpool we had to spilt the month spending time in Monmouth to go and visit her and trying to carry on with our own lives as well. She spent Christmas and New Year there, so needless to say we weren't exactly in the Christmas spirit most of the time, we tried to be for her, but a lot was put on while in the hospital and dropped when we left.

She died earlier this year and it seems we have spent the whole year sorting out her house and the estate, we are still waiting for the final details from the solicitor. Needless to say I barely know what day it is. I know Christmas is coming but by mutual agreement my sister and i are having quiet ones, not bothering about presents for each other just cards. A friend has offered to do us Christmas dinner, as he has had no family for several years he has spent Christmas with mine, even coming down to Monmouth with us, my Mum was of the opinion that no one should spend Christmas alone. So once again my house is entirely un Christmassy, not a decoration in sight.

I have a craft fair next Saturday when a single strand of tinsel will be used to decorate the stall and a Christmas T shirt will be worn, I'll be putting on a smile and wishing people a Merry Christmas, even though I don't have any Christmas feel about me. In some ways it seems that Christmas is something you do for others and not for yourself. Maybe that is just me at the moment and i have had some fabulous times in the past.

Hopefully everyone else will have a wonderful Christmas and there won't be too many accidents with cats and trees.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Awww id like to send you a virtual hug. Just cos.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Thanks for the hug.

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread to pour out all my woes, yesterday was just a bad day for me with it and I started rambling.

I will say having seen some videos of cats and Christmas trees i do wonder just what the owners were thinking, particularly when the cat is chewing the lights cable, I certainly wouldn't be busy filming it, I would be frantically getting the cat off it or the plug out of the socket.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Ruth B wrote:Thanks for the hug.

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread to pour out all my woes, yesterday was just a bad day for me with it and I started rambling.

I will say having seen some videos of cats and Christmas trees i do wonder just what the owners were thinking, particularly when the cat is chewing the lights cable, I certainly wouldn't be busy filming it, I would be frantically getting the cat off it or the plug out of the socket.
Ramble away Ruth, many of us have had years like that in the past. In March this year my mum lost her cousin ( back story - in 1938/9 (?) mum's mother walked out on her and her dad and she went to live with her uncle and his family. Her cousin was like a sister). A week later, my cousin (the last one on dad's side) passed away. Then in July mum's sister died. I was writing Christmas cards today and realised there are fewer this year. :( That, sadly, is life.

But back to cats and Christmas trees. There is a video (probably one of many) doing the rounds of cat owners efforts to stop their kitties destroying the tree. One was a tree stripped of all but it's top branches - that wouldn't stop mine, they'd take a running jump at it from the sofa. Another solution was to hang the tree from the ceiling - fine if you live in a Baronial hall, not so good in a cottage. The one I liked, and sympathised with, the most was a beautifully decorated tree wrapped in clingfilm, now THERE'S an idea! It would also stop Purdy from peeing on it. :? :lol:

Last Christmas Freddie and Billy were tiny, curious kittens and could be forgiven for climbing up inside the tree and swinging from the tinsel. Sadly, they have not grown out of mischief, just got worse. Courage mon brave, I will NOT be beaten. I LIKE Christmas trees. Now pass me the cheap, plastic decorations - and a brandy! :D ;)
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

One Christmas we had a whole litter of Siamese kittens. Didn't really need any other decorations on the tree, which was just as well, given how many got shaken off!