Cat pacing and very reduced appetite

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
DMorris
New Cat Chatter

Cat pacing and very reduced appetite

Post by DMorris »

My 11 year old cat has been pacing, often going in circles and barely eating. He takes medication for restrictive cardiomyopathy. His cardiologist says his heart condition is not related to these current changes. His pacing episodes started after having a collapsing episode about 2 weeks ago. Since then, he was started on medication for arrhythmia. His cardiologist thought that his collapsing episodes were caused by arrhythmia . In the past 2 weeks, his pacing and going in circles has been getting worse. His appetite continues to decline. I don’t know what is wrong and how to help him. If he doesn’t start eating, he won’t survive. I gave him a low dose of an appetite stimulant , but his agitation increased and his appetite didn’t improve. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat pacing and very reduced appetite

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome and I'm very sorry to hear about your boy.

There are obviously underlying problems here, which you and your vet are obviously addressing and which I'm not qualified to comment on, but as for the not eating, I can recommend this stuff -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nurish-UM-Past ... B0041KX9SA

The 'Nutri-Vit' paste on the same page is just about identical. You can also get it from Holland and Barrett if you're in the UK and Petsathome might sell it too. All you do is squeeze out a bit (it looks like golden syrup and tastes of almost nothing - I've tasted it) and wipe it round your cat's lips so that the cat automatically licks it off. Obviously it's no substitute for a square meal but I've found it's tided poorly cats over with calories and vitamins until they feel hungry again.

Hopefully others will be along with advice as to his condition, and all the very best with him - please let us know how he goes on, good luck.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Cat pacing and very reduced appetite

Post by lilynmitz »

I've read your earlier post, and your dear old puss really has a lot to deal with. I have seen this pacing in cats with advanced kidney failure, it's very distressing to see, and loss of appetite could be due to the deterioration in one or more of her many medical conditions. I really would speak to your vet as soon as possible, but sadly from what you describe, I feel it may just be a matter of trying to make her more comfortable, and spending as much quality time as you can with her. Thank you for giving her a loving home at this stage in her life.