Practical ways to cope with incontinent cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Langas50
New Cat Chatter

Practical ways to cope with incontinent cat

Post by Langas50 »

My cat has a spinal injury causing some paralysis and incontinence. We are aiming for surgery which may of may not happen but in the meantime I am looking for practical suggestions of how to cope with the weeping and poohing.

The weeing is worse than the Pooh. Pooh is dry, so quite easy to spot and clean.

He doesn’t always miss the tray but he does a lot.

What have other people used? Not keen on nappy suggestion.

I have newspaper down and washable rugs.

Any suggestions very welcome. Thanks
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Practical ways to cope with incontinent cat

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Puppy pads come in handy; I wish I'd realised about them for an elderly forgetful boy of mine. I use unscented ones for everything now - in front of the trays, feeding mats, carrier blankets, even bedding for my python. If the vet visits I cover a table with them for the examination.

The cats seem to take to them well; you might find it useful to line your boy's bed with one, or wherever he chooses to sleep.

Hope this helps and hopefully there will be more ideas. With all best wishes for your boy's recovery - fusses to him :)
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Human incontinence pads may be cheaper than puppy pads - you can get very large ones designed for covering beds - very useful under trays etc as Lilith says, and not expensive if you buy in bulk online.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

there are washable incontinence pads too, which might be cheaper and better for the environment

a quick google brought up this https://www.incontinenceshop.com/chair- ... dEQAvD_BwE but there are loads more available
TailLove
New Cat Chatter

Post by TailLove »

Hi!

I'm sorry to hear about your fur baby and the issues with paralysis and incontinence :[ if getting around wasn't hard enough, not being able to control the wee must be very frustrating for your cat. Cats are prideful creatures (have you ever noticed your cat get offended if you laugh at them??) and as such anything you can do to make this more comfortable is great.

Like other posters have recommended, large potty pads in the areas that your cat moseys around should help contain a lot of the mess, but I understand that sometimes cats try to hide their incontinence because they recognize it as "naughty" behavior.

I would also recommend not buying pet specific potty pads, they are marked up due to it being "specialty."

Just how mobile is your kitty? Are they still able to use stairs/jump on the bed/ etc?