Royal Canin Urinary dry food - vet or non-vet?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mollysmum
New Cat Chatter

Royal Canin Urinary dry food - vet or non-vet?

Post by Mollysmum »

Hello. I haven't been on here since I lost Miss Molly 4 years ago. Now I'm back with Gracie, who is now 3. She had crystals in her urine when she was 1 and she was put on Royal Canin Urinary Vet Dry food. She loves this, although we have had to change to the moderate calorie as she is a bit tubby. The vet said to just keep her on it. My question is this, do I need to keep her on the vet version https://www.bitiba.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_ ... ary/359884
or can I change her to the standard version https://www.bitiba.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_ ... ion/498676
This is really a financial question as the vet version adds up. I really cant see much difference in the two but if anyone else could let me know what they think that would be great. Thank you.
milesdavid
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Royal Canin Urinary dry food - vet or non-vet?

Post by milesdavid »

Hi, I think you can ask the vet what is the most essential substance in the Royal Canin for your cat. I according to the answer, you can compare the substance available in different products.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Royal Canin Urinary dry food - vet or non-vet?

Post by Mollycat »

Are you buying this food from the vet?

They bump up the price quite a bit and usually push a particular brand.

For price you can try somewhere like petdrugsonline, that's where we get all our prescription food from and parasite products between a third and a half off vet prices. There are others like vetuk.

If you fancy a change of food there are others, I happen to use Hills because I'm happy with their products and service but I'm not suggesting they are better than anyone else. They do a Metabolic wet and dry which is for weight loss and maintenance but comes with the option of urinary care. My girl shed her excess 2 pounds on it free fed without restricting treats. I'm sure other brands must have something similar. Also they are very open about their ingredients and nutritional information.