Cardiomyopathy in young cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Nat123
New Cat Chatter

Cardiomyopathy in young cat

Post by Nat123 »

Hello all

New to this but hoping for a bit of advice! We recently adopted a cat from a rescue centre, he is Max who is 18months old and super lovely!

We recently noticed a bit of panting and rapid breathing so took him to vet who noticed a murmur. Blood test results show likely cardiomyopathy which after doing quite a bit of googling is really heartbreaking! Vet reiterated concerns about him passing suddenly and we have started him on semintra as recommended by vet.

Anyway as it's early on in the diagnosis I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this condition and knows if any treatments/remedies which might support or prolong his life as much as possible.

Any advice would be so appreciated!

Thanks
Nat
TailLove
New Cat Chatter

Re: Cardiomyopathy in young cat

Post by TailLove »

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet baby cat and the recent diagnosis. Heart diseases are very rare in cats. From my experience, I know that ensuring your cat gets their medication at the same times each day can help them adapt to some of the side affects associated with the medication more easily.

Ensuring that your cat has regular activity is important, but its just as important to make sure that you don't encourage your cat to "spaz out" and increase their heart rate rapidly. A great trick I like to use to keep cats active is a feeding puzzle, they engage your cats mind without getting their heart racing. Another great option is like a treat dispensing toy.

With a little compromise between you and your cat, I'm sure you will find a lifestyle that is best for their condition.

Wishing you all the best <3