ADVICE NEEDED FOR OUTSIDE CAT

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Sgallagher
New Cat Chatter

ADVICE NEEDED FOR OUTSIDE CAT

Post by Sgallagher »

Hi There

Ive recently moved back home with my two cats, however we are unable to have them inside. Since being back - which is only 3 weeks, one of my cats has gone missing :( with no sight in over a week. In my old home they used to spend time in and out at their own will, however now ive had to set up the garden shed with a bed and a cat flap to keep them in. I've made sure they have thermal reflective blankets and that the bed is raised. Is it okay for them to sleep in a shed? As its getting cold i am looking at getting a tube heater to put above the bed to ensure it doesn't get too cold.
The problem is, my remaining cat was more indoors than the other, and i think that she is finding it difficult adjusting to life out doors, she is 3 years old neutered and i also believe she is now lonely that her son has now gone (my missing cat) as she spends alot of time at the back door in hope to get in.
She is now bothering my neighbours meowing at their door trying to get in. I really need advise on if i should keep her and get a heater for the shed, or if I should find her a new home (which will break my heart) any suggestions welcome as I am really unsure on what do to!

Thank you
Sandra b
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: ADVICE NEEDED FOR OUTSIDE CAT

Post by Sandra b »

I think if they are used to living in a home with you then maybe not ideal to move them to a shed. If they had never known life in a cosy house then maybe it would be ok ( not for me though). I would say to definitely consider rehoming. I really hope you find the one who’s missing, if he’s chipped then you’ve a better chance. Maybe he’s moved in to someone’s house??
Catotum
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Catotum »

Oh dear, this does not sound good. I don't mean to pry but is there a really good reason for them to be outside? I'm not surprised one has disappeared, really. I hope it was the feline re-homing instinct rather than tragedy. You might need to think about rehoming the remaining cat, I think, as it is unlikely to adapt.
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Judy Barnett »

I'm sorry to say but I must agree with the rehoming suggestion. The cat will be so confused as to why he isn't allowed in any more. If they they are used to coming and going when they like it becomes the norm for them. It's more than likely that the other cat has found himself a new situation already. It's a heart breaking thing to do but perhaps the best decision for your remaining cat to find him somewhere new.