Introducing my new Kitten/Cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Belbob
New Cat Chatter

Introducing my new Kitten/Cat

Post by Belbob »

Hi all,

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.

In August 2018, we adopted a lovely little girl who was 5 months old. Bella was a little timid at first but very soon (a day) she came out of her shell. We decided a month ago we'd like to adopt again and the adoption centre contacted us asking if we'd consider a 10 month old boy they have and can't re home. We met him and he wouldn't come out of his corner in his bed and was very scared of humans but was very used to other cats.

We decided we would take him in and hope to give him a great life and show him us humans aren't to bad. Anyway, we got him home and set him up in our spare room where he had a bed to hide under and he could take his time and come out when he is ready. As he was so timid days and weeks went by and he just would not come out. He was eating and drinking and using the litter tray so we were confident he was well, just very shy.

We kept Bobby and Bella separate for just over 2 weeks but decided to introduce them after they were interacting on each side of the door. The first meeting was pretty good especially after everything we'd read could happen and we thought the time waiting was worth it. Bobby loved Bella, straight on his back and purring. Bella was cautious but no hissing, swiping or such like.

We kept this meeting to 5-10 minutes and came away feeling very good. Then...... the next meeting in the same circumstances Bella turned. She had decided she wasn't keen on him. This has now been an additional 2/3 weeks and Bobby is actually scared of Bella now where as initially, he was way more confident with her around than he is with us when she's not.

We feel like we're doing everything to help them get on but if anyone could help or give some tips/advice, that would be fantastic.

Thank you
Ollie & Lou
milesdavid
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Introducing my new Kitten/Cat

Post by milesdavid »

Hi Ollie and Lou, I would probably give them more time. You also need to separate their resources and give them more space.
Belbob
New Cat Chatter

Post by Belbob »

Thank you. Its the frustration when Bella cries at the door constantly and then when we do give them a try together, she goes for him. Fell sorry for the two of them in different ways.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

what actually happens when they meet? does either growl? hiss? raised hackles and fluffed up tail? has either been injured by the other?

young cats engage in a lot of rough and tumble, and it's easy to think they are at war rather than engaging in boisterous play - do you think Bella cries at the door because she wants to hurt Bobby, or because she enjoys pretending to

does Bobby run away from her, and then approach her again, or does he hide and stay hidden until she's gone?
Belbob
New Cat Chatter

Post by Belbob »

Hi Kay,

apologies for the delayed reply.

Initially they seemed fine, sniffing each other and Bobby purring away, Bella trying to get her head around to what he was. Now when we put them in the same room, Bella does seem like she wants to attack. If he turns his back or moves relatively quickly, Bella goes for him and chases him. Sometimes she chases him under the bed then just sits and stares at him. Other times shes gone for him under the bed.

Now when Bobby see's Bella, he is cared and goes under something to hide. He sometimes growls when she gets close. Bella kind of stalks him as if she's waiting for the perfect opportunity to pounce. He will now generally stay hidden and not approach her but may come out to play with a toy with us, or eat. He does seem to relax quickly when he is under a unit and we are here. Bella is constantly on edge and uptight and stares at him.

It does not at all seem like boisterous play.

I think Bella cries as she knows he's there and wants to get to him. I also don't think she likes the doors being shut as she had access to whole house previously. Bobby squeaks rather than cries and sometimes it seems he squeaks at the door (Bella on the other side) because he wants to see her.

We seem to be moving back rather than forward and can't see them getting along at anytime soon.

Thank you