What kind of cancerous tumor is most common on the mesentery of cats?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kittyboy
New Cat Chatter

What kind of cancerous tumor is most common on the mesentery of cats?

Post by Kittyboy »

My cat died because the vet couldn't take out this tumor they found on the mesentery. It had too many blood vessels and they said it was cutting off his blood supply. By the time we found it, he had already stopped eating almost completely. The vet said she thinks it is lymphoma but can't tell without a biopsy. I read lymphoma of the mesentery is rare though and other cancers in that area are more likely. We didn't get the biopsy because she gave him 2 weeks to live anyway and he did die right before week 3. I attached a picture of the tumor. If anyone has delt with mesentery tumors that look like this, please let me know what type of cancer you think it is.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: What kind of cancerous tumor is most common on the mesentery of cats?

Post by Mollycat »

Sorry for your loss, must have been a terrible shock.

If the vet can't be sure by looking, it's unlikely people on a forum would be able to advise from a picture. A google search suggests lymphomas are 30% of all feline tumours though, so maybe not that unlikely.

I can understand you wanting answers but some questions can only be answered by a vet and expensive tests. If it would make a difference to you knowing for sure, I can only suggest an autopsy.

Sorry.
Kittyboy
New Cat Chatter

Re: What kind of cancerous tumor is most common on the mesentery of cats?

Post by Kittyboy »

He has already been buried so there will be no autopsy or biopsy. Yes, lymphoma is most common on the mesentery, then after that is leiomyosarcoma. I found a pic of a rare mesentery liposarcoma and it is way uglier than my cat's tumor. But i think this tumor is on a person.

"In comparison with the retroperitoneal liposarcoma, the primary mesenteric liposarcoma is extremely rare and is treated by aggressive surgical management i.e. wide excision with adequate margins (in the absence of distant metastases). Among the malignant mesenteric tumours, lymphoma is most common followed by leiomyosarcoma. Occurring usually in the 5th to 7th decades, the incidence has been seen to be slightly higher in males."

http://jgo.amegroups.com/article/view/274/html