3 Week Old Kitten Help Please

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Vijay1320
New Cat Chatter

3 Week Old Kitten Help Please

Post by Vijay1320 »

Hello! I am new to the forums and have a question in regards to a kitten that I rescued from work. When I first found her, she was roughly a week old. She will be 4 weeks old this coming up Monday.

The reason that I am posting is because I have noticed some mucus like discharge when she urinates. This just started yesterday. I was wondering if anyone has seen this before or knows what it may be. I will be also contacting my veterinarian tomorrow but just wanted to get some knowledge beforehand as this is my first kitten/cat and because I want to ensure she is okay. I have provided the links to the pictures that I took below and appreciate any feedback.

https://imgur.com/GFMq6u8
https://imgur.com/aN4wPGA
https://imgur.com/QS5oSka

Thank you,
Vijay N.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 3 Week Old Kitten Help Please

Post by fjm »

I think with such a young kitten I would see a vet immediately. Blood in urine can be a medical emergency, especially in males - are you sure she is a "she"? Young kittens can be quite hard to sex correctly unless you are very familiar with them. Either way her best chance is to see a vet as soon as possible. Good luck!
Vijay1320
New Cat Chatter

Post by Vijay1320 »

Thanks for the reply. I have seen two different vets in the last two weeks and they have both confirmed that the kitten is a female. She just went to the bathroom about 30 minutes ago and her urine was light yellow with no more redness. She did squeeze out 3 very large poop nuggets. It's the most I've ever seen her go since I've had her. Not sure if that had something to do with it? But nonetheless, I will be contacting my vet first thing in the morning.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Bless her. Sorry if you're doing this already but young hand-fed kittens need their bottoms gently swabbed (a bit of damp cottonwool is what I'd use) after every feed; if they were with the mother she would wash them at this time, and this stimulates the flow of urine/faeces to keep them regular. At 3-4 weeks your kitten will be beginning to use a tray and becoming less dependent on this but it might be as well to 'wash' her just as a precaution against any constipation, though it's promising that she's passing wastes successfully by herself.

Good luck with her and please keep us updated.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Pale urine and good poops certainly sound promising. I hope all is well when you see the vet - hand rearing is hard work, I know!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Are you sure of her age? I've never had kittens poo that young.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I'm certain they do, Booktigger, but it's just that the mother eats it ... yuck! :o :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Sorry, rushed then. It's a different kind of poo at that age though because they should still be on liquid food.
Vijay1320
New Cat Chatter

Post by Vijay1320 »

We just got back from the emergency veterinarian and he stated that he thinks it's a UTI. He stated that it's a little rare for kittens this young to have something like this but he said it's not unheard of. He also stated it could have been caused by using wipes on the cat to clean her after she goes to the bathroom. We explained that we purchased the unscented wipes but he said it could still cause bacteria growth. He prescribed amoxicillin and we hope that will clear things up and get her back on track.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I'm glad you have an answer - always best to see the vet if there is any doubt. I hope she recovers quickly.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed for her. Hopefully you won't need it much longer, but cotton wool is always better than wipes.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Glad you've found out what the problem is - all the very best with her.