Cat Netting

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Cat Netting

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi know a few folks have enclosed areas for their furbabes. Having a 3mx2.4m pergola enclosed with cat netting with a cat flap in my security screen door with a zipper opener/closer. And it’s snake proof-a concern of mine. This gives the Famous Five extra space. Looked at various options to enclose from timber & steel like slats but cost was a tad exie. The cat netting I’m getting can be installed as a diy project but I’m hopeless at anything like this. There’s coys that supply & install which were a bit exie...niche market. Discovered that Queensland Wildlife Hospital have an association with Cat Nets & I’ve accepted their quote around £500; it’s being installed Wed 17/4 in time for Easter. Any feedback on cat netting appreciated. Lilith just saw your post “ What to do” re Protectapet.
When Kevin from QWH came to quote had great delight in showing him our female koala who has taken up residence in our cul-de-sac. She’s comes & goes but has been around for a good month. We used to have quite a few so it was exciting to look out my kitchen window up into the gum tree to see a koala.
Vivian & The Famous Five from Oz.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Cat Netting

Post by MarySkater »

Cat pen 2018.jpg
This is my cat pen. I was able to give it more space than you have, but any outside space will be appreciated. When I lived in a flat, I was able to enclose part of a window ledge, about 2 feet by 4 feet, and my cats were happy to sit there.

On the left of the picture is the original fence. The right and end fences were put up for me by a fencing company, with netting all the way across the top. I knew that I'd have to take down the netting sometimes, for ladders to house gutters etc. My fencing man suggested, and I agreed, that he'd put nails into the top rail about a foot apart, with the heads left projecting. The net could be hooked round the nails, but would be easily unhooked when required.

This didn't work. I didn't allow for a cat going up the post and head-butting the net from underneath. If there's enough slack that you could push a fist through, a cat will get through that and be out, and mine did. I've now been all round the perimeter and stapled it at the top, so they are held. I've also been all round the bottom edge with more rigid plastic netting, staked to the ground, to stop escapes that way. So I approve of secured outdoor space, but "secure" can be quite hard to achieve, with cats. But at least I didn't have to worry about snakes.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Cat Netting

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Mary thanks for your ”catstructive” comments. Sent info on Cat Nets to the handyman I use but he didn’t comment & he charges by the hr no firm price so decided to get it supplied & installed by someone who knows the product. A friend commented if you use one of their recommended installers it’ll be better for any warranty issues if any occur. Here’s the link: https://catnets.com.au/

My pergola sits on a concrete slab, a roof with 2 sides to be enclosed. There’ll be no issues re accessing gutters & roof. Once installed I’ll try & post a pic. I’m sure the Famous Five will enjoy having an extra area to access not to mention the external stimuli. Will be interesting to see how they go with the cat flap & if there’s any hissing issues with one going out & one coming in. I’ve been tidying it up & will have to look for a cat tree. The one I have inside may be a bit big for the area.

Vivian & the Famous Five from Oz.