Getting a resacue cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Ed
Returning Cat Chatter

Getting a resacue cat

Post by Ed »

My cat died a few weeks ago. I had for just over 16 years, from when she was a kitten, she was a feral kitten from a farm. In that 16 years she had a life of luxury, nice food, smoked salmon and tuna on tap, a house with gardens front and rear and two loving owners.

I decided to get another cat, and on point of principle want to get a cat which needs a home, as opposed to from a breeder or off Gumtree. I dont agree with people breeding animals for a profit.

I realize to get a kitten from a centre will cost more, but I dont mind, its not a money issue, its a principle thing.

However, I am staggered and amazed at how much trouble it is to get a cat. In the past week I have made hundreds of phone calls, left messages, sent emails, filled in application forms online and nobody gets back to me or promised to call back, but of course they never seem to.

All kinds of charities, from Cats Protection (various branches) to Hounslow Animal Welfare and many others in between have promised someone will call to arrange a home visit, or do a references check but nothing seems to be happening.

I am about to go and buy a kitten now I think, just out of sheer frustration. I must have spent 20 hours in the past week on the net, or on the phone calling numbers which are never answered, etc etc. I really dont want to line the pockets of a breeder, who will then just be encouraged to breed another litter but I am running out of ideas.

It has got to the stage where I am beginning to think all these cat rescue charities are just there to make people feel better about themselves, and to collect money in the form of donations.

My requirements aren't complicated, I want a female kitten, ideally tortoise shell or tabby etc, but again, that isnt set in stone.

What is it that it is impossible to adopt a kitten - I live in West London, and will travel anywhere

Can someone explain to me what all these cat rescue charities / branches / rehomeing people do, other than ask for donations because certainly none of them want to give up any kittens to a loving home but would prefer they sit in cages with foster parents it would seem to me.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Getting a resacue cat

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry to hear you have lost your cat, and sorry you are struggling to hone through a charity, I can. Only assume they are swamped. We definitely don't want to keep cats in pens as that stops us helping more cats.

I certainly wouldn't give up after a week, and maybe focus on one at once. Good luck
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Ed,
sorry to hear about your kitty and the problems you are having. Don't give up, the right cat or cats are waiting for you somewhere.
My husband had a similar problem some years back. He wanted to give dog a new home. But was turned down by all the local charities. They said because he lived on a busy main road, it wasn't a safe place for a dog! OK for his children but not a dog who wouldn't be allowed near the road anyway.
Word of mouth led him to a Lurcher pup, Katie. They were meant for each other.
Not one of our 5 cats have come from a Home or charity. But they all found their way here, one way or another. My experience is - when the time is right the cat will find you.
Good luck I hope you don't have to wait too long.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Ed, try emailing Marjorie Nash Cat Rescue, Buckinghamshire (head office High Wycombe but most cats are closer to Amersham, just outside the M25). I can promise you an answer at least!
Ed
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Ed »

I called Marjorie - The first thing I got was "OOOOOOOO no, you're too far away."

She said they like to keep their cats and kittens close - in response to me saying I dont mind travelling or whatever.

After that the conversation didnt last long, she really wasn't interested.

I think all these cat rescue people must be nutters who just like to keep cats.

Any other suggestions gratefully received.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

Maybe even try visiting the shelters in person? Could make a massive difference actually being THERE
canterbury-cats
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by canterbury-cats »

Can someone let me know where Ed lives pls?i know of several tabby females kittens in rescue Kent way... ct area kittens are around 10 wks old and are very social.
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

I would advise you visit the centres, it's not that they don't want to let the cats go, of course they do, but if they have people visiting to attend to I'm sure the phone calls and forms just end up coming second. They are all run by volunteers remember who are trying their best.
Please don't go to a 'breeder' there are enough cats and kittens in rescue that nobody should be breeding moggies, they are just doing it for the money. Don't encourage them.
Good luck!
Themogfather
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Themogfather »

If you dont mind traveling try Wonky pets. http://www.wonkypetsrescue.co.uk/contact.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They are based in norhampton but adopt anywhere.
i have adopted 3 cats from them with no problems and now occasionally foster for them.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Sorry Ed, I suggested emailing because it's me that deals with the emails ........ the lady you got on the telephone wouldn't have known the situation, and that is a bit of a standard response. If you email with your address (I only know you're West London) I will try to help if I can.
Ed
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Ed »

Well, there has been some movement from Hounslow Animal Welfare (HAWS)

I had the lovely Daphne come round and do a home visit. Apparently I have been approved, however, now Im told by the person who has the cat that I have been asking about that she wont let it go without her brother.

Although it is still on the website, showing as needing a home Im now being told it was reserved 3 weeks ago.

I wonder how many cats on their website actually exist and need a home

This just goes to show that there is actually a shortage of kittens. This is exactly what estate agents do when they don't have enough houses or flats to sell.

Ive given up really and will go to a breeder, and probably breed a few litters myself as there really really must be a national shortage of kittens, quite the opposite of what you would think if you looked at these various rescue centre websites.

Of course going to a breeder just means breeders breed more, but if there is a shortage of kittens I dont see what the problem is.

You would have thought that rescue centres would be keen for people to take in cats, but to be honest quite the opposite is true if my experiance is anything to go by.

2 weeks later, and somewhere in the region of 100 - 200 phone calls and I still haven't managed to secure a simple tabby or multicoloured female kitten.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I can assure you that every cat on rescue websites exist, and more so beside (I cap our waiting list at 20, but could quite easily have 50+ on it), if you are struggling that much for a specific sex/colour, there are two options. One is that the free neutering scheme in London is working and there are fewer kittens around (wish it was the same up north), the other is that tabby female kittens aren’t that common in your area, more males tend to be born than female and you have to have a tabby parent to get a tabby kitten. I Can’t blame a rescue for wanting to home kittens as pairs, it is much better for them. Can I ask why it has to be a kitten, there are plenty of adults looking for homes, and they are adults a lot longer than they are kittens? Breeding more kittens mean adults sit in rescue centres longer.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I think Ed is just trying to wind us up, and I suggest we ignore him
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

Kay, I hope so otherwise its just another idiot adding to the problems!!

I suspect that if Ed has in fact contacted rescues his attitude towards them is enough for them to ignore him!! I have to say I wouldn't home to somebody with the attitude that he is displaying.....
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

Plus there is the fact he wants colourful, I have a rescue full of black and black and white kittens that nobody wants, and I'm sick of speaking to people every day that only want to rescue a kitten that is tabby, grey or ginger. We give up all of our own time and money to help cats in desperate situations, not provide the public with a made to order kitten.
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

We have all colours (except grey as I won't put them on the website, we do have some) and some of the most stunning kittens on our website at the moment and still we get people coming through asking if thats all we have!!!

I don't understand to be honest, kittens are kittens what does the colour matter.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I just don't get this colour business at all. What are these furbabes supposed to be matching with? I can't imagine choosing a cat by it's colour or markings. Our three adult adoptees came to us because they needed us, not because we needed a colourful accessory. It happens by coincidence that one is tabby and one is grey, but my sweetest oldest girl is black and white and when we adopted her in our ignorance we had no idea that for some folk that was considered unappealing. We just teased her for being compelled to wear Fulham FC home colours all her life! Being southerners there was no option of her supporting Newcastle. She is the most beautiful girl and I wouldn't want her any other way than the gorgeous Tuxie Babe that she is
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

All cats and kittens to me and all us here are beautiful. If only I could scoop up the ones left without a home and provide them with a safe and luxurious place.
Catcuddles
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Catcuddles »

So sad that my first post on the new forum must be this one.

Ed, stop complaining and get real rather than literally come to a forum full of cat lovers, charity volunteers and rescue workers to wind up people; many here spend years on end trying to help control a cat overpopulation problem that leads to 00,000s of deaths a year, fuelled by people after instant gratification or a bit of pocket money.

IF Hounslow cat rescue passed your HV and are happy to adopt a kitten out to you, who did they suggest? Be reasonable and have a conversation with them. If the fosterer all of a sudden dictates who gets "her" kittens, maybe the charity should reconsider their fostering policies.

Nowhere in your posts do I see justifiable reason to make you decide to begin "breeding" to deal with the "kitten shortage" you are experiencing. You assume -perhaps because no one told you otherwise- that you are the perfect adopter.

Do you really want to find out why you have had such a hard time adopting a kitten? Give me a call and I will -I can assure you- be brutally honest. But be prepared to take the constructive criticism, if some comes your way, in the best interest and welfare of a kitten you claim you are keen to adopt and commit to for the next 20-odd years.

If on the other hand I see that you are a perfectly reasonable prospective adopter and have been well justified to vent, you are welcome to a female tabby kitten from Catcuddles anytime.

Whatever course you take, the decision to adopt a young life is not a flippant one, not for you and I can assure you, not for the reputable charities you approach.

Evina
Ed
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Ed »

Well, I had a visit from a couple of nice ladies from the Cat Protection League last week.

I passed ! and even have the bit of paper to prove it so I am approved for a kitten

After this they told me they didn't actually have any, but might be getting some in. This was about a week ago and I have been unable to contact them since as no one ever answers the phone.

Now try telling me there isnt a shortage of kittens !!!!!!
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

Well all I can say is I wish I lived in your area as we have over 70 kittens in my rescue, all other West Yorkshire rescues are in the same situation and I have over 50 kittens on a wait list living out in gardens or simply unwanted and then add to that the 1000's that will be destroyed by the RSPCA and vets that are handed in to poorly or there just not being space.

Maybe you could ask your local CP if they would take on some of West YOrkshires problems!!!!!

PS. the CP may have officially passed you as you meet their criteria but they say they have no kittens if they simply don't want to home to you as they aren't very keen on you which I suspect is a more realistic reason than the, not having any kittens. I think you have had the brush off........ can't say I blame them !!!!
Catcuddles
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Catcuddles »

Ed,

You did call me and I did mention that we would be able to help! I was expecting a call back once you had heard from the ladies at CP and am happy to help by calling both charities you contacted without delay to get the bottom of this. It beats me why they would come to you for a HV if they did not have kittens for adoption :?

At any rate, London is sinking with kittens, so again, if you complete our very brief enquiry online form as I suggested the team will call you back and book in your visit.
Ed
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Ed »

Hunnybunny wrote:Well all I can say is I wish I lived in your area as we have over 70 kittens in my

PS. the CP may have officially passed you as you meet their criteria but they say they have no kittens if they simply don't want to home to you as they aren't very keen on you which I suspect is a more realistic reason than the, not having any kittens. I think you have had the brush off........ can't say I blame them !!!!

LOLOL Thats one of the funniest things I have read today - I suspect that you are one of tyhese mad patronizing women who has nothing better to do but dictate to people how they must run their lives etc.

The type of women that stick their noses in everywhere, you know, also cleaning the church and tending to gravestones etc. We have all met them before.
Ed
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Ed »

Catcuddles wrote:Ed,

You did call me and I did mention that we would be able to help! I was expecting a call back once you had heard from the ladies at CP and am happy to help by calling both charities you contacted without delay to get the bottom of this. It beats me why they would come to you for a HV if they did not have kittens for adoption :?

At any rate, London is sinking with kittens, so again, if you complete our very brief enquiry online form as I suggested the team will call you back and book in your visit.

If that's ok I will call you later today and arrange a visit for as soon as poss and give you the details of the home visits I had. One was from Hounslow Animal Welfare, by Daphne, and the other visit was Sally and Francis from Woking CPL

Ed
Ed
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Ed »

Hunnybunny wrote:Well all I can say is I wish I lived in your area as we have over 70 kittens in my rescue, all other West Yorkshire rescues are in the same situation and I have over 50 kittens on a wait list living out in gardens or simply unwanted and then add to that the 1000's that will be destroyed by the RSPCA and vets that are handed in !!!!

If you have so many, I will happily drive up to Yorkshire to collect one over the weekend
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

Sorry Ed but you're way off the mark. I'm a well educated women in my 30's. Have a husband, a few kids, run my own business, a rescue, am a Governor at my kids high school and live a very good life thanks and could run rings around you any day!! As for washing grave stones, I wont go near a church for fear I may burst into flames as am an atheist through and through with a contempt for oppressive religion!!!!

You get a pretty good gut instinct about people in this game and my gut is churning so no thanks. I don't thing you're what I'm looking for for my kittens!!!
Jane

Post by Jane »

This discussion is now closed. As per netiquette quidelines any private disagreements, or issues with rescues should be sorted off forum and taken up with those concerned.