Old cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Pambin76
New Cat Chatter

Old cat

Post by Pambin76 »

Hi. Looking for advice please. I have a 20 yr old cat with pancreatitis and dementia. I've been asked to adopt 2 other cats but my 1st thought was that my cat would not be happy. But i would like to know if this might actually be helpful for her?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Old cat

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

I think it depends on your cat's temperament.

When my youngest cat came, I had an elderly tom who might have been quite miffed at the arrival of an aggressive adolescent, but not a bit of it; within days she was snuggled up to her Uncle Finn (not an orthodox introduction but this house is tiny) and he even tolerated her jumping all over him (and he wasn't a cat to suffer in silence; if he'd disapproved, he would have socked her one.)

I also had two girls, roughly 10/11, and just that bit too old to play. They tolerated Molly but didn't like her much; one, like Finn, has since died and so I have a (still very manic) Molly of 7 and a 17 year old, Mouse. Mouse grew up in a feral colony and moved in with her mother; she has always been a communal cat but she's reserved and timid. From time to time I've thought of introducing another cat or kitten, but I've come to the conclusion that Molly would be too territorial and Mouse is far too elderly and set in her ways; it would break her heart. Whereas if they had the temperament of my old Finny, they would take a newcomer in their stride.

Some cats like meeting other cats and interacting and playing; some cats like to live out the last of their days in peace and rule the roost as only cat. I've found boys to be more sociable.

So it could go either way.

Hopefully there'll be others along soon with more advice, but, whatever you decide, I hope all goes well - please keep in touch :)
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Speaking from my own mistakes, I'd let her live out the rest of her life in peace.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

With her health issues, personally I would let her live her life out in peace. Has she ever lived with another cat?
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Its a big risk it could help her mental wellbeing slightly or it could finish her off personally I wouldn't risk it too big a gamble
milesdavid
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by milesdavid »

I agree with the others, it's a bit risky in. If she never lives with other cats, then the new companions might annoy her.
arlethalazarini
New Cat Chatter

Post by arlethalazarini »

She may have jealousy. May she live with you. I am sure she is so comfortable!
Polly
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Polly »

Because of your old cat health issues, I personally would not take any more cats on,