Best flea treatment??

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Best flea treatment??

Post by GillZB21 »

When Kitty first came to us last summer as a 'visitor/stray' we couldn't see fleas but there must have been some as I came out in a terrible allergic reaction to flea bites - so I had to move out fir a couple of weeks over Xmas while my boyfriend treated whole house with what my friend advised was best spray - Indorex. Then just after Xmas Kitty disappeared and when she returned on Feb/march this year we examined her but found no fleas but treated with Wilko brand spot on. All seemed fine till we took her to vet lady Saturday for a consultation to be spayed and vet said she had fleas! Mortified as we couldn't see any and thought we'd treated her . Anyway we signed up to the care plan where we also pay for flea treatment that we get every 3 months but still has to be applied every 4 weeks. What's the difference between the stuff the vet sells us and the various brands you can buy in pet stores ? My friend has told us to avoid bob Martin products as some of her cats have had bad reactions. I had such a bad reaction to the flea bites that we need something that really works - my boyfriend thought I had chickenpox it was that bad!! Has anyone else had similar experiences? Grateful fir any advice thanks 😊
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Best flea treatment??

Post by booktigger »

The ones you buy in the shops aren't very strong, so don't always work, and in some cases, can cause bad reactions in your cat, so I'd stick with either the vet stuff, or buying from an online site like VetUK, although you have to be careful with theirs, they also sell cheap unreliable ones, we use Advantage from there.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

The POM (Prescription Only Medicine) ones are generally far more effective, stopping the fleas breeding as well as eventually killing them, and often protecting the cat against other parasites as well. It is very important to avoid using dog flea medicines on cats - they often contain permethrin which is poisonous for cats. If you react badly to flea bites keep up with the monthly treatment, and it should help keep cat, house and you flea free.

One of my cats - Pippin - developed a bad reaction to the carrier used in the spot on treatments (and to surgical spirit, amongst other things). When he needs treating he has a long lasting injectable - it doesn't kill the fleas, but it does stop them breeding.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

fjm wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:47 pm The POM (Prescription Only Medicine) ones are generally far more effective, stopping the fleas breeding as well as eventually killing them, and often protecting the cat against other parasites as well. It is very important to avoid using dog flea medicines on cats - they often contain permethrin which is poisonous for cats. If you react badly to flea bites keep up with the monthly treatment, and it should help keep cat, house and you flea free.

One of my cats - Pippin - developed a bad reaction to the carrier used in the spot on treatments (and to surgical spirit, amongst other things). When he needs treating he has a long lasting injectable - it doesn't kill the fleas, but it does stop them breeding.
One of my bridge cats developed an allergy to the spot ons, but because of his kidney issues, my vet wouldn't use the injection, but they sell a tablet flea treatment called Comfortis - downside was that the cat tablets came in 2kg increments, so she gave me a dog one for him, as he was over 5kg. Don't think all vets stock it but might be worth asking. It is also really good for flea dermatitis.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Bob Martin products are at best a complete waste of money, steer well clear.

Pesticides are always changing because fleas evolve quickly and develop resistane to the active ingredient or combination. Quality comes at a price, it's as simple as that. If you're in the UK we don't have access to a highly potent range called VetKem. These are nasty nasty chemicals that are still working after 30 years on the market. They won't export to the UK, I guess we think they are just too dangerous or something. But I used to get them from my American vet for a cat with bad flea reactions and they were awesome - just had to make sure hands were washed thoroughly after fitting a new collar, and they last for 5 months are are also effective against ticks.

However, fleas aren't the end of the world, if they are under control and on the cat. They are not dangerous or harmful and most cats have a few. My indoor cats might get them from the dog or from me stroking other cats which I do a lot, and I treat on a need basis, which so far has been twice in 6 years. They are indoor, fair enough. But my previous cats went out and played with other cats, and they also got a treatment as needed, ie when the allergic one started scratching. That was maybe once or twice a year. They never got a wormer and neither do these and neither has any cat I've owned, ever. Only the kitten, once, and one stray we took in, once. I don't believe in pumping cats full of nasty chemicals as routine or as a precaution.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't, I'm just saying do your own research and think about it and make your own decisions for your cat's care. Don't be bullied by vets - but don't scrimp on rubbish alternatives. For genuine products, foods, medications, even prescription items, you can buy online from somewhere like VetUK or PetDrugsOnline (that's the one we use) and there are others. A fraction of vet prices for the same product.

Oh and never, never, never use skin-application flea products for dogs on cats, it's deadly.
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Thankyou everyone for the advice - much appreciated- the treatment I got from the vet is called advocate but obviously we can't use it while she's recovering from her op and has her onesie on!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I too treat on as needed basis - usually every couple of years for two, or at most three, cycles. But if Kitty has had fleas there will be eggs and larvae all around the house, and if the OP reacts badly to the bites it would be wise to make sure they don't get once more established!

I find a flea comb a great help - if I go over all four animals very carefully and find no trace of flea dirt I know they are clear. If I find one or two on the cats I keep combing for a few days, carefully killing any fleas I find. More than that, or if I am still finding them after several days, and all four animals get treated. I don't count the sticktight fleas they occasionally catch from rabbits - they don't move much so are fairly easy to squish!
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Thankyou for the advice - will definitely get a flea comb - she'll probably enjoy being combed!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Mine too are only treated every few months rather than once a month as the pack says, but my choice is Stronghold which is probably one of the most expensive ones on the market, however we have never had a problem with fleas while using it. I'm lucky they won't bite me but my OH gets eaten alive if he is anywhere where there are fleas (or other biting insects). Stronghold also does ticks, earmites and some worms so they are pretty much covered for the common parasites. In the end as long as it is one from the vets and for a cat if the cat has no reaction (some do develop a sore patch on their neck) then you should be fine and Advocate is one I have heard a lot of good about.

While I agree with with fumigating the house as well if you are that troubled by fleas, be careful with some of the options available, some can be dangerous to cats. Check labels carefully and even if they don't say anything I would advise keeping Kitty out of anywhere that has been treated for several hours. I have never had to use one, but i have heard rumours about some problems with them so just a warning to be careful. If you are using something like Stronghold or Advocate you will probably find that soon the house is clear, any remaining fleas will take one bite of Kitty and then proceed to die, unlike the old sprays and powders the spot ons do remain effective at killing fleas for the month.
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Thankyou so much for your reply Ruth - it's good to know that the one we've been prescribed has a good reputation - you've also put my mind at rest about fumigating the whole house. It was all done around Xmas time with indorex and we've also vaxed since then and retreated and put some new flooring in bathroom so all should be well. We always keep Kitty away from any chemicals- I'm a bit OCD with cleaning so she's locked out of a lot of rooms at least once a week lol!
The fleas didn't bite Kev but I was shocked at the reaction I had - I think it was worse as I'd scratched the tops off a lot of the bites in my sleep so they bled a lot - I don't want to go through that again or for poor Kitty Puss to have fleas again - I think she's been through enough in her little life up to now - none of which we'll ever know - like we will never know her previous name - but she answers to Kitty now and has done for months - so her new life as a loved and valued little pusscat has begun and I just hope we can make her as happy as she's made us 😻
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

One trick i have heard of, if you have a vacuum cleaner you don't need to empty every time it's used, is to get a flea collar and cut it in half and put half in the cylinder or bag (save the other half to use after it has been emptied). That way should there be any flea eggs in the carpet if they do hatch while in the vacuum they will get killed before they have a chance to escape. i wouldn't recommend a flea collar for anything else, but that is one good use for them. My own Dyson only has a small cylinder so gets emptied each time it is used straight into the wheelie bin.
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Thanks Ruth - will give that a try as we did get a flea collar but she wouldn't keep it on and I'm not really keen on collars - always afraid they might catch on something and get caught - and as she's an outdoor cat and always climbing it's more of a risk.
Nmurphy5
New Cat Chatter

Post by Nmurphy5 »

I recently used Bob Martin Clear Spot On and had to rush my cat to the doctor within 24 hours of application. He was fine until the application behind his neck. Then he threw up several times, became lethargic and stopped eating. He hid under the bed and wouldn’t come out. Vet said he checked out fine but was worried about his none eating. He then developed horribly diarrhea. Currently on day 3 of his reaction to the treatment, and he was only able to drink the water from a can of tuna. I bought the product at Tesco and didn’t know about the bad reviews (I usually buy Frontline from the vet but due to Covid didn’t go). The product is dangerous and should not be sold anywhere.
Am praying my cat (18 years old) survives this
fairymum
New Cat Chatter

Post by fairymum »

Can I jump on this post. My cats have had fleas for the last couple of months.
I’ve used spot on, tablets (which were very effective), spray for the house and vacuuming regularly.
We have minimal carpet in the house.
Yet they are still coming back.
My partner has been struggling as he’s been bitten a lot by them and constantly itching.
Why have I not got rid of them.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

When cat fleas start biting people they are desperate and that means you have a very heavy infestation. What brand products are you using and where are you getting them from? You will probably need a while of regular treatments with prescription products to eliminate them fully.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I've found it takes a minimum of two months of vet prescribed treatment for all the four legged animals in the house plus vacuuming, combing, etc to break an infestation, and sometimes three or four months. It's important to continue to let the treated animals into all the areas where they may have dropped eggs - if you ban them from the bedroom, for example, the hatching fleas will go for whatever warm blooded body is available.

In the meantime OTC anti-histamine tablets and creams may help make life more bearable for your partner.
fairymum
New Cat Chatter

Post by fairymum »

Thank you guess need to keep going with what we are doing then!
I’ll try and get some of the treatments people have put on here.
They are never allowed in our bedrooms so that’s not changed