Kitty's spaying op success

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Kitty's spaying op success

Post by GillZB21 »

Kitty is home - very shaky, disorientated, confused and uncomfortable in her babygro! Sadly there was a very early pregnancy with one kitten - which the vet said she was unlikely to have carried to term - but still sad.
She's on painkillers for next couple of days and she's back Wednesday evening fir a check up. She's trying to do everything she normally does but obviously struggling as in pain and disorientated - she's trying to get up the stairs but looks like she's drunk - wobbling all over but we can't pick her up in case we hurt her so just having to leave her to do what she can. She's not stopped purring since she got home and is very clingy - unlike her normally! We've put food and water and a litter tray both upstairs and down and she's eating and Thankyou to everyone who suggested cooked chicken breast - she's eating tiny bits and loving it ! I don't think we'll get much sleep tonight as she doesn't want us out of sight but she also isn't tired!
Just so happy to have her home and love her so much 😻
Attachments
IMG_9046.JPG
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Kitty's spaying op success

Post by Ruth B »

She will soon be feeling better.

While it is a shame about the kitten she is better off with it gone. As it sounds like she is small and underweight (from what you have said previously) her body would probably have rejected it at some point which would have been a danger to her as well. The ones to blame for it are all those that don't bother to neuter their cats, male and female.

She may not be happy in the babygrow but she is probably happier than she would be in a collar, she does look rather cute in it.
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by ThorpeDave »

She is a gorgeous cat and will be feeling much better in 2-3 days time. Hope the vet will be checking on her within the week?

Plenty of love and re-assurance coupled with good food and she will be a different cat in a few months time. don't rush it, Rome wasn't built in a day

Take care of her

Regards

Dave
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Thanks Dave - She's back to the vet on Wednesday evening -for a check up - really hope the babygro can come off then!
I know it's to protect her stitches but try telling her that!! She seems to think if she walks backwards enough she'll walk out of it!!
How old does a female need to be before she can be spayed? I guess your little madam will be wearing a babygro soon! Though we did get a choice of that or cone and I know it's not comfortable but it's a far better option for Kitty than a cone - guess it depends on the cat. At least with the babygro she can still clean herself and curl up into a ball to sleep - she couldn't do those things with a cone - but she must be so hot as typically the weather is lovely and she desperately wants to be out !!
The big tom cat who has been courting her and was probably responsible for the poor unborn kitten was howling outside for her all last night. If I knew where he lived I'd like to go round to ask why his owners hadn't neutered him - there's no excuse - if you are on benefit you can apparently get help towards costs - it's also cheaper to neuter a tom - and if people can't be bothered to take these steps they shouldn't be allowed to have pets - tough policing and enforcing such a policy would be impossible I guess. 😾

Kindest

Gill
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Normally female cats are spayed at about 6 months old (males are normally neutered at the same age), however there is some call to reduce that age but change is slow coming. I know a charity that has a vet that will spay and neuter at 3 months so she only homes the kittens after they have had their operation, over in the States and Canada they will do it as young as 8 weeks as long as the kitten is 2lb (or 1kg) in weight and healthy. The younger they are done the easier and quicker the recovery seems to e in general, i've watch kittens on a live stream from the US and Canada running around and jumping with in 24 hours after they have been spayed and there doesn't seem to be any more problems than there is doing it at 6 months.

A female cat can get pregnant at 4 months and be giving birth when she is 6 months old, which is why it is so important to keep them inside until they are spayed. A 6 month old cat is often too small to carry a litter to term or can have complications during birth leading to the death of both the cat and the kittens inside her without emergency surgery. Three litters a year isn't unusual for an adult female, particularly if one litter doesn't survive, and I believe the average is about 4 kittens to a litter. I think the general reckoning is that kittens born to strays and ferals will have a 1 in 4 survival rate, but if the mother has a ready supply of food and is in an area where there are few predators that rate might well be higher. It doesn't take much maths to see how quickly a cat population can explode in an area, and also how many kittens end up dead.

Sorry for the rant, I will now get down off the soapbox (you will find that this is a very big soapbox for this subject on this forum). Personally I would love to see every kitten that wasn't to be used for breeding purposes by a registered breeder spayed or neutered at 12 weeks to prevent any risk of pregnancy and any unnecessary deaths. If you hear of any TNR (Trap Neuter and return or rehome) projects going on in your area they are well worth supporting it is the best hope there is for reducing the number of unwanted kittens.
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

GillZB21 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:39 am Thanks Dave - She's back to the vet on Wednesday evening -for a check up - really hope the babygro can come off then!
I know it's to protect her stitches but try telling her that!! She seems to think if she walks backwards enough she'll walk out of it!!
How old does a female need to be before she can be spayed? I
When cats should, can be or are neutered is a complex question with many answers and many will bring out soap boxes in varying sizes!

Rescue organisations who deal with lots of cats tend to castrate the males at 2 months with females being spayed at 2-3 months.

This is primarily down to pressure on resources particularly in "kitten season" and I personally have a problem with this. Rescue organisations also tend to do everything in one hit so vaccinate, worm, flea and neuter all on the same day. I won't go into detail as it is too painful for me but I am totally opposed to it and so is my vet - although they do it every day of the week

the "gold standard" that vets would like to follow is 6 months and above 2kg but it really depends on the circumstances and the kitten.

Where a cat can be kept inside and is the only fertile one in the house, 6 months would be ideal and what vets recommend.

when cats are free to roam the risk of females getting pregnant is a lot higher, and un-neutered males are more likely to wander off and get involved in fights increasing the risk of spreading disease.

Having an un-neutered male and female in the same house obviously increases the risks significantly.

As our garden has been cat proofed no cats can get or out so the decision to neuter will be down purely to development.

At present, Jasper is the largest so he is likely to be neutered first but we want to see him above 2kg AND be properly developed. Morgana Violet is small in comparison so it would be preferable for her to wait a little longer.

They will be back at the vets at 12 weeks old for their second vaccinations, be microchiped AND to make plans for neutering.

Regards

Dave
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

It seems it's very subjective then and dependent on a lot of varying factors such as how many other cats are in the household and access to and from the garden. I agree that neutering, chipping, worming etc all at the same time does sound an ordeal especially for a cat that may be struggling to adjust to new surroundings- I doubt Kitty could have coped with more than the spaying and chipping. She only weighs 2.8kg now and that's after a couple of months of regular feeding - prior to that she was so skinny I wouldn't like to think what she weighed and I doubt her little heart would have withstood an op.
I guess the answer to when to spay or neuter is more dependent on the situation and health - both mental and physical - of the cat as an individual and as most rescue organisations ate dependant on charity that they have to use their resources as economically as possible hence the "one hit" method - which I can't say I agree with but completely understand why.
Life must be such a lottery for a lot of poor souls - I've heard and read so many heartbreaking stories and have wanted to re-home a cat for years but due to moving around a lot in the past didn't think it would be fair - so when Kitty appeared in my boyfriends garden last summer so skinny and friendly and obviously desperate for affection it was impossible to turn her away. . Though I always accepted the fact she may have a home elsewhere and just be a visitor but it's been too long now and we've taken on the responsibility of her care welfare and health - as far as I'm concerned if she did have an owner they can't have been that bothered or she wouldn't have been so malnourished, needing spaying or as desperate for affection.
Though I doubt she's feeling much affection for us now thanks to the dreaded babygro! The bets are on as to how soon she gets out of it!!

Kindest

Gill
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

While I may have become a firm advocate of early spaying and neutering I do not believe that vaccinating, defleaing or worming at the same time is the right thing. A lot of my cats have been under the weather for a day or two after their boosters so I wouldn't really want to put them through anything else during that time either.

Chipping at the same time as neutering I do agree with, it can be done while the cat is anesthetised and the one time I saw it done, quite a few years ago I will admit, it did look an awfully big needle.
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Is that how the chips are inserted? Via a needle - for some reason I thought it would be a tiny chip put in like a staple like having an ear pierced with a gun - if they still do that!

I totally agree I think 2 medical procedures are more than enough in one go - they wouldn't do it to a human - though as my boyfriend is going for his hernia op I wonder if they can upgrade his hip replacement at the same time - not to mention remove a mole he's been complaining about😹!! He's a hypochondriac and the first to admit it! In fact his hernia has started hurting in sympathy with Kitty!! He'll be wanting a onesie next haha!!😹
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

That is how it was done when I saw it, but it is going back a few years. The needle probably wasn't much bigger than the ones they used to give the vaccinations but it did seem to hurt a bit more, though Blue was always a bit of a wimp when it came to pain, or even just having his claws trimmed.

Blue was the first cat we ever had chipped, we, like many people had opted for collars before hand. Blue however was a Ragdoll (from a rescue centre) with a gorgeous ruff, I could not bare to end up with a collar line ruining it. Micro chipping was just coming in so we enquired about it for him, and every cat since has been chipped as well, either ready done, or at the vets. That first time though things were explained a little more and we were shown what was to be used.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I don't think the needle for chips is that big as I had very few react while being chipped (I did rescue work for 14.5 years). We did neuter/vac/chip at the same time, while it may be a lot in one go, it does mean they don't have to go twice in the same week. I am a firm believer in early neutering, we did hundreds of kittens at 9 weeks plus and had no issues whatsoever - one male didn't have both testicles descended, but only one, and they bounce back even quicker than a 4 month old kitten. Our vets used glue, so no stitches to bother with, and when they were homed 48 hours later, you couldn't even tell most had had an operation, the fur had actually started growing back, I remember one new owner questioning whether the female he was adopting had even had an operation!
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Rag dolls are gorgeous - my friend has a pair of rag doll sisters (rescues) in her cat family of 13 - they have the most beautiful blue eyes and are so delicate - well to look at anyway haha!
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Ruth B wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:42 am While I may have become a firm advocate of early spaying and neutering I do not believe that vaccinating, defleaing or worming at the same time is the right thing. A lot of my cats have been under the weather for a day or two after their boosters so I wouldn't really want to put them through anything else during that time either.

Chipping at the same time as neutering I do agree with, it can be done while the cat is anesthetised and the one time I saw it done, quite a few years ago I will admit, it did look an awfully big needle.
I think it is way too much especially as the vaccinations should not be given if the cat has a low temperature - which it WILL due to the anesthetic

Hendrix and the 2 new kittens were - in the opinion of the vet - too small to be chipped on the same day. Again is a subjective point. Rescue organisations will always do it and I have no issue with it but my cats have a safe home, can't get out so my choice to wait until the second vaccinations are due

Regards

Dave
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Kitty is looking well after her op - had a good breakfast with medication added and she ate the lot - then went for a sleep in her room for about 4 hours - got up had dinner, went for another sleep on the settee then when Kev came home greeted him with much rattlesnaking of the tail and have her a small tea followed by a treat of a few pieces of steamed chicken - had a wander round - a pee and a poo which were all good and healthy - no tummy upset - and has now settled down for another nap in her room. Seems to be getting around well - onesie not causing any issues in fact she seems to be used to it already!! only problem is she's dying to go outside especially now Kev's out there washing the car as she usually helps him with that job - looking after his cleaning cloths by sitting on them , pinching any tools he leaves around and chasing the hose ! But hopefully not long before she's back to normal. She's been so good using her litter tray - and not fighting her onesie and eating and drinking regularly . At the vets tomorrow at 5.45pm so hopefully all ok with her stitches.
Attachments
Looking a lot brighter today!
Looking a lot brighter today!
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

That is good news - looks quite fetching in the baby grow!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

She does look very smart, and is obviously recovering well. Watch out for itchiness as the wound heals, though - she may start to nibble just as your guard is dropped!
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Kitty has had another good night keeping us awake by trying to get under the quilt and purring loud enough to be heard about a mile away!
She's eaten a good breakfast with added meds and is now curled up asleep.
She's been a perfect little patient not trying to get her onesie off or scratching at stitches.
Back to the vet at tea time for a check - hope all is well and that she can get out again soon. She really misses being in the garden but has been so good when we've said no she hasn't howled or scratched at the door.
We were dreading this post op period of being kept in but she's been an absolute joy! I'm lucky that we are together all day - being out of work has its uses!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

It's a good job I don't know your address, otherwise I'd be seriously considering kidnapping Kitty - she really does sound the perfect cat
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Kitty is so cute! :)

I'm glad her op went well.
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Haha - try telling my boyfriend she's the perfect cat when she's .....sharpening her claws on the carpet and side of the sofa, wanting to play at 3am, pulling the floating duck plug when I've just ran a nice hot bubbly bath then attacking feet underwater when I do get a bath, shoving edible things under the fridge then trying to get them out, squeezing herself into tight spots she cant get out then meowing for help and furniture having to be dismantled to get her out! Shoving us out of the way at the bathroom sink when we want to wash our teeth but she wants A drink out of the magic fountain tap!
But we wouldn't change her for the world - she's such good fun and so loving and special and unique with her crazy double jointed front legs and bendy paws and a tail that impersonates a rattlesnake whenever she's excited or happy or it's treat time or just because she can rattle it !!!
Thankyou Marla - Kitty is a cutie with the most mischievous little face - she's into everything and is a little nightmare at times but we adore her - which of course she knows!
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Back from Kitty's first post op exam - all good - wound is slightly swollen but it's clean and healing well - all normal at this point the nurse said - she was very happy with how Kitty is doing and just to keep her in still, continue with meds and keep her quiet and the onesie stays on for now !
She had a good meal and is now sleeping in her room - she's doing a lot of sleeping! It must be catching as I lay on the bed this afternoon about 1pm and put the telly on and the blinds down to keep heat out and she came and lay next to me and the next thing I knew it was 4pm and I was waking up with her cuddled next to me and her paw on my hand . Kitty and I have grown very close over the past couple of days since her op - it's a lovely feeling that she knows where I am if she needs me. 😻
Attachments
Sleeping like a baby - dressed like one too!!
Sleeping like a baby - dressed like one too!!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

She sounds like the 'perfect' cat, doing everything a cat should, getting up to as much mischief as she can get away with and then being so affectionate you can't tell her off.

That onesie might not be the ideal in cat clothing (I am a firm believer that all a cat needs is a fur coat, it's own) but as an alternative to the plastic collars it does look a lot better an option.

I wish mine were as well behaved at times. One now has to have regular medication, but she has got suspicious when I try and include in her food, or even in something for a treat. Then another of mine will eat anything in sight, and anything he can get his paws on, including anything doctored that has been put down for the other cat. Fortunately it isn't a medication that will do him any harm.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Cherish the mischief. Both my second-hand cats are too perfectly behaved. They don't scratch anything but their scratching posts. They don't go on the kitchen surfaces. They don't steal food, I once forgot a roast I had left to cool and in the morning it was untouched. They don't chew wires or play with anything dangerous. They don't even interfere with the Christmas tree!