Gabapentin for arthritis?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Gabapentin for arthritis?

Post by fjm »

Pippin's arthritis is getting worse, despite regular meloxicam and cartrophen injections. The vet suggested adding a regular dose of gabapentin - has anyone any experience with it? Pippin is 16 this spring, is slightly overweight (trying to manage that...), and has arthritis in hips, shoulder, elbow and spine, but is otherwise healthy. Pain relief is key to his quality of life, so I want to do all I can to keep him as comfortable as possible.
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Gabapentin for arthritis?

Post by Judy Barnett »

There's a supplement my neighbours use for their old girl called Pawbits joint support. They've had good results with it. I think you can order it off Amazon.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I have tried most of the readily available supplements - the latest one I bought just today. Pippin won't touch it; Tilly thinks it is wonderful. Typical cats...
Catotum
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Catotum »

I can't actually help with the drug but do you have a cat electric blanket? These are little cat-sized things that go in the cat bed & heat just to warm & have been very much appreciated by elderly cats (&, in fact, the not so elderly) - they are readily available online. Try eBay or Amazon. Buy one with a protected cable that can't be chewed.

Warmth does help arthritis.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Thanks Catotum - I had one for a previous cat, and perhaps it is time to get one for Pip. At the moment he sleeps in lots of comfy spots, all soft and warm (lap, chairs, beds, dog beds, etc) so he would probably expect me to move a heat pad to the chosen spot every time he moved, which has put me off slightly!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

If he uses different spots you could buy a self heating bed instead. B and M are the cheapest place
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I was looking at the self heating beds, Booktigger. Are they effective? If so, they would certainly be a good solution for Pip.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Honestly, I have tried it with 3 cats but the crinkle noise has put them all off! I got Lucy a new plug in one from zooplus for about £16 so they are cheaper now, think Molly's cost me £30
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

In that case I may get a cheapo one off t'internet and see what he thinks. At the moment my self heating lap seems to be his favourite spot!
Kppixie
New Cat Chatter

Post by Kppixie »

My almost 15 year old house cat has been on gabapentin for two years for her arthritis. 1 tablet twice a day.It’s worked very well for her having tried metacam which did not agree with her at all. She is also overweight, this makes it harder for agility but she is happy and content.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I tried the gabapentin for several weeks, and came to the conclusion that it was not helping much with the pain, and was making Pip more wobbly around the hind legs. Metacam, on the other hand, works well for him - he comes and reminds me if I am late with his dose and moves much more easily once it has taken effect. He is enjoying the warmer weather, too - warm sunshine is probably the best medicine of all!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Devil's Claw supplement, have you tried that? I was on it for several years with back problems. But do research it properly. It's commonly used for horses and also for dogs. Available in liquid and powder form so no pesky pills.