How much food

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
SuttonRider
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

How much food

Post by SuttonRider »

Sorry another question. How much should I give him? He always seems to be hungry. I've looked on the internet and just get conflicting answers.

He's about 1 year old, weighs around 10Lbs, at the moment stays indoors (Only got him a few days ago).

At the moment he gets in the morning an egg cup full of dry in the afternoon a 100g pouch of Felix and another egg cup of dry in the evening. Also the odd treat at anytime.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Re: How much food

Post by Sniper1 »

It does depend on the quality of flood you feed and his activity levels if he's a big lad personally I would double that using premium quality food and monitor his weight
SuttonRider
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by SuttonRider »

Thanks Sniper1, As I said he is only indoors at the moment and for the next few weeks and he is getting Felix pouches and some cheap dry food, I'm not sure if that counts as quality food or not.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

For a 1 year old 4.5kg cat (assuming he isn't fat at the moment), I think I would give him 2 Felix pouches (which are quite OK) a day plus some 20-30g of dry (not sure how many egg cups that is).
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I use Felix As Good as it Looks and normally reckon on 2 pouches a day, with unlimited access to Purina One dried food. Mine do have access to outside, but at this time of year they are more likely to be found asleep in a radiator hammock.

What to feed is a commonly asked question here and a lot of us do have differing opinions on what is good food, in the end as long as it is a 'complete' food, not a 'supplemental' or 'complementary' one in the UK you should be fine and then it is just personal choice by you and the cat.

The best way to check how much he needs to eat is to keep an eye on his weight, if it starts to go up you might have to reduce the amount given, if he is always hungry and his weight is stable then you can increase how much he has. While some cats, like some humans, will over eat, most will actually regulate themselves as long as they don't get too bored.
SuttonRider
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by SuttonRider »

Thanks Alan and Ruth, all good advice, I'll give him an extra pouch tomorrow (he'll think its Christmas) and move him slowly over to the tins, it seems to be better value. Half a 400g tin of Whiskas and 25g to 30g of dry a day. (25g is about an egg cup). Plus the odd treat. BTW I don't think he is fat, he looks about right at the moment.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

You may find he doesn't like tinned food and I find it harder with one cat as they don't always like the second half of the tin. You don't say what dry food, but cheap dry foods are full of fillers so they don't satisfy them as well
SuttonRider
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by SuttonRider »

I can't remember which dry I brought, I don't have the packet as I've put the contents into a plastic food box. I will keep what you say in mind when I come to buy some more. I'll get a couple of tins tomorrow and see how it/he goes.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

If you do opt for tins you might want to try warming it up for a few seconds in a microwave (in the bowl not in the tin). one reason pouches seem to be preferred is that tins are kept in the fridge and a cat normally likes it food at body temperature.

It is also well worth checking the shops for offers, Asda is a prime culprit for it, trying to make out that something is a bargain when it isn't, but at the same time if you check the labels you can find some offers that are well worth getting, assuming you have storage space for it. Checking on line is also worth while as some place can be even cheaper, assuming delivery isn't a problem for you.