Tilly's kidneys - so far so good

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Tilly's kidneys - so far so good

Post by fjm »

Tilly had the second round of tests for suspected kidney disease today - this time I managed to get a urine sample. Her weight is up very slightly, her general condition good, but the urine SG was a bit low at 1.025, with normal glucose levels. Blood test results should be back in a few days, but so far so good - more or less rules out diabetes, in any case, and her weight gain is a definite plus.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Tilly's kidneys - so far so good

Post by Mollycat »

Fingers crossed for Tilly.

Never fails to amaze me how differently vets go about the same job. I thought urine samples had gone out with the ark, except where protein binders might be needed. My vets for the past 20 years have gone by blood test, which at my new vets is a 20 minute wait.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Pleased to hear that Tilly is doing well. At her stage in life, gaining weight is a good thing - they loose it all to easily (although my Tilly is gaining a bit to much!)
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I think the urine test is a bit of belt and braces - additional information over and above the bloods, especially to rule out diabetes.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Great news about Tilly - so pleased to hear :D
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Blood tests are now in. SDMA has dropped from 15 to 13 which is good news. Creatinine, urea and phosphorus were all slightly up, but not to the extent my vet considers them worrying. Glucose levels indicated stress rather than diabetes, which is also good. So the advice is to continue with a low phosphorus diet and have regular blood tests every 3-6 months to monitor whether additional treatment is needed.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

That's good news
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Sophy my papillon had a full dental yesterday, too - somewhat to the vet's surprise all the teeth were healthy under the layer of tartar, which he puts down to my zealous brushing keeping her gums in good order, and the pre-anaesthetic blood tests were all good. A general anaesthetic is always a worry, but she bounced back very quickly, and that is another anxiety out of the way. Just Poppy the toy poodle's heart murmur workup in a couple of weeks to go, and I may be able to have a few months not stressing about health and test results!