Yes...it has been asked before, but...

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Yes...it has been asked before, but...

Post by Diana »

Metacam!!! Need I say more?

I have used it before but never long term, only for few days. But what are all these horror stories about really? I never really took much interest to the whole debate but now I have as my Shelly could have arthritis and metacam is the widely prescribed drug of choice. I am stuck on what to believe. As I said we have used it a few days before but only for five/six days max. We didnt have any problems and the cats who had it seemed normal and there was no change.

I struggle on finding what I should believe as there is lots of these stories out there and rarely any positive ones.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Yes...it has been asked before, but...

Post by hgale »

My girl Kitten was on Metacam for a good year before she died for her arthritis. It didn't do her any harm, in fact, she was really active, jumped on the bed very well and literally bounced her way up and down the stairs!

I was warned to keep an eye on her kidneys, but I didn't have any problems. What does your Vet advise? Mischa on the other hand was allergic to it, so she had to have injections every month, so I think it depends on the cat. I'd ask your vet about it to be sure.

Fusses to lovely Shelly from me and Denver.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Died of arthritis??

Well is hearsay atm for me uuntil we can figure out what is the issue. Our vet did say they would opt not to use it long term and stick with tramadol if my girl has arthritis.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Diana - Kitten died from stomach cancer I think.

To me, the main priority with Metacam is regular blood tests, and starting before Metacam use to have a baseline. We put Zia on it using 8 month old bloods, and she showed symptoms within days. However she refused to eat without it, so we put her on a renal diet, and within 3 months, her bloods were better, and 6 months later (the last bloods we did), they were better than when we started the Metacam. She got a good 12 months with using it and managing her kidney issues with diet. I would rather use Metacam than Tramadol, as Metacam is an anti-inflam so dealing with the problem, whereas Tramadol is a painkiller so only treating the pain. When I had Zia, there was a tablet anti-inflam called Onsior that was supposed to have less side effects than Metacam. Ultimately, a short, pain free life is better than a long life in pain.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

Hi Diana

Kitten sadly died from stomach cancer, she was on metacam for her arthritis relief!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Reluctantly I've had to put Lily on more regular (but low) doses of metacam. She has long term kidney problems, managed with drugs and diet, but her arthritis is pretty bad now, and she's much much brighter with pain relief. I know it compromises her kidneys, but I can't see her suffering like this. Her life is getting a bit miserable without it. Sadly I think she's probably on borrowed time now, so I'd rather see her comfortable at this stage in her life than keep her going for a few months longer with poor quality of life.

She's had to be on metacam on and off for some years now for various conditions (cystitis, and post-operatively, but mainly for flare ups of her arthritis), and I try to keep the doses to a minimum, but I'm certain it hasn't done more harm than good, as her kidneys have remained reasonably stable, if a bit dodgy.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Thanks guys.

Yes I would rather my Shelly have comfortable few years then a horrid 5 years. We shall see how it goes, Shelly has had it before with no problems.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I had my Molly on Metacam for a good few years to help her with her arthritis and wouldn't hesistate doing the same with any of my other furries when the time comes. Molly had regular blood tests done to check her kidney levels but they were actually always fine (admittedly she was on a daily dose of Fortekor as well but still)

The Metacam worked wonders for Molly and I was quite sorry when we had to stop it. And it was only because in the last year of her life she was hardly eating and I struggled to get enough food into her to give her the Metacam that she developed tummy issues so we decided to stop the Metacam and put her on Prednisolone instead.

As booktigger says; the key with Metacam is regular blood tests.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Hmmmm well if long term use is needed, I shall be having a good long think.