Confused about a cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
SuttonRider
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Confused about a cat

Post by SuttonRider »

I've had this cat nearly 2 weeks, got him from the RSPCA rescue place. He's about 9 months (ish) old. Now I may be expecting too much to soon or it maybe the cat. He is quite happy sleeping on my bed at night, sits / sleeps on the other end of the settee with me during the day. But when I go to fuss him unless there's food involved he mostly pulls away. Even on the odd occasions he does take a fuss its not for more than a minute or so. I've tried approaching him from the front under the chin and with just one finger, but it make no difference. He's never scratched or bitten me while I've be trying to touch him. On occasions I've needed to pick him up, he's OK with that for about 30 seconds. So, I'm a bit confused, is it him or is it me, does he need more time to settle in.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Confused about a cat

Post by Ruth B »

It is still early days so I wouldn't worry too much.

As a rescue you never can be really sure what his history with humans was like, it could be he is just not used to being fussed and associates hands with hitting him so is confused by the whole fuss thing and wary of anyone reaching out to him.

An area I've found that most cats enjoy being rubbed and scratched it at the base of the back of the ears rather than under the chin, and along the back just in front of the base of the tail is another one. Just be warned, rubbing the base of the ears might start the back leg going in a scratching motion, this isn't a problem and is just a reflex thing, but I have got scratched a few times when i get it just right.

Take it slow and let him get used to the idea that hands an nice things to have rub and scratch you and i'm sure he will be fine.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I brought a timid cat round to the idea that human hands are very good for cats by scratching him from a bit of a distance with one of those wooden backscratchers - he loved it, and never noticed when I substituted my hand :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Betterware-Bam ... kscratcher
SuttonRider
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by SuttonRider »

Thanks Ruth and Kay, this is all good advice, much appreciated.