Cat litter smells

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
SuttonRider
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Cat litter smells

Post by SuttonRider »

Hi all, New here and new to cats. I expect this has been covered many times before, but I have a 1 year old and feed him pouch Felix and dry food, he loves it all. For the litter I use Catsan, but will be trying the cheap supermarket £1.55 for 10L stuff. When he does a poop it stinks, and I mean stinks, enough to curl the wallpaper off the walls even though he covers most of his business up. Can anyone recommend either a different food, litter or spray that would allow the wallpaper to settle down again and stop me reaching. Thanks
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat litter smells

Post by Ruth B »

I use Catsan Clumping litter and I have to say it is the best odour reducing litter I have come across. While it does stink to high heaven when they have just gone the scent fades quickly so I don't end up getting up in a morning and gagging as they have used it during the night.

The only way to really stop it smelling is to remove the offending offering and bag and bin it quickly, even then it will take a while for the lingering scent to fade.

You can get bottles of odour remover to spray on litter trays, I keep a bottle of Hartz Nodor Litter Spray to hand and I do find it helps, I also give the bag I put any waste in a quick spray to keep it from smelling the bin out. An odour remover is better than a scented spray as some cats can find the scents offensive and decide to go somewhere other than the litter tray, the same can be said of scented litters. A cats sense of smell is far greater than ours, so what to us is pleasant to them is over powering,
SuttonRider
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by SuttonRider »

Thanks Ruth. I got to it within minutes, but it was still bad and it lingered in the room for well over an hour. I'll pick some Hartz Nodor Litter Spray up tomorrow when I go shopping, see if that helps. Also, I'm thinking of trying Cats Best Oko Plus litter. Any other suggestions most welcome.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I think, like quite a few of us on here, I have tried every kind of litter available - I prefer a litter that doesn't track too much, is not too heavy to lug around or to dispose of easily in the rubbish, and which is fairly odour-free, and find a silicate litter satisfies these criteria the best - I keep some litter in a plastic jug to pour over any exposed poop, and that kills the smell, and also dries it out if left for half-an-hour or so

for economy and smells the fine-grained clumping litter is excellent, but the bags are too heavy for me, and the tracking is awful

the wood and plant based litters are usually quite light, and I like the idea of them, but they too track a lot and don't hide smells as well

disposing of litter in landfill worries me though, and I plan to try a wood based one again, and burn it in a garden incinerator - if that works I'll change it more often and put up with the tracking
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Possibly try one of the hooded litter trays, which might keep the pong in?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I home cook for my animals, using mostly balanced pet minces from Durham Animal Foods, and one of the benefits is far less smell. Both cats go outside but I pooper scoop as much as possible and while it is never a pleasant task it is much easier when they are fed on real meat than on commercial foods.
suziesingh
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by suziesingh »

I use Vita pet brand clumping litter.
It specifies Powerful Odour Control.
I use the one for Laundry. But they do have a Kitchen/Bathroom one (could be scented). And I have seen a Garage one too at the supermarket.
Catotum
Experienced Cat Chatter

Re: Cat litter smells - why? Suggestion.

Post by Catotum »

Ummm - it isn't normal for cat faeces to smell much different from any faeces. I can't help wondering if the cat is OK medically? I assume he is a neutered male, because, if not, he will be smelly & a great problem. Un-neutered males wander & create homeless kittens.

I have recently changed to flushable cat litter. It really makes the whole process much more pleasant & easy to cope with. There are a variety on the market made from Corn Kernels & entirely biodegradable. Urine clumps beautifully & is easy to remove. It is entirely biodegradable. The best I've found on the market to-day is Benek's. They do "perfumed" options but I've avoided these as they might upset a cat's nose or skin. Odour is well controlled & waste can be flushed on a daily basis. Yes, it is more expensive but it is also wondrously efficient. Litter trays are easy to clean without the gungy clay of many. Do put a thick enough layer in - just a tiny bit won't clump properly
SuttonRider
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by SuttonRider »

When I originally posted I had only had the cat for a few days, he was a rescue cat and being new to being owned by a cat I didn't know what to expect. Now I have been feeding him with mainly Felix pouches and a small amount of dry he's not too bad in the smelly department. So I think it was just his food causing the problem.

Thanks to all for your replies and help.
Sandra b
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Sandra b »

Hi everyone, New to the forum so first post! I use Worlds best cat litter which is brilliant. It is a bit more expensive but worth every penny. It is dust free so perfect for my asthmatic cat. It is also a natural product ( whole kernel maize corn) which is a bonus. Only thing I would say if you are house proud it is a bit messy, normally uscatfolk don’t give a damn about that lol. Really good odour control and lasts for ages.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

i had never heard of the corn kernel based cat litter until reading this thread, and as at them moment the price of the Catsan Clumping litter I normally use is skyrocketing I have decided to give it a try.

I've ordered 4 bags of Siria off Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N11XPAR/ ... 41_TE_dp_1

I was just going to get two bags but with the postage cost it made sense to get the 4, and if mine won't use it I'm sure I can find someone out there with a cat that will.

It should be arriving sometime this week, so when it does, I'll let you all know whether it is any good.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

World's Best is superb! Definitely the best litter I (or rather my cats) have used, and it's flushable if you've got a bathroom tray ... but ... :( Molly didn't like it. She left The Pile in front of the dishwasher and polluted the front room carpet to such an extent that I had to chop a third of it away ... lovely (not!)

Awkward little git!

So we're back to messy clay chip it out the tray litter and dumping smelly bagfuls in the wheelybin litter :evil:

I don't understand why because World's Best is beautiful litter, but when you have a Molly in charge ... :x
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Half the problem was trying to compare like with like, the Catsan comes in 5l bags and the tray takes about 7 - 8l to fill when cleaned fully (its a big tray) so I could work out how much of the Siria I would need easily and compare the costs. I then looked at the Worlds Best and they are sold by weight not volume, and some are corn kernel and some are wood based, there are single and multicat household options, and in the end i just got confused and opted for this one, one person also mentioned that this was a finer grain than Worlds Best and mine are used to a fine grain litter. The reviews are a bit of a mixed lot but they always are for something like this.

i can start mixing it with the Catsan when it comes and see what my mob think of it.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I bought a bag of Green Cat litter, that is also similar to Cats Best, but I'm not overly keen on it, not sure it clumps that well and it definitely scatters as much - I swept the cat room yesterday, walked in this morning and you couldn't tell! I'm currently trying to find a clumping litter that all 3 will use, clumps well and doesn't track, not convinced I'm going to manage it although we are only on bag 1 of 4.
Last edited by booktigger on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

A cat litter that all the cats will use, clumps well, doesn't track, masks any smell and is flushable.

Somehow I have a feeling we are back to needing a miracle if we are hoping someone will come up with that one.