Snap crackle and pop

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Snap crackle and pop

Post by Judy Barnett »

Well, here we are again, its fireworks time. Fortunately for us we have a cat who is so laid back she's horizontal, literally at the moment. Bonfire night and new years eve are a mild inconvenience for her. She might lift her head from the bed once or twice as if to say, 'mummy will you pleas tell them to stop that noise', before drifting off into unconsciousness again. For anyone out there whose fur baby is upset by the din I hope you go on alright. Personally, I wouldn't be bothered if they banned fireworks for domestic use. What an old humbug I am!! :D Anyway a very happy New Year everyone. All the best xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Snap crackle and pop

Post by booktigger »

They have been going off since 7 here! Luckily mine and my neighbours aren't bothered. I'd be happy for them to be banned. Happy New year x
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

We can beat you, they were setting them off here as my OH came home from work at 4.30 this afternoon. I don't actually mind if they are a steady flow rather than all at Midnight, Freyja goes into panic mode if she realises the cat flap is locked and starts doing wall of death around the house, it's better for her to decided to stay in of her own accord and hope the other 2 don't decided to take a wander either. Saturn is looking a bit concerned on the bed and Tiggy is totally unbothered by them, although she does sometimes want to sit on a windowsill and watch the light show. I once read that the best thing to do with nervous cats is to just behave normally, if you get upset and try and reassure them they will just think that there is something to be concerned about.

People might think me an old humbug, but I would happily see them banned for home use and organised displays only. At their heart Fireworks are explosives, if you had any other type of explosive in the house with out a licence you would be arrested, thrown in jail, and the key thrown into the river. One day someone will realise that explosives are easy to buy from October to January (and probably at other times if you know where to look) and then there will be an outcry on why they hadn't been banned sooner.

Sorry rant over.

Hope you all have a Happy and not too Noisy New Year. I plan on going to bed soon, the new year will still be here in the morning whether I am awake to see it in or not, i'll get woken up for it anyway by the fireworks.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

My firework loving neighbours are spending New Year in Amsterdam, and although there were a few rumbles earlier in the evening no one close by is planning any this year, as far as I know. The cats are not fussed, but the dogs get very upset. In fact I had better head off to bed, to ensure everyone is safely asleep under the duvet before midnight! I think silent fireworks with music would be wonderful - just as much OOOOHH and AAAAHH, but much less BANG!

Happy New Year, all.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I like them, but not when used by idiots. My guys are unfazed - in fact I never have had a dog or cat bothered by them or thunderstorms either but I (and they) have been lucky and yes I'd support the banning of them, amazed it hasn't happened yet after singed fingers in childhood and the horror stories seen in the press. Eat salt, drink alcohol? :o :shock: :( Let your child or partner set off fireworks - oh what jolly family fun! :?

The fingers are suffering again after Molly leapt at them when she saw me reaching for a light switch.

Life with a manic cat, I guess. She's now snuggled up, nattering and wanting fusses. Grrr snarl awww ... just don't do it again!

Gory new year, guys! :D
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Happy new year folks. We have had the whizz bangs going off at random times for several nights. Tilly has not taken much notice of them, but has been indoors anyway well before nightfall these last few days.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I hope you all have a much better start to the year than us - still no sign of Freddie.

Over here in NI they have the right idea about fireworks. You have to purchase a licence to buy them. That puts off most people and stops kids buying them. It was very quiet here last night. Don't think I have seen any for sale in local shops either.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Still keeping my fingers crossed that Freddie will just turn up and demand to be fed like nothing has happened. I'm glad to hear it was quiet round you I was thinking about him last night and hoping he had found somewhere to hole up.

Midnight was mad here, we went to bed as normal then got woken up as everyone set of their fireworks, Tiggy and Saturn were curled up on the landing unphased, but Freyja even tried to dash past my legs to get into the bedroom and under the bed, she normally wont' come anywhere near feet. I kept to the normal routine of not letting them in so I think she went to hide in the cupboard in the lounge or under a sofa instead. Part of me wanted to follow her down and tell her it would be alright, but that would just have made things worse, she is better off just being left to find her own hiding place and hopefully will learn that neither the humans or the other cats think anything is wrong.

She is a bit worked up still this morning, but settling down quickly.

A Happy New Year to you all.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Yes indeed - I keep looking for news of Freddie! EVERYTHING crossed here for his safe return!

Comparatively quiet here for an inner-city area last night ... a few booms and bangs (that would be the pubs) and then I expect everyone toddled off home with a skinful ... Errm I had one myself :oops: :)

The loudest bang I ever heard was just outside Thornes Park in Wakefield on the afternoon of 31 January 1999. I owned a terrier then and had been walking her; we were about to cut across the park when something went off ... the ground vibrated! My Lizzie, bless her, never turned a curly wire hair! Was that loud! I even suspected a bomb.

Further good wishes for Freddie and for the people in Queensland too - isn't that where our Mayday and her cats live? Cyclone developing in the south it seems.

Please please no disasters this new year!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Yes still hoping for good news about Freddie when I look on here.
I once knew an English Bull Terrier that always used to hide behind the sofa whenever fireworks went off. My little cat Sally didn't like fireworks at all and hid in the wardrobe.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Folks yes Lilith we’re in Qld but the cyclone up North. We have organised fireworks eg Sydney Harbour Bridge, we have barges on the Brisbane River. Some rebels manage to get their hands on a few loose ‘bangers’. Alas I couldn’t get into NY as upset about Freddie. Last night watched the “Military Tatoo” but couldn’t get into it as mind on Freddie. Even forgot Federer & Williams were meeting in the Hopman Cup’s mixed doubles .. Switzerland won. I keep telling myself Freddie’s locked up & as folks start arriving home...If only Billie could talk. All the best for 2019 & +ve thoughts from me & the Famous Five From Oz for Sue.