Tails of the radioactive cat (or Mouse.) Radio-iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Tails of the radioactive cat (or Mouse.) Radio-iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism

Post by fjm »

I've not had much success with any powders - he eats tablets like treats but won't touch doctored food! Except, of course, for the daily metacam-and-biscuits, which counts as a treat.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Tails of the radioactive cat (or Mouse.) Radio-iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism

Post by Mollycat »

My Molly has been timid, restless, hissy and hungry for the whole 6 years I've had her and always got the night time yowlies ... I am beginning to wonder if I'm going to pick up the same cat next week that I dropped off a week ago!!!

fjm I thought we had a special one, one of my past ones, who took worming tablets as treats ... there's always one that trumps them :lol: but she used to sit in front of the TV waiting for it to be turned on :roll:
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Molly is off the Hot Cat ward and on the Cool Cat ward, as of yesterday morning. To confirm what I already knew about my girl, her appetite had improved and the vet was happy, but as soon as she was moved she didn't want her lunch. Lunch? She's a Lady Who Won't Lunch now! I expect Lady Grey was disappointed not to have her salad starter. (They have grass and both like a salad starter!) We should be ready to bring her home Tuesday morning. And not a moment too soon ...
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww congrats so she's a cool cat at last! :D

One of my Siamese used to go out into the garden and graze on the lettuces ... I NEVER got any salad. And a friend's Siamese ate spring onions. And Tess, one of my ferals, was obsessed with a plant called Nemophila, a blue annual ... she didn't so much eat it as drool over it. The minute the seedlings raised their little heads, Tess made a fuss of them, and you know what a plant looks like when it's been much-loved by a cat ... yesssss ...

You'll be glad to get your Molly back, she sounds quite a character - as always best wishes :D
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Thank you Lilith so impatient now.

Let me see, the peculiar things 6 past and present cats eat or have eaten ...
Peas
Chinese egg noodles
Toast
Fairy cakes
Pizza crust (in preference to any topping)
Beetroot
Porridge
Toffee (hilarious faces)
Minstrels (before we knew they mustn't)
Chips
Marshmallow (stolen, white very deliberately chosen)
Strawberry ice cream (other flavours too but strawberry is best)
Lemon cheesecake and lemon curd
Mashed potato
Extract of malt
Marmite
And a dog who demands his coffee whendaddy gets home from work
Both cats and the dog prefer their chicken spicy to plain

Molly will get a whole triangle of laughing cow cheese when she gets home and comes out from under the bed!

Should start a new topic on the strange things our feline friends find irresistible!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I had a cat who loved melon and would steal the skins to scrape them clean. Same cat discovered just what it was the men with long sticks were pulling out of the river, and demanded and got more than his share. Then Autumn came. Months went by, then one day he was idly looking out of the window, suddenly started, stared, and dashed to the door demanding to go out. A few minutes later I heard a voice from next door - "No, you silly cat, they're sweet pea canes! The fishing season doesn't start for weeks!"
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ha, brilliant! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think even my eccentric lot could compete with that display of appetite and catly logic!

But we've had our moments with the icecream ... and yes, strawberry. My first Siamese, blue point Jacinth, loved it; no keeping her off the table, and my then husband, a big chap with a big appetite, was about to tuck into a huge bowlful when he realised he needed to go to the loo. 'And don't let THAT eat my icecream!' (He only pretended to be severe.) Well. Jassy and I just looked at each other; I grabbed another bowl and slid the mountain of icecream into it and hid it in the fridge, and when our lord and master returned, Jass was daintily licking out his icecream bowl ... I soon reassured him that the icecream was in the fridge and not in the cat ...

Jacinth's daughter, seal-point Majdhar, would eat anything; her nickname was the Gibbon, because every meal time was a case of a little Gibbon take, but I got a shock one day when sitting down to Sunday lunch. Roast lamb and all the trimmings ... now you'd expect a cat to go for the meat, but she walked off with a whacking great BRANCH of cauliflower, dripping with mint sauce, GROWLING ... I mean the cauliflower was dripping and the Gibbon was growling.

She ate it too :o :lol:
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Oh brilliant both of you, great stories!!

I am actually home alone with my other cat this morning - hubby and dog expected back lunchtime and Molly is obviously still away - and I just realised the two of us have not been alone since May 2013 when Molly arrived. It feels very strange, just the two of us. So very peaceful!

Lilith my cat that ate the beetroot stole it from a plate where there was also liver. But mint sauce!!!

jfm I love your mischief with the ice cream, absolute genius :!:
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Molly is due home tomorrow at 1pm, 2 weeks to the precise hour when I dropped her off.

She took the move from the hot cat ward to the cool cat ward badly, as I expected, with a bout of the squits (sorry) and a hunger strike that took 3-400 grams off her (even the vagueness of this figure concerns me) so they let her eat "whatever she wanted" all weekend. I bet they never thought to offer her strawberry ice cream or lemon cheesecake!

Because of this they delayed her final bloods until today, so the appointment to collect her is provisional on the test results tonight. But thankfully restrictions are minimal - just don't let her sleep in the bedroom which she doesn't anyway, she shouldn't be allowed to lick or be licked by other animals which she never allows anyway, handle waste with gloves which is fine, and limit cuddles which erm is up to her but I can't see her coming out of hiding much before next weekend anyway. But she has served her main quarantine period in the hospital.

I am spending the day tidying and cleaning so that there is minimum disturbance once she is home and she can settle back in as quickly as possible.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

So glad she's coming home soon; she is a one, isn't she? :D

Even if she gives you what they call the black paw on her return (as you know Mouse hid for days) you'll be glad to have her back. Hope you manage to chill tonight and get some sleep :)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Lady Grey sure is A One, hopefully a one-off!

Don't tell anyone but she is likely to spend her days under the bed and her nights out marauding around the flat, so she won't technically be in the bedroom while we sleep, only because she isn't into sharing the bed with two of us plus the dog and the other cat.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Lady Mollipops is home, and as predicted under the bed, with some tuna water because it was warm in the car and she showed signs of either overheating or stress, either way this will help. Very vocal all the way home even hissed a couple of times, just to let me know I've picked up the right cat. Thanks fjm and Lilith who have both helped reassure me and distract me these past two weeks.

And as I write I see her pop her big round eyes and pinky-pinky nose around the door at me!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww, welcome home Molly! :D

Hope everything goes swimmingly now and always happy to help :)
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

That all sounds very promising - it won't be long before she is out of quarantine. I had to keep Pippin very closely confined as I neither wanted him shooting out through the cat flap nor did I want the dogs sampling the cat litter delicatessen he needed until he was allowed out! The only real danger is from very close contact with urine and faeces - as one comment jokingly put it "You would have to eat it for it do any harm, ha, ha!". Unfortunately that is just what the dogs would have liked to do...

He was very wobbly at first - no exercise, muscle loss from the hyperthyroidism, and arthritis combined to make him so shaky I seriously questioned whether I had done the right thing extending his life. I spent the weeks he was shut in putting up more steps and ramps, wondering whether he would ever be able to use them. Within half an hour of The Great Release he had found the ramp down to the garden, and has been happily using it ever since!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

It's amazing how much muscle Molly has lost despite the overall weight gain. She has lost 300g in there through stress and is still overweight. This will be interesting. Just got to put a stop to this yo-yo weight, 4.5/6-ish, 4.3, 4.5, 5.2, 4.9 ... all since November, though peak was a proper porker at 5.6 2 years ago.

She's not exactly quarantined it's just touch restriction to 10 mins a day and the waste precautions, and not sleeping in the same room. Regulations are different in different local authorities apparently. And the dog doesn't have such nasty habits thankfully!!

Interestingly they seem to have shut up now about her liver, I'm sure the elevated bilirubin at diagnosis was the beginnings of hepatic lipidosis and even more interesting her potassium is low, which can also be from not eating. And yet she does eat, for England. So if there is anything I would say more likely some metabolic issue which who knows could have been due to me accidentally mixing 2 different diet foods that should not be mixed, or one of them not being safe for long term use.

Mild stage 1 CKD which is no surprise at 11/12 years old and I'm used to managing that so no worries.

Only worry on the horizon will be getting her back for re-tests in 8 weeks time but I think we're good, T4 was 70 at diagnosis, 30 diet controlled, 76 at admission and now 30 again so even if it dips and comes back up she is so snugly in the normal range I'm very confident.

And EDIT to add that Molly has pointed out to me the misprints on the hospital letter. Under Handling Restrictions it appears to say maximumwhen it means minimum and 10 minutes which obviously should be hours. So that's a minimum of 10 hours daily fuss and cuddles ... according to her. Reminds me of vet instructions to keep cats indoors and on soft foods, and the same applies - nod and say yes very solemnly while laughing inside and thinking you really don't know my cat!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Lilith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:52 pm Even if she gives you what they call the black paw on her return ...
I think they gave me back the wrong cat. I looks like my cat, its miaow is a little less squeaky but it still sounds like my cat. It has the same favourite beds and plays the same games and asks for cuddles the same unique way as my cat, but this can't be my cat ...

She just rolled half on her back, head stretched back and front legs above her head like a stick-em-up, and purred and purred while I STROKED HER CHEST and purred and purred and stretched her little arms up higher to let me rub her chest more ...

I am just completely overwhelmed I can't believe it!!! Molly would let me kiss her belly but NEVER touch with a hand, this is incredible!!!
milesdavid
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by milesdavid »

Well, I guess that's just Molly changing her attitude towards you.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

milesdavid wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:49 pm Well, I guess that's just Molly changing her attitude towards you.
Last night she had cuddle time with my partner for over an hour until he moved to go to bed ... until now he has barely been able to sneak a stroke of her head as he walks past her on her perch. He has lived with us for 18 months and knowing Molly like I do, this was about standard for her. We are just 3 days post treatment and her new self is springing surprises daily. I am now wondering if she has been ill the whole 6 years I have had her.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

It could be that she has been mildly hyperthyroid for a long time - it is well known for causing anxiety and mood swings in humans so no reason why cats should not also over react under its influence. How lovely that Molly is so much more relaxed and happy so quickly. I have to admit that with Pippin he was so laid back even with an over active thyroid I worried whether he might simply give up moving altogether once it was sorted!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I did read up a lot and Molly had all the signs - except weight loss. Night-time yowling, restlessness, anxiety, aggression especially food aggression, food obsession. All from the day I got her. I have even tried to find out whether stress can bring it on and it seems possible via the adrenal system, so perhaps the extreme stress of being rehomed. I kind of discounted that theory because her T4 was 70 on diagnosis and 76 pre treatment 4 months later, so on the up but still relatively marginal. It was as though everything was hyper except her weight which was hypo! All this time I thought it was "just Molly" and now maybe it wasn't. Now I'm actually looking forward to her 8 week check-up!

On the other hand her previous owner talked about her "funny little monkey noises" but now she is making a real miaow, and the animal communicator when I asked if Molly knew she was ill said, she just feels the way she has felt for as long as she can remember (suitably vague) but she did correctly predict that this experience was going to deepen Molly's trust and bring her much closer to us. Or maybe it's the reiki. We'll never know. I just love my new cat.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol - that's quite a change! :D

Just hope your OH doesn't start to glow in the dark! :o :lol: (Only kidding!)

Hope the girl goes from strength to strength now :)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I'll be glowing in the dark long before he does!

Thanks again, between your experiences and the science so easily available on the www this adventure has been so much easier to get through, only Madam's issues really to deal with. And it's almost all over now, just a retest at the end of May.

I will stick around on this forum though, it's nice and chilled. Some can be so cliquey and full of judgemental people, but here I feel at home.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Folks been a while since I’ve posted but I’ve not forgotten the lovely folks here. Been catching up on the hyperthyroidism & strange appetite posts. Glad Molly’s home. My Elsa had radio iodine treatment & was at the clinic for 3 weeks. She too was stressed on the way home .. panting. As for strange appetites, my Mayday loved rockmelon. I used to drop her & Crystal (coz of her crystal blue eyes) my Himalayan, off at mum’s on a Sat when I shopped. They loved the car. Crystal knew when I turned into mum’s street. She’d on my lap & put her front paws on the steering wheel. One day on arriving after shopping, mum said she “didn’t know what was wrong with the little girl as she was in front of the fridge meowing.” “Have you rockmelon?” “Yes”. “She can smell it & wants some.” Mum couldn’t believe it. Told mum when cutting it Mayday would sit and pat me on the leg for some. I’d cut a piece & sit with her on the lounge as she licked it. If mum had rockmelon she’d give me a few pieces for “the little girl”
Vivian & yes still the Famous Five from Oz.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Aw lovely Elsa. And a Naughty Tortie in your avatar too, I have such a soft spot for Torties.

Did Elsa have much purrsonality change after her treatment?

And has anyone had potassium deficiency?
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Mollycat no personality change. Mayday was a Tortie but not naughty unlike the Tuxedo terror, Harper, who I’m sure thinks her name is “Naughty Girl” :lol: And Mayday had the softest fur. Miss her to this very day. She definitely left paw prints on my heart. How’s Molly going?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

They never really leave us do they.

She's doing good thanks, has taken the habit of spending mornings under the bed which could be the memory of being taken away for morning appointments I don't know. Still figuring out what's best for a new diet, my current thinking in carry on with normal food until her check-up then deal with the excess weight, but I'm scared of the diet food in case that brought on the problems in the first place. So hard to know what to do when we don't know causes and reasons.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I read somewhere that older cats benefit from smaller more frequent meals, so I divide Tiffany's pouches up now, and set out two half meals in a timer overnight

result a happier cat and licked clean dishes every time, and no noisy food demands in the morning before I want to get up
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Kay wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:43 am I read somewhere that older cats benefit from smaller more frequent meals, so I divide Tiffany's pouches up now, and set out two half meals in a timer overnight

result a happier cat and licked clean dishes every time, and no noisy food demands in the morning before I want to get up
Good thinking, glad it's working, being woken up with demands for food quickly gets tiring!

Unfortunately Molly is a lot more complex than that, she is free fed (as all my cats always have been) but the first to ever have a weight problem. Microchip feeders have been a godsend so that other cat can have his renal diet and she could have her calorie restricted diet, and thus she regained a happy normal weight. She is on one pouch a day in two meals and free high protein grain free dry of which she eats around 10g a day - but crucially there is always something in her bowl, and it's the empty bowl and access by the other cat that made her anxiously overeat or get aggressive. It's very little for a 4.5-5kg cat but she is indoor and spayed, and the bottom line is she is prone to podge.

At some point Molly will have to go onto renal food as she is now (commonly post treatment) stage 1 CKD, but I don't feel I can put her on that until her weight is stabilised at something reasonable. I just don't want this to become yo-yo dieting!! Right now she needs high protein to rebuild muscle, which is bad for her kidneys, then lose weight which could be bad for her muscle mass, then care for her kidneys which will be bad for her weight. It's such a juggling act. If only she would eat the calories she needs and no more ... but I can't risk aggression on the other cat from cutting portions, nor the obsession that results if I give tiny meals more often.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Update on Molly.

We are now 6 months post I-131 and Molly is still much more chilled than she was pre treatment but not quite as chilled as she was when I first got her home. Loose or soft stools have persisted but more solid ones are coming in the last weeks or two. I haven't been offered her chest to rub again but she sat between us earlier this week for the first time plus that's ok, that's Molly.

Astoundingly her weight has come down to just about normal now, gradually, and stayed there. She gets a pouch of Felix, usually AGAIL but sometimes normal senior, morning and evening, plus dry that she doesn't touch. There is always some wet left when the next mealtime comes, so she is now regulating her own calorie intake herself free-fed - so proud! So I was right, she was essentially hyper with a hypo metabolism.

Her tastes have changed, she still loves fish and dairy but not to the crazed extent she used to and I can only guess her tumour's craving for iodine has gone. This suggests she was brewing this issue all the 6 years I have had her. My cynical side wonders if that's why I never got her vet records and wasn't told who her old vet was, but that's probably just paranoia and not true. Bizarrely since Boo died she won't touch tuna - I used to give tuna water whenever Boo needed a hydration boost and knowing how intelligent she is she may have made the connection between tuna and illness, who knows?

So Molly has had to adjust to being an only cat as she was before she came to me as well as her hormones and metabolism.

Reason for posting an update now is that she is booked in for her checkup on 30th September. 6 months not 6 weeks, naughty me but in my defence Boo just carried on spending every penny we had. My pensioner mum is paying for these tests. But I was hoping to give her system time to settle and the time has come, fingers crossed. My fear is any underlying liver issue, my hope is that we can put two years of relentless battering of vet bills on our limited funds to bed after this.