FIP .... is there any hope ?!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mandy-jane
New Cat Chatter

FIP .... is there any hope ?!

Post by Mandy-jane »

My gorgeous 4 yr old boy, Geoff, is currently in the local veterinary hospital having fluid support and tests. He hasn’t been himself for about 3 months, started with what seemed to be a discomfort in his back but in the last 2 wks he’s lost his appetite, lost weight, and has free fluid in his abdomen. At no point along the way did he show any signs of infection. No vomiting, no diarrhoea, no temperature and his blood results had all been normal.

I had never heard of his Illness before and after reading loads about it and speaking at length with our vet I’m devastated to learn there is no cure !! I’m praying with everything I have that it turns out to be something other than this viscous disease, something which can be treated so Geoff can come back home with us and his brothers.

I really don’t know the purpose of this post but I’m absolutely breaking inside and don’t know how Im going to be able to give the go ahead to euthanise my beautiful prince when the time comes 😭😭
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: FIP .... is there any hope ?!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, I do hope his tests show something else - are they testing the fluid in his abdomen? FIP has a very distinct, straw coloured fluid. Fingers crossed it shows something else.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I'm so sorry you and Geoff are going through this.

I can't give you any help with symptoms, but the one thing i do know is that FIP is most common in kittens up to a year old, so Geoffs age is in his favour, but that doesn't mean he is in the clear, only tests will tell. I really hope it is something else for, as you already have found out, there is no cure.

The only thing i can add is that if you need a place to talk about it, there are plenty of willing listeners here who will understand what you are going through and how much of a family member a cat can be. Sometimes it helps to talk, even if it is only on a forum, but where people can understand what you are going through.
Mandy-jane
New Cat Chatter

Post by Mandy-jane »

Thanks for your replies. Since posting this I’ve spoken again to the vet, she aspirated some of the fluid in his abdomen and it’s very yellow in colour and very viscous. .... both obvious signs of FIP.

From this we have decided that the only option for Geoff is to have him put to sleep, it’s tearing us all apart (we’ve got 4 kids) but we know is the right thing for him. The only thing we can’t decide on is wether to bring him home in the morning for a day or two or have him put to sleep in the morning at the vets. I don’t know that anyone can answer this question for me and I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to decide ....... why did this have to happen to my beautiful boy 😢
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry they were indicative of FIP, deciding when is never an easy thing
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I am so sorry it was bad news.

Like you say only you can decide whether you bring him home or not. I don't know how old your children are, but it might be worth asking them if they would rather he came home so they could say good bye properly.
Mandy-jane
New Cat Chatter

Post by Mandy-jane »

I say children, they are 25, 24, 20 & 17. We all went down and saw Geoff at the vets earlier and we’ll all go down again in the morning if we decide not to bring him home. The children all think he should stay there and a lot of me do aswell but then there’s part of me that thinks he deserves to come home x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I lost a 5 month old to FIP, so I know how horrible this disease is, and feel your pain

would your vet come out to you so that Geoff can go to the Bridge surrounded by love? I have always opted for that when I could, and it does make it easier for everyone, and leaves you with better memories than euthanasia at the vets
Mandy-jane
New Cat Chatter

Post by Mandy-jane »

The vet rang at 7:30 this morning, Geoff had deteriorated overnight and was very weak this morning. We got dressed and went down straight away and he fell asleep in our arms. It may sound silly but it was like he waited for us to get a definite diagnosis before he stopped fighting, the fact we didn’t need to make the decision to put him to sleep has helped massively.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear that but glad he made the decision for you, it does make it easier. RIP little one
Kerry17
New Cat Chatter

Post by Kerry17 »

My eight year old male British Shorthair has been through so many tests recently. It is conclusive he has FIP, how does this happen? He had his annual booster (09/10/19), which he has never had before and one day post injection went downhill. We noticed 12 days later (21/10/19) he had ascites which is protein rich. He has been prescribed prilactone and prednisolone and it’s palliative care for him. He seems so happy in himself at the moment, he’s eating and drinking well, mobile and purrs his little head off when he has a good head scratch. I don’t know what to expect as I’ve been told he could deteriorate quickly. I have referred his case to an holistic vet who has prescribed him some further medication. I know I’m in denial, I won’t let him suffer though.