Indoor/Outdoor Kitty and Day Lily Plants/Toxic Plants

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Qcatlady
New Cat Chatter

Indoor/Outdoor Kitty and Day Lily Plants/Toxic Plants

Post by Qcatlady »

My neighbor recently allowed us to let his cat come stay with us whenever he wants to... which he does now, a LOT. While this kitty has been a part of our lives for 10+ years - he has not spent as much time in our yard as he has this Spring/Summer. My big concern is toxic plants. We have day lilies in at least three locations (which we have had a for a few years now). Has anyone had an indoor/outdoor kitty become seriously ill or get terminally sick from any type of plant poisonings? He is a SUPER groomer so I have this thing in my head that I"m going to murder this cat that I love so much unless I remove every toxic plant that is in just our yard - obviously I can't do neighbors - if they have any. There are SO MANY of them listed on the ASPCA website. Thanks for any thoughts on this topic...
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Indoor/Outdoor Kitty and Day Lily Plants/Toxic Plants

Post by fjm »

I avoid the big, pollen heavy lilies because it is so easy for the pollen to brush onto fur and then be licked off in washing, but I have never had a problem with cats eating plants they should not. There is plenty of the sorts of grass they prefer if they do want to nibble something green.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

Qcatlady wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:26 am My neighbor recently allowed us to let his cat come stay with us whenever he wants to... which he does now, a LOT. While this kitty has been a part of our lives for 10+ years - he has not spent as much time in our yard as he has this Spring/Summer. My big concern is toxic plants. We have day lilies in at least three locations (which we have had a for a few years now). Has anyone had an indoor/outdoor kitty become seriously ill or get terminally sick from any type of plant poisonings? He is a SUPER groomer so I have this thing in my head that I"m going to murder this cat that I love so much unless I remove every toxic plant that is in just our yard - obviously I can't do neighbors - if they have any. There are SO MANY of them listed on the ASPCA website. Thanks for any thoughts on this topic...
I'm so sorry to be the bearer of bad news but unfortunately the entire Day Lily (not to be confused with the common Cala Lily) although very beautiful, is extremely toxic to cats, even the water in the vase or rainwater running off the plant and collecting underneath, is dangerous, ingestion of any part leading to kidney/heart failure within 24hrs. I am a keen Gardener and also have a smallholding plus a large allotment in the centre of a park. There is a sign on the communal notice board instructing us of the known danger of growing lilies of any sort because of the freedom the resident feral and visiting domestic cats, all welcome, enjoy. I really don't mean to sound overly dramatic and I don't know what other plants you cultivate but my advice, if you wish this cat to continue visiting, would be to dig out every single Lily plant, frankly it's just not worth the angst. Bizarrely, they pose no danger to humans and you can enjoy the petals as fritters, something akin to stuffed courgette flowers.

Issi
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I’ve had day lilies in my garden for over 25 years without incident. While I knew lilies in general were highly poisonous to cats, I hadn’t realised that included day lilies. However, I've decided it’s not worth the risk and will be digging them up and replacing them with something more benign.

The list of plants that are toxic to cats is pretty terrifying, and in most cases the cat (a) has to feel oddly inclined to eat something that isn’t a mouse, cat food or grass, which is unlikely, and (b) eat an awful lot of it. However, in the case of lilies, the most likely cause of poisoning would be from the pollen, as it would be an odd cat that chooses to eat a lily plant. But the whole plant, including accidental dustings of pollen, is seriously toxic, as in “rush the cat straight to the vet and hope you get there in time”. Sadly my latest addition to the household is just such an idiot, so replanting is in order forthwith!
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

A tip for digging them up: Carefully place a bin bag over the entire plant and tie it at the stem just above the ground. Then dig it up.

Even a small amount of pollen can kill. I've been trying for years to get companies that sell lilies to state that they are toxic. But most of them just don't care. :(
Qcatlady
New Cat Chatter

Post by Qcatlady »

We have dug up SEVEN so far with FIFTEEN to go. The Fifteen are in a large square garden in the front of the house near the street, ironically there's a cat statue right in the middle of them all. DUH - what a contradiction after realizing all of this. :( The first 7 we dug up were the ones we actually saw the kitty brush the leaves because the huge plants were all on both sides of our steps and along a walk - so those are all gone now. We were able to get roots and all (we hope got it all) and then we covered the ground with a LOT of fresh top soil. We will get more mulch over the weekend.

I like the idea put a bag over the 15 in the garden before we pull those up. Last night my husband put chicken wire around the entire square garden and trimmed all the leaves back away from the wire until we can get to them. Some are not as large as the ones in the front, but only about half.

Kitty is not a plant eater either, but he does love to eat grass, but that is usually over in an area where there are no plants....

Any other feedback is still welcome. I will update as we progress with the removal of all of the daylilies.... thanks!!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I just want to say Thank you for removing them, you are making your garden so much safer for cats.

While I know everyone on this forum is primarily concerned about cats, i also know how much some people's garden can means to them, tell them that they need to uproot a number of plants and they would look horrified no matter what the reason.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

+1 to what Ruth said! If only everyone was so caring.