Help me name my new cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MiddleEarthNet
Frequent Cat Chatter

Help me name my new cat

Post by MiddleEarthNet »

I’ve just taken on a 3.5 year old female beauty for a friend (due to circumstances). She has the name Fury already but it’s not a good name her. She is so sweet natured. Plus I like my cats to have proper human names. I like ones where the sound naturally goes up at the end of the name. Previous cats have been Katie, Sophie, Frankie and Alfie.
Possible names I thought of: Lucy, Maisie, Molly, Elsie and Annie. Any of them suit her? Or is there another name I’ve not thought of?
A431C288-CE3B-45C2-AD70-21D4A94D69DA.jpeg
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Help me name my new cat

Post by Lilith »

Aww, bonny lass!

Names are so subjective. I like Lucy, Annie and Molly (I've had an Annie and currently have a Molly.) I also have a soft spot for Emily (recently there was an Emily here - my avatar cat still) and once I named a cat Tess because when I first met her she had a bellyful of shameful little D'Urbervilles. My Tessy Tiger ...

I used to breed Siamese and once named a kitten Pandora, because, as in the Ian Dury song, she had 'knee-socks and treacle-coloured hair' lol.

Yes, I like 'proper' names for cats ... and my older cat is called Mouse :oops: When I first met her she was about six months old and I said, 'Hello, Mouse' - and the nickname stuck. I did try to change it to 'Tasmin' because she's a black tux, a bit like a Tasmanian Devil, but she remained Mouse ...

Oh, edit, I never thought - Emily's mother and Tess's sister I named 'Charlotte' after the heavy metal track 'Charlotte the Harlot' - she was such a tart she'd go with anyone - a neighbour rescued her. But there's a poet called Charlotte Mew ... a brilliant poet I might add.

Congrats on the new girl, whatever you decide to call her :D
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I named my first cat Sally, because she was the very pretty and the pride of the alley (all the rest have come with names that I have been happy with).
MiddleEarthNet
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MiddleEarthNet »

Lilith wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:59 pm Aww, bonny lass!

Names are so subjective. I like Lucy, Annie and Molly (I've had an Annie and currently have a Molly.) I also have a soft spot for Emily (recently there was an Emily here - my avatar cat still) and once I named a cat Tess because when I first met her she had a bellyful of shameful little D'Urbervilles. My Tessy Tiger ...

I used to breed Siamese and once named a kitten Pandora, because, as in the Ian Dury song, she had 'knee-socks and treacle-coloured hair' lol.

Yes, I like 'proper' names for cats ... and my older cat is called Mouse :oops: When I first met her she was about six months old and I said, 'Hello, Mouse' - and the nickname stuck. I did try to change it to 'Tasmin' because she's a black tux, a bit like a Tasmanian Devil, but she remained Mouse ...

Oh, edit, I never thought - Emily's mother and Tess's sister I named 'Charlotte' after the heavy metal track 'Charlotte the Harlot' - she was such a tart she'd go with anyone - a neighbour rescued her. But there's a poet called Charlotte Mew ... a brilliant poet I might add.

Congrats on the new girl, whatever you decide to call her :D
Emily is a good name but given that the friend is called Emily might be a bit weird. Nicknames seem easier. In the few hours I’ve had her I’ve called her sweetheart, and pretty girl. Ooh, Charlotte could be shortened to Lotte.
MiddleEarthNet
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MiddleEarthNet »

alanc wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:17 pm I named my first cat Sally, because she was the very pretty and the pride of the alley (all the rest have come with names that I have been happy with).
That is a good name as well.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Congratulations on the new addition.

Mine normally end up keeping the names they came with, i did have one that I called Suzie as she was named Katie and I already had a Katie, I couldn't have two cats with the same name. The other I have had to name is Freyja, again she was originally called Katie, and while my previous Katie was long over the bridge, i still couldn't keep the name.

My thought is to stay with something with a similar sound if she is used to her name, so my thought had been along the lines of Corry (short for Correen if you want a more human sounding name) or Mary.

Alanc, after mentioning your ally cat Sally I hope you don't have the other two to go with her, i now have the lyrics of 'Senior Service' by Steeleye Span running through my head 'Sally's in the Ally and Nancy's on the game, Emily is pregnant and wondering who to blame'.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ruth B wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:15 pm Emily is pregnant and wondering who to blame'.
Ha ha, my Emily was pregnant and knew quite well who to blame ... a while after she brought me 5 kittens (all ginger) across the street, the lads moved in too ... :lol: :roll:

As residents they had to errrm retire from active tom-hood but they didn't seem to resent making the sacrifice for room service, chambermaid service and the ever-open restaurant and snack bar ...

Hey I forgot to mention, I had a cat called Middle-Earth Moon, daughter of my Annie, who was Siamese, registered Arwen Evenstar; she had a seal tabby girl who I wanted to call Elbereth Gilthoniel, but the name, with my prefix, was too long, so I had to alter it; I kept her and her house name was Shashi, which I didn't realise at the time, means 'Moon' ... Good old Tolkien, he gets in everywhere :D
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Tillie arrived as Suzie, which somehow didn't suit her at all. My mother reckoned that she would grow from a very determined kitten to a cat with large ideas and a large personality, and needed a name to match. She suggested Ottoline, after Lady Ottoline Morrell, and it stuck, although practically always in the short form.

My one rule when choosing a name is to be sure it is something that you will be happy warbling repeatedly across the neighbourhood at 4am - Mr Fluffy won't do for that reason! I had an opera loving friend who called her cat Figaro, so that she could sing him home when necessary. But "the naming of cats is a difficult matter" - I like all the names suggested, but she will decide which one sticks. Another one that would be close to Fury is Florry (or Flurry) from Florence, but she will quickly get used to any sound if it means food, treats and cuddles!
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by papa cat »

Change it, but only slightly, to "FURRY" so the cat won't get confused.
Although I believe cats can get used to a new name (eg lost and found with no idea what the previous name was) I think that might be the easiest option.
MiddleEarthNet
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MiddleEarthNet »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I do like the name Suzie but my mum is called Sue and she has specifically told me the cat can’t have her name :(. I had originally had the name in my list of options. But Freya is good. That would cause my voice to go up naturally at the end. And I agree, I couldn’t use a name my previous cats had. Those names belonged to those cats.

I don’t actually know whether she is used to her name or not. Though I know some of her history, I don’t know that particular bit. I know until now, she has always been in a multi animal house so will have heard a variety of names.

I quite like Nancy, even though you weren’t suggesting for the cat but it could work.

Lilith, sounds like typical lads! And love the Tolkien references.

Ooh Tilly/Tillie is good. I agree about I need to be happy calling it at 4am, or any time really. Plus not make me cringe when combined with my surname at the vets. It’s a good point about she will decide. Perhaps I should call her by each one and see how she responds.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

My Tilly (short for her official name of Darthula) would approve of you calling Fury, Tilly. It can be shouted without embarrassment at 10pm around the neighborhood.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Rosie.

Our Rosie was the sweetest, most loving cat I've ever known.