Anyone ever find blood in faeces?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Anyone ever find blood in faeces?

Post by mr_frisky »

I found some bright red blood on top of some diarrhoea two weeks ago in the cat tray.

It could have come from any of the three cats, so I've been checking each one after they go (when I'm in) and haven't noticed a recurrence.

The internet seems to suggest it isn't that unusual, as long as it's bright red. I found some in the garden (could have been anyone, even a neighbours' cat) about two years ago.

I took some photos to show the vet (lucky him) when I take one for her annual vax next week.

Is this sort of thing unusual? I haven't noticed any behavioural differences in anyone, apart from going out less because of the cold.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Anyone ever find blood in faeces?

Post by Janey »

I’ve had cats with this on and off and in my experience it’s usually a food allergy / intollerance causing it. In fact more recently my neighbour had the same problem with her cat. She’d noticed it before occasionally when he used the litter tray (he mainly went outside) along with runny poo, and the cattery mentioned it when he’d stayed there. However, she noticed he was licking his bottom more so took him to the vet who checked him over and recommended she switch him to a grain free food. She did that and monitored his poos and he’s been absolutely fine since, so she’s put her other lad on the same food too as that would be easier than trying to get one of them to eat a different food, thankfully they love the food and are both doing great on it.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Thanks for responding Janey.

I was immediately expecting the worst, but, if occasional, doesn't seem uncommon.

Are the likes of Whiskas and Sheba grain-rich, I wonder?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I think cats can get it all the time even if they’re intolerant to a food, it’s just keeping a watch if they don’t use the tray much indoors. In fact the cattery said they get a lot of cats like this so my neighbour said spread the word to other customers. Sometimes I think it can happen if they need worming as well.
I would think most of your usual supermarket foods have some sort of grains in them. My neighbour’s vet suggested Hills but she went to the Pet Shop and asked their advice, and I think it’s Natures Menu that they suggested, wet and dry, she gets in a variety of different flavours.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

I'll give them a go, thanks. They currently have Whiskas in gravy, Purina One sensitive and Dreamies, with Sheba at the weekends.
Nicky brown
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Nicky brown »

Hi
I've not noticed it in poo - probably because my older cat has always been a mainly outdoor cat but Hobbs has come down with urinary tract infections on atleast 2 occasions in the past 15 years. Both times he started peeing in our shower( nice!) He was obviously caught short but there was blood each time. I was very worried about kidney problems but both times he had a simple antibiotic at the vet and it cleared up. Last time was a good 5 years ago so I am nolonger worrying about it. I put it down to the type of cat biscuits he was on at the time. Worth reading labels as some specifically highlight they are good for the urinary tract which suggests some might be less so.
We always panic about blood when it is not necessarily anything to worry about at all - so long as we monitor and seek veterinary advice.
If in doubt - check it out.
Nicky
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

mr_frisky wrote:I'll give them a go, thanks. They currently have Whiskas in gravy, Purina One sensitive and Dreamies, with Sheba at the weekends.
I’d mention it to your vet as well, but very often is something like food causing the problem. Let us know how you get on.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Many years ago I had this in Sally's poo - in her case it was caused by cystitis. Cleared up after treatment.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I've seen this a few times and mercifully it's been nothing to worry about - but of course it needs investigating. I once saw it in a very hard motion - took a sample to the vet along with the cat - and I've sometimes seen a splash in diarrohea. I think often it's a case of the sphincter being irritated, as in human piles, and in other cases the stomach lining, causing a bit of surface (capillary?) bleeding but nothing serious, but bleeding is bleeding; it can't be ignored. I can well understand a food or food additive intolerance; haven't actually seen it for years (food intolerance was never considered decades ago) but you never know what gets put into even the best foods or whether there's one cat in a million who it upsets. Again just like humans.

Good luck everyone.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Lilith wrote:I've seen this a few times and mercifully it's been nothing to worry about - but of course it needs investigating. I once saw it in a very hard motion - took a sample to the vet along with the cat - and I've sometimes seen a splash in diarrohea. I think often it's a case of the sphincter being irritated, as in human piles, and in other cases the stomach lining, causing a bit of surface (capillary?) bleeding but nothing serious, but bleeding is bleeding; it can't be ignored. I can well understand a food or food additive intolerance; haven't actually seen it for years (food intolerance was never considered decades ago) but you never know what gets put into even the best foods or whether there's one cat in a million who it upsets. Again just like humans.

Good luck everyone.
Yes and I think it can be the diarrhoea / irriation etc as a result of the food issues causing the bleeding too.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I gave Tiffany some Felix yesterday after feeding her a grain and chicken free diet for a couple of weeks, and lo and behold loose pale poo and a little blood today

I'm not sure if it's the chicken or grain she has problems with, so am trying her on Applaws chicken today
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

I've not noticed a recurrence, and still not sure whose it was.

Everyone seems normal (touch wood), apart from hiding from recent infernal fireworks.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Still no recurrence, so I'll chalk it down to a stomach upset.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Hi. I've noticed blood on the fur behind the bottom of one of my cats this morning. At least I know who it was likely to have been in october.

Do you think I should take her to the vets?

Behaviour has been normal ever since then, as I've been keeping a dairy.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I'm not a panic monkey but diarrhoea has me on amber alert and blood on red alert. Reason being, something as small as a cat that isn't the best species at drinking can dehydrate very rapidly from a touch of the dire rear, and if it goes with vomiting or loss of appetite then hepatic lipidosis can become a serious threat in a matter of a couple of days. So at the first sign of loose poo I'm watching for any other symptoms as well as retracing what they've eaten or could have eaten. Note a slimy or shiny appearance, colour especially yellow or mixed, and any foreign object in there. Does the cat's bottom look sore, swollen or very pink, etc.

Blood can be as simple as straining or as serious as serious and I would never take blood in stools, urine or vomit any less seriously than I would take it coming out of the nose mouth or ears. It is not normal. It might not require a panic if it's just once but I wouldn't get complacent about it now this is the second time. I would trot her down to the vets, diary in hand. Hopefully just some wrong food but better safe.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

I did take her to the vets and she was seen within an hour of me phoning up. I took the baby wipe I used to clean it off her with me. There were no signs of cuts or trauma down there.

The vet took her temperature and checked her abdomen, weight etc. She didn't think there was any obvious sign of a problem. The rectal thermometer, when it came out, didn't have any further sign of blood.

She's been completely normal before and since, so the vet assumed it was straining, although I will continue to monitor.

Since the last time I noticed anything was october 2018 (and I noticed some blood in faces in July 2017, which could have been anyone), they didn't consider it be significant. I'm sure the vet was delighted to be shown my pictures of cat faeces!

It's always scary when this happens.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Your last comment reminds of the joys of a 3 day sample test ... in clumping litter ... I hate them sometimes!
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Noticed it again tonight, this time runny faeces with blood.
Lavone_Folsom
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Lavone_Folsom »

I think it is happening because of hard stools. Look at the food of your cat. Maybe something is wrong with food.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Lavone_Folsom wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:55 pm I think it is happening because of hard stools. Look at the food of your cat. Maybe something is wrong with food.
The cat has liquid stools, not hard stools.

Given that this has happened so soon after the last episode if it was me I’d be back to the vets for more tests. This shouldn’t be happening, and there may be an issue in the digestive tract that needs treating
Lavone_Folsom
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Lavone_Folsom »

Then the only vet can give the expert advice.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

I think I will take her back to the vets.