Kitty sudden change of behaviour

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Kitty sudden change of behaviour

Post by GillZB21 »

Really worried - Kitty went into the little enclosed box in the base of her cat furniture last night about 8pm and refuses to come out. She normally wanders through the night and wakes us every morning - now she's cowering in her little box - won't go the loo or eat or drink - just peeping out with huge terrified eyes like she doesn't know us. I'm out of my mind with worry. I could understand this behaviour straight after op but she's been fine until now.
I'm trying to respect her privacy and leave her alone but she needs her meds and to drink - I just don't know what to do - any advice please?!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Kitty sudden change of behaviour

Post by Ruth B »

There could be a variety of reasons, it could be that some long lasting medication has just warn off and she is suddenly feeling the operation, or you mentioned that the wound appeared to be a bit swollen even though it appeared to be healing well, it could be that there is something going on there. it could even be that she is just a bit upset about having to go to the vets again yesterday, did they do anything apart from check her wound.

If in doubt call your vets, it might be they have an explanation that they could give over the phone or they might want to check her again for any problems.
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by ThorpeDave »

I would agree with Ruth

The chances are that Kitty has never been to a vet before which can be a very daunting experience especially as she will no doubt be feeling some pain as a result.

Medication wearing off and the wound healing will probably be making her feel uncomfortable.

Try and keep her routine the best you can but ensure she is not running a temperature - feel her ears.

As long as there are no negative signs like diorama or vomiting she is probably ok.

If you are worried contact the vet for advice

Regards

Dave
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I'm not one to go rushing to the vets but for this I would. The hiding and terrified eyes like she doesn't know you sounds like pain to me. First though maybe check under her onesie yourself, see if the wound is looking red, swollen or gooey in any way, bleeding, or if a stitch is caught in the onesie maybe or has pulled out. If she was in there resting and relaxed fair enough but this doesn't sound right.
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Thanks for the replies - I've given her her breakfast as normal which she ate - half in half out of her box and there was painkiller mixed in with it as vet advised - and she purrs when I put my hand in to stroke her gently but she just won't come out.
What am I looking for with regard to temperature and her ears?
It's also really warm and I wonder if she's trying to keep cool in a dark place - she slept all day yesterday too only she was with me so I could keep an eye on her. The only good thing is that with her not moving she's not putting any pressure on the stitches . Her water bowl is right outside her box so she could have been drinking only I'm not there all the time to see.
Her litter tray is in her room too - and one downstairs in regular place - but she's not been yet.
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

I've just given her her lunch - came out of the box , stretched and scoffed the lot then went back into box. Still purring when I stroke her
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

That is good news.

Like humans using the loo after an op can be difficult so that is the one to keep an eye on in particular. If she has not been after 3 days then seek advice from your vet.

It sounds like she is in discomfort as she has eaten and came out of her box AFTER she had some meds this morning.

If her ears feel hot and she starts vomiting then definitely contact your vet.

It is understandable that you are concerned but try not to stress as she will feel this.

Regards

Dave
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Thanks Dave - I'm trying not to stress as I know she'll pick that up from me - hard not to do - I'm not feeling very well myself either so that won't help. She's been to the loo the day of her op and Tuesday but nothing yesterday or today - but she's bound to go at some point - tried to make it easy for her with a tray up and down and plenty water around.
I don't want to be in her face all the time - i know when I'm poorly I just want to shut the door and be left alone - there's nothing worse than someone clucking around asking what they can do for you!! I think my Kitty is the same. She has everything to hand and she just need ask if there's anything she needs. My mam - long gone sadly - but so much common sense- bless her always used to say the body heals in sleep so I'm hoping this is the case.
Will be watching Kitty closely but she obviously knows me as she's purring like mad.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Do you think she could be constipated? Some painkillers can cause that, and even mild constipation on top of a sore stomach can't be much fun - not that there can be much in her bowel after the op.

Personally I'd give the vet a call - a decent vet, or nurse, is usually happy to help, and even if it's nothing, it will put your mind at rest.

All the very best and hope you're both more comfortable soon x
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lilith wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:22 pm Do you think she could be constipated? Some painkillers can cause that, and even mild constipation on top of a sore stomach can't be much fun - not that there can be much in her bowel after the op.
Agree - quite possible so a call to the vet to get some lactilose may be in order - don't wait longer than another day. Useful to have around anyway ;)
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Thankyou for your kind words Lilith x
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Lilith wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:22 pm Do you think she could be constipated? Some painkillers can cause that, and even mild constipation on top of a sore stomach can't be much fun - not that there can be much in her bowel after the op.
Yes this very wise and sensible as always Lilith. And would make more sense given that Kitty was fine for 2 days and has gone funny now.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I would call the vet, and ask their advice. Post op follow up treatment is usually included in the op price, and if there is a problem the sooner it is caught the better. After Poppy's spay the nurse told me to call, or take her in, if I had any concerns at all - she said they would far rather deal with dozens of false alarms than risk missing something serious - excellent advice, I think! It's a good sign that she is eating and drinking normally, but even so I think a check up may be in order, if only for peace of mind.
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Good news - the moment Kitty heard my boyfriend come in from work she was out of her box meowing at the top of the stairs then when he went up to see her she went straight into her tray for a poo(which did look a bit dry) then ate treats and wet food and chicken breast - all hand fed by my boyfriend then had a wee and wandered all over the house just like her normal self - then she sat washing herself and my boyfriends forehead and talking to him for a while and has now gone back into her little den.
I think everything is ok - no hot ears so no temperature and I think she's ok.
Shes had 3 good meals today and no tummy upsets so perhaps she just wanted some quiet Kitty time 😻
Thankyou everyone for your support and advice - what a nice forum this is - but of course it is as everyone here loves cats 😻
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh good, brilliant news; I was worried - hope all is plain sailing now. Fusses to her, naughty girl for scaring you :)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Great to hear she is feeling better and seems to be back to her normal self.

Only on Cat Chat would you find people so eager to hear about a cat using a litter tray. :roll:
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

There are times - not many - when the smell of cat poo puts a smile on your face!

So pleased she is recovering and by the sounds of things getting back to normal.

Keep us posted

Regards

Dave
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Oh bless you Lilith Thankyou for being worried on our behalf and Thankyou Ruth that made me laugh - yes there aren't many people who want to hear about litter trays or celebrate when they're used 😂!
Going to keep off dry foods for now seeing as she's probably a bit bunged up and just leave her in peace.
I'm still not particularly happy about her hiding away in her box but if that's where she wants to be it's her choice.
We are both totally knackered as we can't sleep for listening out for her all night and worrying - can't wait until she's back to her normal naughty self. The nurse said the stitches will dissolve but she's back on Monday for a check up.
She's just had a webbox stick treat for supper and it was gone in 60 seconds! Her appetite is excellent!!
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Haha Dave - you're so right! I was waving my poo bag in triumph!! 😹
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

GillZB21 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:49 pm Haha Dave - you're so right! I was waving my poo bag in triumph!! 😹
LOL! not sure I would have gone quite that far!

Great news all the same
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Kitty has eaten a good breakfast with meds added and extra chicken.
We managed to tempt her out of her box and she ate her breakfast purring all the time but as soon it was eaten she went straight back in - left her washing herself and still purring.
She usually sleeps after the painkillers so will leave her in peace. She has everything to hand and if she needs anything she just has to shout and I'll be there.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh good lass and good news - sounds like she's going from strength to strength :D

Some of my girls have been a bit knocked out by the op; some have been a bit knocked out and have climbed up on the mantelpiece the minute I took my eyes off them; some have taken their stitches out within 24 hours with no ill-effects; some have taken no notice whatsoever ... 'been doing backflips, has she?' asked the nurse when I took my youngest, Molly, in for her checkup. I had to agree. My older cat, Mouse, and her mother, a pair of ferals who moved in with me like your Kitty, were zonking about the yard like Tiggers a few days after their op - but they hadn't been pregnant or undersized.

It's quite amazing - a human female, after her hysterectomy, prefers to take it easy ... the average cat bounces back :)

I think Kitty will go on swimmingly now :)
GillZB21
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillZB21 »

Thankyou Lilith - all good news - she's slept all day in her box but as soon as she heard Kev coming in from work she was up - she even climbed onto his knee and as she hasn't got much fur to clean due to onesie she decided to clean his beard! It was a pleasure to watch - she obviously thinks he's a kitten ! Her stitches mustn't be too sore as we've stroked her all over that area and she wanted to sit in Kev's arms and be cuddled ! He carried her all around the house and into every room to show her things were the same and she wanted to sit on the lounge window and look out - so she's taking an interest in things - I was worried she was getting depressed shutting herself up in that box.
I think things are getting slowly back to normal and once the onesie is off she'll hopefully be naughty Kitty again - it's been a long week for us all ! What with doing my Site Manager course and final exam last week and Kitty's op this week I think I've aged about 10 yr in a fortnight!