Lick e lix!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Lick e lix!

Post by Judy Barnett »

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. My sister bought Georgia some lick-e-lix treats. I've not seen them before so I opened one up and squeezed it slowly out for her. After she nearly devoured the packet and my fingers I threw the packet in the bin after which Georgia took it out of the bin. This went on for about five minutes. I ended up putting it the bathroom bin and shutting the door. Snuggling down in bed with my new book I looked up to find a huge eyed black cat standing on my chest starring directly into my eyes frantically licking her lips. What on earth is in those things Sue! "Lick-e-lix, lick-e-lix, I need moooooorrrrre"!!! :shock:
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Lick e lix!

Post by alanc »

My Badger used to adore Lick e lix as well - the only thing around that could make him abandon hunting and come home promptly! I used to have to go hunting all over the place to find shops that sold it. Tilly can't abide the stuff, so Badger always had his Lic e Lix to himself.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Which flavour did they get? I got the cats some of the festive ones, only Lucy likes them, so gave one to one of the neighbours cat, he liked it. They initially liked the ones with oat grass, so thought that would be good as 2 of the three are prone to furballs, made the mistake of buying a bulk lot, I should know what happens when you buy anything they like in bulk!! :roll:
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

Georgia got the chicken variety, I couldn't squeeze it out of the packet quick enough.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey I never tried this stuff with the cats ... they don't go for Dreamies - well, not from me though when they had to be fostered apparently they loved the things.

Judging by Georgia's reaction, it could be a bit dangerous though ... Mousey is a lady but Molly is NOT normal (yes, I know, she gets it from me :lol: )

Going to order some in future with my online groceries but expect me to be scravaged and chobbled! :o :lol:
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I don't think i've ever seen these, or maybe i just haven't been looking for them.

i did try Sheba's creamy salmon sticks which Stroppy loved, but my other two girls weren't bothered about. They like the Hi Life Treats but aren't keen on Dreamies, however the Hi Life Treats are the only thing i have found so far that Saturn doesn't like (he will demolish a pack of Dreamies given half a chance) so i keep those in to treat Tiggy knowing he won't try and take them off her.

I might have to look for the Lick e lix and see what the result is.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Ruth, they are a similar consistency to the Sheba ones
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Badger had the chicken and the salmon ones - he slurped up both varieties equally eagerly. Like Georgia, he would have licked up the whole box at one go if given the chance! It seems there can't have been enough local cats who liked it though, as after stocking it for long enough for Badger to become addicted to it, our local pet shop stopped selling it and I had to venture far afield to get the stuff. Not quite sure what Tesco's in Stow or Sainsbury's in Banbury made of this bloke who came in once a month or so and bought nothing but boxes of Lick e Lix!
Julie67
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Julie67 »

I get them from Wilkos or B and M, they're about 20p cheaper than the supermarkets.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Judy Barnett wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:02 pm Hope everyone had a great Christmas. My sister bought Georgia some lick-e-lix treats. I've not seen them before so I opened one up and squeezed it slowly out for her. After she nearly devoured the packet and my fingers I threw the packet in the bin after which Georgia took it out of the bin. This went on for about five minutes. I ended up putting it the bathroom bin and shutting the door. Snuggling down in bed with my new book I looked up to find a huge eyed black cat standing on my chest starring directly into my eyes frantically licking her lips. What on earth is in those things Sue! "Lick-e-lix, lick-e-lix, I need moooooorrrrre"!!! :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good oh! I sent the ones that Purdy likes. She's tried the others (yoghurt, liver and one I can't remember) and doesn't think that much of them. So pleased Georgia likes them. You can get them from Pets at Home and Tesco.

BTW our lot love the cat tent you got them. The little boys won't leave it alone. Freddie slept in it on Christmas night. :D
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

Glad they like it. If they build a little camp fire and start singing 'gin gan gooly' you will let me know won't you? :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Judy Barnett wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:17 pm Glad they like it. If they build a little camp fire and start singing 'gin gan gooly' you will let me know won't you? :) Sure will!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Verdict on salmon flavour:

Molly - what's this then?

Mouse - said nothing, just hoovered :lol:

Rather expensive treat but can see why it would be perfect for a poorly or elderly cat in those little sachets. Will be keeping it in as Mousey's nearly 17 and anything she likes at that age ... :)
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

I'll have to try the salmon ones, Georgia is in love with them.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh boy was I glad I had this stuff on hand - Mousey's constipated!

Naturally on a Sunday afternoon!

Put a hefty dose of Lactulose in a slug of Lick e Lix ... went down a treat ... just hope we get to the errm bottom of it and what needs to come out slides out a treat ... please cross your paws for her guys :)
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

Hope she gets some relief tomorrow. Gas masks at the ready! :o
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

:D
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lick e Lix is a very firm favorite here too with both Hendrix and Mia loving them.

Aldi do something similar which is a lot cheaper.

We not only use them as a treat to also to hide medication in ;)

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Gas masks? You're not kidding! :shock: :o :o :o Holy s**t!

The situation is not yet resolved ... the vet has been (although Mousey hasn't - unless you count a craftily placed blob in the kitchen which I stepped in while fetching poor vet some olive oil to lubricate a syringe to insert into the Mousey butt.)

A zillion plastic gloves and puppy pads and sheets of kitchen roll later, we wait. Oh the strain - in every sense. Tomorrow the enema.

Unless a miracle happens.

Can't type much more, as I FEEEEEEL for poor Mousey!

The stench is terrible, she's leaking diarrhoea, but how must she be feeling? Soon I have to get more Lactulose down her.

Poor little devil! :( :( :(
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Poor Mousey, hope she does her job soon, even if she stinks you out in the process.
I never dared adulterate Badgers Lick e lix as I was afraid he would go off it and it would no longer drag him home to dinner!
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

A good hot curry always does it for me. Only joking, can you imagine a gas powered cat :shock:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Guys, she is being foul.

No result, but a few blobs ... including the one at the bottom of the stairs that I just put my foot in ... my bare foot.

She's got up on the chair where she keeps her igloo and is smiling at me and has enjoyed a fuss.

Appointment with the Lactulose at 1am ...

And vet tomorrow.

Errm sorry to hijack your thread Judy, must start my own, I will ... tomorrow ... :oops:
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

No problem Lilith I just hope she's ok! Give her a hug from me.....just not a very firm one!!! :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Thanks, Judy - from me and Mousey - she's back home - and mightily relieved! :D

Haven't had chance to pass on the hug just yet but will :D
Catotum
Experienced Cat Chatter

Re: Lick e lix - for medication

Post by Catotum »

Sorry about the constipated kitty! I didn't know lactulose was OK for cats. It draws so much water into the bowel it must make them pretty thirsty.

Just wanted to say (as someone else has found) that this is perfect for administering medicine. Both Metacam (for the one with the Poor Paws) & Liquid Paraffin (for fur balls) mix in to a couple of teaspoons for a treat that completely avoids medication trauma. I know someone else who uses it for a variety of medicines. When I mentioned it to my vet, she soon adopted the idea & started recommending it to patients! This assumes, of course, that you don't have medicine that must not be crushed.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Thanks Catotum and welcome :)

Yes, Lactulose has been prescribed for her several times and I buy it online now, but I didn't know how it worked; I did know that it was intended for humans and is sweet ... and she's getting a bit sick of it, even in Lick e Lix. I don't want to syringe it down her every day; she hates that. I've been varying it with milk; she likes evaporated milk and that loosens her up. She does of course have a big water bowl.

If you have any useful tips for chronic constipation-relieving, Mousey and I would love to know; I don't want her to have to undergo that again and I wish I could resolve the problem with more natural methods like diet (sorry to hijack your thread, Judy.)
Catotum
Experienced Cat Chatter

Constipation

Post by Catotum »

The usual suggestion for constipated cats is a wet diet, rather than dry, & plenty of fluid. One of my cats used to love dried food made with a sort of gravy, obtained by adding lukewarm water to the food & swishing it around a bit. If she's already on a wet diet, add some more water to it. Also, change the brand if she's always had the some one. Some brands are much better than others.

A drinking fountain can be enormously helpful in encouraging a cat to drink, although it might take a while for the cat to get used to it. My brother's cat wouldn't touch it for a month then decided it was the best thing in all the world.

I think there are fibre additives that you can get to add to cat food, which help as they do for humans.

Does she go out? Might a cat grass bowl indoors help?

I assume your vet has ruled out medical issues.

I do so sympathise with you & with your cat!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Thanks :) She's doing pretty well now, a lot brighter, and fortunately she's keener on wet than dry. When she first started being constipated I gave her RC's Fibre Response dry but she got tired of it, as they do. She's mainly on Felix Agail senior and a variety of others like Gourmet, Encore and Thrive. I've never tried a water fountain and I suspect I'd be lackadaisical about cleaning filters etc, and there's no place to plug it in apart from having it on an extension lead, so I'm not going to experiment.

There's a secured garden and cat grass, but she doesn't go out; I'm going to do her an indoor grass pot in the spring. I did try psyllium in her food, but no joy. She's passing little goat droppings at the moment and I'm tempted to reorder the Fibre Response and she's enjoying the evaporated milk, but in the meanwhile, back to the Lactulose and Lick e Lix - it is very handy stuff! :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Has she had blood tests recently?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

She has - when she went in for the dreaded enema - and still got the chilly neck to prove it :)