Water, water all around...

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Water, water all around...

Post by fjm »

Dear Tilly,

I know you are thirsty - it is why there are freshly filled water bowls in the kitchen, sitting room, bathroom and outside the front door, and why I cheerfully turn on the basin taps for you whenever you ask. So why, with all those easy sources around, do I find you trying to get the last half inch of water out of my pint glass?!

Your loving human
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Water, water all around...

Post by Ruth B »

The same reason that mine have for going out and drinking out of the pond, (which while it does have a basic filter isn't one of those perfectly clear koi ponds), when there are two bowls of clean water and a water fountain inside.

Cats will be cats.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Yes - Goldilocks in action. Water bowl is too hot, expensive water fountain too cold, yucky puddle outside Just Right.

It has occurred to me that the best way to get her to eat more would be to "accidentally" leave food out on the kitchen counter at night, making the most of contrariness (if you want me to eat it I won't; if you don't want me to eat I will) - only problem is that if she is not very hungry she knocks it down for the dogs, and then there is a midnight feast until I get up and read the riot act!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Haaah, typical!

I had a Siamese who enjoyed the Ribena I left as a night-time drink. I changed to orange juice so she drank that too ... or was it the other way about? When her son went to a new home, HE swigged wine if anyone left a glass unattended ...

I change water every other day, it tastes better that way, I've noticed from my night-time water jug, which Molly drinks out of unless I catch her, but I always leave large bowls down for cats and python. I used to have a tomcat who rushed to the bowl every time I redid it as if he was dying of thirst. Of course, if the back door was open he'd be drinking out of the murky green pond with goldfish nibbling round his lips ... trust him. In snake circles they tell you to change the water infrequently so as to let the chlorine and other nasties disperse ... that's how I got into the every other day routine ... in reality the minute you refill the water bowl a head shoots out from the hide and the rest of the snake follows, to a) inspect what you've been doing and b) to slurp down its chlorine fix. I had a beautiful and sweet natured corn snake who liked to drink from a teaspoon. No lie. I have a photograph.

I suspect Tilly just wanted the water because if you'd been drinking it, it's Forbidden Fruit. That's a good idea about leaving food on the kitchen counter - but you could try putting the dish in the sink so she couldn't heave it over the side for the dogs. And she'll feel REALLY sinful, which will please her no end. One of these days I'll put beer in my water jug and Molly will drink that too and I'll be in charge of an AlkyMolly. A pint glass? Did Tilly walk away wearing the glass like a gas mask? As Ruth says, cats ... :roll:
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I once had a cat who would drink the water in the floating candle bowl.

My Molly stuck her head in a glass of water on the table tonight, first time I've ever seen her do that. Not that glasses of water are common in this house! Normally we have to be careful of the dog helpng himself to our coffee.