Tragic death of my cat

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Enchilada123
New Cat Chatter

Tragic death of my cat

Post by Enchilada123 »

My 11 month old cat went missing for 8 days. He returned last Sunday evening to our garden in the most horrific state imaginable but alive. I rushed him to the emergency vets where they told me his wounds were so bad the vet had never seen anything like it. As it had happened 8 days ago his skin was necrotic over most of his body and he was being eaten alive by maggots. He had been brutally attacked by a dog and had been hiding in the garden behind ours for 8 days and I had no idea. I had to make the decision to end his short life as treatment would be utterly painful and stressful for him and may not even work. I am struggling to come to terms with the state he was in and that I feel like I gave up on him. I am devastated that he was just behind the fence the whole time and that I didn't know. If I had known I could've saved him. At night all I see is the barely recognisable cat that was my beautiful boy. I can't stop thinking about the pain he must have felt. I am utterly heartbroken and devastated that I couldn't save him.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Tragic death of my cat

Post by Mayday21 »

Hello please accept my heartfelt sympathies on the loss of your fur babe from this tragic incident. Many who post here have experienced similar situations & will provide words of empathy, comfort & support as you grieve your loss. Please don’t hesitate to post whatever & whenever someone will always be here to support you. Take care... Vivian.
Nicky brown
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Nicky brown »

Hi
I am so sorry to hear your sad news and can completely understand aspects of your grief. I lost my 11 month old kitten Toulouse in 2016. We were so careful to keep him in at night but this warm spring night with baby rabbits around he was having none of it. When we found him next day it was too late but I ate myself up that we should have tried harder the evening before or got up earlier the Saturday morning. As my grief consumed me I had to get another kitten so 5 Weeks in had Hendrick - not to replace Toulouse but to help me with my grief and excess love. I protected him so much but last autumn age two and a half he slipped out at tea-time whilst I was making pumpkin soup. He was only gone about 15 mins but was badly injured either by a car or falling out of a tree - more likely the car. Like you I had to make an agonising decision because is was in theory fixable - he was looking at us with his big eyes and purring like nothing was wrong when actually he had broken his spine. Even after agreeing to him being PTS I was contacting other vets and newspaper vets to see if it had been the only option, even though it was too late. I went off sick from work shortly after as there were other plates in the air too. I was diagnosed with depression 2 months later. I am due back to work soon and tonight I even looked at pics of kittens for sale - not with intent at the moment but I could smile at the wee faces this time. It was his birthday yesterday - he would have been 3. When you lose a young cat it is in some ways extra hard because they haven’t had a long life but they don’t know how long their life is meant to be so as long as you have made it full of fun and love, then they have had a good life regardless of time. You will heal but there’s a process for us all. Sometimes it helps getting another kitten quite soon and sometimes that’s not the answer. Do what you need to do to feel better. I carried little ginger stones to remind me. I lost one just before I went off work and it added to my woes but cleaning out the car on Sunday it was found and it felt really good.
Thinking of you. Nicky
Jules20
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Jules20 »

I am so very sorry for your loss. My heart really does go out to you. I haven't lost a cat in this way but I do understand the feelings of shock, guilt and devastation that you are feeling right now. You didn't give up on him and saved him from more pain and suffering in the end and he is at peace now, probably very little comfort to you right now I know. No words can take away your pain but sharing it with others who truly understand can help, even if just a little. It will be very raw for you right now so please be kind to yourself and take it day by day. Thinking of you and sending you hugs. xxx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

these truly awful images of your poor cat's suffering will play over and over in your mind, I'm afraid, for some time

the only way to counter them is to call up good memories of his life, with perhaps a scrapbook of photos and little stories - his life, although short, was a lot longer than his final days, and deserve to be recorded
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

I just read Kay’s post & wise words to you & thought of a saying a prominent radio announcer says of someone dying .. “No one ever dies unless the memories fade”. I think this can be applied to our fur babes. I’ll never forget my avatar, Mayday. I sometimes think of the verse in Annie Lennox’s Song “There’s a fine line between pleasure & pain”. Our fur babes give us so much pleasure we can’t put a price on & the same can be said when we experience pain on losing them. Nicky I can relate to your post. I was absolutely devastated on losing Mayday but it was the words of support from people like Kay that helped me a lot. Thinking of everyone who’s suffered through devastating situations. Regarding getting another fur babe I have a saying “put it out to the universe”. Vivian
Bertie 2017
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Bertie 2017 »

Hi first of all ,I am so sorry to hear about your loss ,you shouldn’t blame yourself ,for not
Noticing sooner ,I strongly believe ,cats go too ground ,with injuries ,and when scared ,
Back in 1996 ,I lost a cat ,from a dog attack ,I witnessed it ,and rushed him down to the vet ,
Even noticing that soon ,couldn’t save him ,there had been too much damage done ,so please stop blaming yourself ,yes I know it isn’t easy ,and it hard to think ,of the pain ,
Your cat suffered ,but he is at peace now ,and you need too hold onto them happy times
And memories ( however short ) they will get you through the sad moments ,I understand
All too well ,how much our furr babies ,mean too us ,I lost my cat Bertie ,November 2017 ,
And it’s only now ,I am coming to terms with my loss ,it’s been tough ,but I have had a lot
Of kindness and support ,from kindhearted people ,not only on this website ,but on
Helplines and e mailing services ,and their is tons of support ,online ,just goggle.
Pet breavment support , I sent my thoughts and love too you .

Xx