so...Milla kinda mated but her heat cycle is still going

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

so...Milla kinda mated but her heat cycle is still going

Post by Joe_Danger »

I know the general public's stance on not spaying a pet cat in the 1st world and I'm genuinely tired of justifying every step of my life and decision to foreigners or the situation with my cat to internet people, in the end I live in Eastern Europe and more people saw me as a cat abuser when I spayed anastasia than now when I try to breed Milla, now I WAS going to get her fixed but as I explained before my vet convinced us not to. Anyway you guys have always been beyond nice so I decided to come to you with a few more questions :)

- Milla only had 24 hours with my vet's male, they mated 5-6 times that I'm aware of and a whole bunch more probably in between. The tom wasn't valiable after that, I'll get into the whys and how some other time, no big deal. So, it's been over 24 hours now and Milla is still in heat.
Does that mean she didn't get pregnant? Reading the downright overwhelming info on the internet is not only confusing but frustrating too because I keep coming across posts where people demand those asking for advice on these things to fix their cats in the utmost rude ways imaginable, different sites say different things, some say she should stop calling if she was successfully impregnated some say her estrus will continue and she can mate with a bunch of males during that period evne if she was successfully impregnated by the first one.

Needless to say I'm frustrated with the whole situation because my vet as nice as she is proved very unprofessional about the whole thing, she promised she'd take Milla to her place and we ended up taking the tom home, which is a big no no and sure enough he was extremely aggressive towards us and attacked me but was very very gentle and loving with Milla :) I don't mind tho, I grew to love him with all my heart, I'm weird like that I can't dislike or hate an animal because i understand why he behaved the way he did.

Another lady with a wonderful tom wants to take her now for the duration of the cycle but I don't want her carrying kittens from two different dads with different due dates.

The reason for my rather weird opening of this post is because every time I discuss this issue on other forums I'm treated as some kind of a criminal for not getting her fixed, it's so well hurtful considering I love her more than anything and she is a happy, healthy cat.
But you guys have always been nice and understanding.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: so...Milla kinda mated but her heat cycle is still going

Post by Lilith »

Hullo again!

Wow, you and Milla have been having quite a time of it by the sound. I don't know if I told you I used to breed Siamese, but I can absolutely reassure you that mating doesn't end the heat cycle, even if the girl is pregnant. My girls would spend a few days with the stud and then come home - stlll singing at the tops of their voices lol. And yes, Milla can still conceive - but kittens from a different boy would still arrive at the same time as the ones first fathered.

Your vet has let you down a bit, I agree. Milla should definitely have gone to the boy; a male cat kept at stud can be a dangerous animal, as you found out. Also all matings should be supervised, because although the boy can be dangerous beforehand, the girl can be dangerous afterwards; she can turn on the male - and humans - and really hurt them. (One of those things you never know till someone tells you; it's said to be some sort of stimulus from the male's penis, which has tiny fleshy barbs and is said to be the reason why the girl yells at the climax of mating.) I knew one stud owner who used a tennis racket to gently usher the girl back to her pen after mating, and I once heard of an outstanding stud and show cat, all set for his championship, owners and their girls queuing up for his services, promising career...but his owner would leave the girl in with him, and one day a girl crept up behind him - and bit him. Yes, in his manly pride. :shock: He had to be neutered and become a mere premier (that's a champion neuter; only entire cats can be champions.)

But at least Milla and the boy sound to have had a happy time together :)

So...every chance of kittens in prospect then! She should calm down soon and in three or four weeks you may notice her nipples blushing; this is known as 'pinking up' and a sure sign of pregnancy. You may even notice her vomiting...yes, cats can get morning sickness too lol! Of course if she does come back into call then it means going through the whole thing again - but if I were you I'd insist on her going to the boy. But I do hope she's pregnant - no reason for her not to be.

Yes, you needn't worry about being misunderstood on here - honestly it's not worth wasting your time on forums/discussion sites with bad manners; they're exhausting, as you'll have no doubt found out.

With all very best wishes for a healthy and happy pregnancy for Milla and beautiful kittens - keep updating :D
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

Hello Joe
I mean you no malice as I expect you bang your head against the established vet. practices but I'm curious to learn why "Eastern Europe" seem so anti neutering?
I assume that everyone has loads of cats...(the unwanted kittens have to go somewhere..!!) or do they have a thriving euthanasia program for strays and kittens? What did the vet say was the benefits of NOT neutering Milla?
In the 21st century it seems a rather outdated ethos ..I'm sure you're well aware of the benefits of neutering..pity the vets don't..!! doesn't sound too careing on their part.
How up to date are vets in your country..do they have the latest equipment or are they more like farm vets..(no disrespect intended..)
Without some knowledge of the pet care in your Country, how can anyone, criticising you, understand what you have to contend with...

with kindest regards
Headbutts from Mouse and Thomas to Milla and Anastasia

xx
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Thanks guys :D
I dunno if eastern europe in general is against getting pets fixed, but I can assure you on my vet's end it's not about profit or anything, the woman loves animals with all her heart and I don't think she even wants a kitten or money for any of this, last kitten they got from her tom they decided to keep because they just couldn't give it away. I mean she does get cats fixed but believes it's best they have a litter or two first, they mature sexually and all. Her reasoning behind not getting male cats especially fixed is because she says their penises and urethras don't develop fully, stay smaller and since males, especially persians are prone to crystals it's more problematic for them and more dangerous. She says abroad they have special foods for pretty much every condition but here we only have one type of each of these special foods, some cats won't take to them and it makes it difficult for some of these issues to get sorted out easily and importing big bags of cat food is very difficult here, that I agree with since I import video games all the time and if a package is too big it gets taxed to hell and back. However once a male matures sexually she has no problem getting them fixed. Same with females.

The lady I got Anastasia from, you could call her a breeder since Anastasia's parents both had a pedigree and all tho we had to go to Serbia to pick it up and we never did since we got her fixed and had no interest in showing her or anything, she wasn't happy AT ALL that we chose to spay her, she told us many times over the first few years when we still kept in touch what a shame it was we got such a wonderful pure bred cat fixed...come to think of it I never shared pics of Anastasia with you guys, I wasn't even able to look at them until very recently tbh.
http://i.imgur.com/xO4yEq3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/odoGHnt.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/H1ZrLkP.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^ She died due to complete and utter vet incompetence, had I met my current vet on time she would have provided the care a cat with CRF needed, but my previous vet...well he refused to even administer sub-q fluids saying she didn't need any...she did

Anyway, most people who'd find out she was fixed would give me a hard time over it or at least a negative comment, saying they think getting a cat fixed is cruel, she deserves to have a family of her own(there's HUGE propaganda about family/having a family in my country going on by the government for several years now which is a very nice thing IMO but people apply it to cats as well it seems lol)

But, more and more people are coming around and getting their pets fixed.
tbh tho for Milla I'm genuinely scared of her going under, dunno why but that feeling that something might happen while she is under anestesia simply hasn't let me go and I've learned in life to always trust my gut, but we'll see. In all honestly finding good homes for persian kittens here isn't a problem from what I know, I have 2-3 friends whose Persians and Siamese have kittens all the time and they don't have a problem finding home for them. Also our stray cats outside appear very healthy, there's a whole bunch in my neighborhood, we also have stray dogs many of which we care for like pets, my neighborhood alone has 3 dogs who are fed, given shelter, taken reguarly to the vet, even taken home if needed, they might be stray but they're no different from pets, they play with the kids, protect them and generally are amazing, tame dogs, normal pets who happen to spend more time outside, they are all fixed tho, I believe some years back the government took all dogs from the streets, got them fixed, gave them shots and released them back where they found them.

As for Milla still being in heat.
Fortunately I work from home, I'm an illustrator and graphics designer and can work on my own time so her heat isn't a problem at all for me, like she can be as active as she wants, I just make sure to pet her and such when she calls and she calms down, honestly so far her heats have been very easy on us all, I just switched my sleep schedule around to match hers and draw and such when she is awake and we're good...I just haven't had much time to sit down and play me a nice video game tbh, that Final Fantasy 14 there ain't gonna play itself. XD
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Alright so this is going to be a bit embarrassing but I have to ask
a friend who breeds his cat but doesn't want to burden her with kittens every time she is in heat suggested I use a qtip/cotton swab to ease her heat and simulate intercourse. He said to just gently touch her there and she would act as if she was just mated.

Naturally I'm afraid I might hurt her, I'm not even sure where her parts are exactly XD but I'm sure someone from my family could easily do it, nobody would mind and neither would I as long as we can't hurt her.

But, I'm not doing this unless y'all say it's ok, her heat doesn't bother us in the least we just want to ease her situation if possible, especially now that she mated.
Also would this be good practice for future heats assuming she doesn't get fixed?
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

Hello again Joe...
I'm so sorry that Anastasia is now at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for you...I didn't know, sorry if my last line upset you...
She certainly was a wonderful looking girl.

As for your last post...Good Grief...!!!! I personally wouldn't even go there..literally and metaphorically.

I'm not sure if anyone else has any views?

Thomas and Mouse send their regards. They are 2 neutered Siamese boys but read your last post and sucked their teeth...haha.

S
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh Joe - that brought back some memories!

I heard of that idea back in the 1980s when a little girl of mine, too young to breed, had continuous calls. So I phoned my vet - and she reported back to me that the whole surgery was in fits of laughter!

But apart from dirty jokes it's not unknown - I once read of a mare, in the 19th century, who was giving trouble in the harvest field, so someone got a broom handle and...pacified her. But no I wouldn't dare try anything like that with an animal's delicate anatomy. I was lucky with my girl - I just happened to have a neutered male who knew what to do...and then the little horror had a phantom pregnancy, didn't she?

If Milla's not pregnant, you have the cast iron excuse for getting her spayed and getting the whole problem over, and to hell with what anyone else thinks eh?

I loved the pics of Anastasia - I do prefer the slinky oriental type cats but what a sweetie! You must still miss her.

All the best with Milla :)
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Sue Goddard wrote:Hello again Joe...
I'm so sorry that Anastasia is now at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for you...I didn't know, sorry if my last line upset you...
She certainly was a wonderful looking girl.

As for your last post...Good Grief...!!!! I personally wouldn't even go there..literally and metaphorically.

I'm not sure if anyone else has any views?

Thomas and Mouse send their regards. They are 2 neutered Siamese boys but read your last post and sucked their teeth...haha.

S
I don't think you said anything that would upset me at all, don't worry.
It was a legit post with legit questions, some of which I might have missed/forgotten to address

Seems I didn't answer about how well equipped the vets are, I'd say they're pretty well equipped, but probably don't have the latest and best technology but they sure have their share of equipment. Some are better equipped than others, but most are very caring and often do check ups for free, always offer advice for free, my current vet is especially amazing at this, she only chargers for pills, shots and x-rays and such, but taking a look at your pet, giving them basical physical examination and such is pretty much always free I've never seen her charge people for that. Even Anastasia's vet was like this.
They're definitely not farm animal vets, far animals aren't even allowed in the city except horses which are probably illegal but you can see gypsies with them every once in a while, it's pretty neat.

It's just that when it comes to more sophisticated issues they don't seem to stay up to date on the latest discoveries and such, this was especially a problem with Anastasia.
Also every vet I've been to seems to lack understanding or knowledge when it comes to cat behavior even though every one of them seems to own at least one cat.

My current vet is better at this though, her knowledge of cat behavior and thinking seems to be much better than that of previous vets I've been to, guess she is just old fashioned when it comes to the whole getting your pets fixed thing is all.
She does seem to make a valid point on why males shouldn't be fixed before they sexually mature tho but I dunno
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Lilith wrote:Oh Joe - that brought back some memories!

I heard of that idea back in the 1980s when a little girl of mine, too young to breed, had continuous calls. So I phoned my vet - and she reported back to me that the whole surgery was in fits of laughter!

But apart from dirty jokes it's not unknown - I once read of a mare, in the 19th century, who was giving trouble in the harvest field, so someone got a broom handle and...pacified her. But no I wouldn't dare try anything like that with an animal's delicate anatomy. I was lucky with my girl - I just happened to have a neutered male who knew what to do...and then the little horror had a phantom pregnancy, didn't she?

If Milla's not pregnant, you have the cast iron excuse for getting her spayed and getting the whole problem over, and to hell with what anyone else thinks eh?

I loved the pics of Anastasia - I do prefer the slinky oriental type cats but what a sweetie! You must still miss her.

yeah, I think I don't feel comfortable trying that either lol
As for getting Milla spayed I want to but at the same time I'm worried she might have complications with the anesthesia and that's a feeling I just can't shake off, I don't think i'd be able to live with myself if I took her to get fixed and something happened...like i you have no idea.
I've heard of a few cats dying during this in the past year or so from different people, a girl's cat from a video game forum I go to died last year, another cat and so forth and I honestly don't feel comfortable with it anymore at all.

I know the risk is minimal but risk is involved nonetheless, it's not a natural thing to do so it worries me big time, it's absolutely not something I'd be able to handle, it would destroy me completely.
I'm a very happy/positive person but this kinda stuff gets to me on a whole different level.

and yeah I still miss Anastasia just as much as I did when she died, it's not something I can get over even tho I love Milla more than anything.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Sorry - I'd read about your anxiety re anaesthesia but it slipped my mind.

It's something we all worry about - taking the cat to the vet and that horrible gap of hours before we can ring to be told she/he's fine.

I'm 63 and have had a lifetime of animals and known loads of other like-minded people and I've only ever heard of one animal dying under anaesthesia - and that was a great big bouncing golden retriever, who'd gone in to be neutered, the very last animal you'd think would succumb. My Emily came to me while feral and pregnant; the Cats Protection took her 5 kittens at 6 weeks and insisted on spaying her straight afterwards, full of milk as she was too. She was horribly underweight despite lavish feeding (a lot of girls literally give their kittens their all and become very thin) and I would have preferred to let her recuperate for a while, but no. I felt a bit miffed because I felt they didn't trust me not to let her out and let her get pregnant again! But she was, she was fine.

I realise a fear like yours is very hard to reassure, but, honestly, the chances of Milla dying under anaesthesia are very slim. Also, worst case scenario, girls in labour sometimes have to undergo a caesarian (happened to both my Siamese breeding queens) which involves an anaesthetic. This too is unusual - but they came through it...THEN afterwards they had to be spayed, poor things. Luckily they were both placid and didn't fear the vet like some cats. But not pleasant at all for them though again, they were fine.

Lots of love to Milla - I expect the little minx is feeling very pleased with herself :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Joe_Danger wrote:
Lilith wrote:Oh Joe - that brought back some memories!

yeah, I think I don't feel comfortable trying that either lol
As for getting Milla spayed I want to but at the same time I'm worried she might have complications with the anesthesia and that's a feeling I just can't shake off, I don't think i'd be able to live with myself if I took her to get fixed and something happened...like i you have no idea.
I've heard of a few cats dying during this in the past year or so from different people, a girl's cat from a video game forum I go to died last year, another cat and so forth and I honestly don't feel comfortable with it anymore at all.

I know the risk is minimal but risk is involved nonetheless, it's not a natural thing to do so it worries me big time, it's absolutely not something I'd be able to handle, it would destroy me completely.
I'm a very happy/positive person but this kinda stuff gets to me on a whole different level.

and yeah I still miss Anastasia just as much as I did when she died, it's not something I can get over even tho I love Milla more than anything.
I've been doing rescue work for over 11 years and haven't lost one to anaesthetic and we neuter at 9 weeks old and haven't had any issues with males maturing. On the other hand, I've lost a cat to mammary cancer because her owner hadn't got her neutered, she is also at risk of things like pyometra if unneutered
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

Joe,
I seem to have missed Mila's age?..if she is quite young I don't think there should be any problems with anesthesia but like humans there is always a risk..we all have to contend with the worry.

Neutering males usually controls their urge to roam, fight and spray indoors etc to define their territory..It's really not a nice life for them, very stressful.... anyone who has heard the yodelling of a tom cat at night will know it's tinged with sadness. If you've had that unwelcome visit from an unneutered tom (via a catflap ) you know that it takes ages to get rid of the smell....Yuck...!! Maybe they don't spray in their own house...!!

I too am 63 Lilith, and have had cats all my life....I have no children (out of choice ) so all my darlings have been my children and we have loved them all to pieces..and apart from Bailey (who, to our continued sadness, went missing last Nov whilst we were on holiday ) all are buried in the garden ..we have been in this bungalow for 38 years so not about to move away from them..I have had Siamese for quite some time now and love both neutered toms and spayed girls..all my cats have been so loving when "done"...

btw Lilith...when's your birthday? are you a Sagittarius?.
bbtw...Bailey is marked in the garden by a Poppy from the Tower of London display...so he is always with us.
The garden is also the resting place of 1 Rex Rabbit called Guinness and 26+ Guinea pigs...( I used to breed and show gp's ) all are marked by some plant or shrub..

S
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey Sue :)

No, I'm Cancer but a kind guy once did my chart and I've elements of Aries and Leo and...Mars in Scorpio! Yes...oooh! :shock: Not that I'm an expert on that stuff though I find the Chinese horoscopes very accurate; I'm a water dragon it seems and I once drew up a summary for someone (only out of a book) and when he read it out to his colleagues they fell about laughing because it described exactly what they thought of him - which I hadn't known as our relationship was quite formal.

I know what you mean about graves. When my first Siamese, Jacinth, collapsed with kidney problems (thank heavens I got her to the vet while she was just a bit listless and off her food) and had to be pts, I couldn't let her go. She fell asleep in my arms and I took her back home and buried her in the garden. When my husband and I split up (amicably) I left her there but when he sold the house later I had to have her back and (sorry, this is morbid) I exhumed her and put her in a terracotta pot in my backyard, couldn't bear the idea of strangers casually digging up her bones. She lives on. When my Emily joined me she had so many elements of Jacinth that even after 13 years I often find myself calling her Jacinth! Jacinth was a blue-point like your boys and the first time I met her she was swinging on a rag of net curtain, dropped off, skidded on the table next to the window and plopped off that too. Siamese eh? I'm reminded of the time I bought a sari in a charity shop and Emily, newly spayed and very young, helped me with it. Put it this way - we BOTH ended up wearing the sari! :lol:

Sorry to hijack your thread a bit, Joe! :D
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

No ma'am, you did not hijack the topic, quite the contrary
That post proved just how amazing a person you are IMO
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Thank you kindly Joe and the same to you :D
LWyatt3
New Cat Chatter

Post by LWyatt3 »

Thank you for asking this question. I was having the same problem finding out the answer to that question.
LWyatt3
New Cat Chatter

Post by LWyatt3 »

Anastasia was a beautiful cat! It's a shame that you had such a terrible Vet.😢
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Just one small detail here in defence of the wait-to-neuter policy - I have only had two boys but both were late neutered for different reasons. The first was a walk-in and was fixed at 3 years old, the other is a retired stud fixed at 8 years old.

Both of these boys have been incredibly sweet natured and sensitive, devoted and loving companions. A lot of cats are, I know. Both have been especially sociable, needing other cats' company - one would go round the neighbourhood recruiting, the other would cry and become so stressed alone we had to get him a friend. Both run to help (literally) whenever another animal is hurt, scared or ill. Also because they have been allowed to fully develop before neutering, they have a real butch body chape with the large head and muscular shoulders. Quite a different cat to the early neutered boys I have known. Coincidence or cause-and-effect, I don't know.

This isn't in support of non-neutering, we do have a problem of too many unwanted kittens in the UK and not really a suitable climate or culture to successfully support feral populations in the way for example many North African and Middle Eastern countries do. Biologically speaking there is still some evidence to show women are protected from certain cancers by having at least one pregnancy and I don't see why the same wouldn't be true of our pets. But one problem has to be weighed against the other and while for us there is one answer there's nothing to say ours should be the same worldwide.

As for judgemental people, I had to quit another forum because of exactly that. It was a constant barrage of snobbery about pure bred animals with their fancy certificates, the dangers of letting cats go outside, and the cruelty of feeding dry food or any trace of carbohydrate. I had a row with a breeder who didn't understand the most basic of a cat's natural breeding behaviour and thought, you know what, this is supposed to be fun - so I left. I should add that my retired stud cat is very obviously bred to be pretty and his cat instincts, reflexes, agility, senses, digestion and even ability to wash himself are noticeably compromised by human intervention in his genetic heritage. That's as polite as I can be.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Mollycat wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:34 am Just one small detail here in defence of the wait-to-neuter policy - I have only had two boys but both were late neutered for different reasons. The first was a walk-in and was fixed at 3 years old, the other is a retired stud fixed at 8 years old.

Both of these boys have been incredibly sweet natured and sensitive, devoted and loving companions. A lot of cats are, I know. Both have been especially sociable, needing other cats' company - one would go round the neighbourhood recruiting, the other would cry and become so stressed alone we had to get him a friend. Both run to help (literally) whenever another animal is hurt, scared or ill. Also because they have been allowed to fully develop before neutering, they have a real butch body chape with the large head and muscular shoulders. Quite a different cat to the early neutered boys I have known. Coincidence or cause-and-effect, I don't know.

This isn't in support of non-neutering, we do have a problem of too many unwanted kittens in the UK and not really a suitable climate or culture to successfully support feral populations in the way for example many North African and Middle Eastern countries do. Biologically speaking there is still some evidence to show women are protected from certain cancers by having at least one pregnancy and I don't see why the same wouldn't be true of our pets. But one problem has to be weighed against the other and while for us there is one answer there's nothing to say ours should be the same worldwide.

As for judgemental people, I had to quit another forum because of exactly that. It was a constant barrage of snobbery about pure bred animals with their fancy certificates, the dangers of letting cats go outside, and the cruelty of feeding dry food or any trace of carbohydrate. I had a row with a breeder who didn't understand the most basic of a cat's natural breeding behaviour and thought, you know what, this is supposed to be fun - so I left. I should add that my retired stud cat is very obviously bred to be pretty and his cat instincts, reflexes, agility, senses, digestion and even ability to wash himself are noticeably compromised by human intervention in his genetic heritage. That's as polite as I can be.
It is normal for later neutered males to have a different body shape, particularly the face due to the hormones, not sure why that gives them a bigger face, but it does. In cats, every heat actually puts them at risk of certain cancers, so neutering before the first season is preferable, unlike humans. They also have a risk of womb infection unlike humans
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

When my tomcat Finn moved in I don't know how old he was, but he wasn't doing well; he was starving and although definitely a mature chap, he had a running abscess on his backside that suggested he was losing his fights. He had whacking great jowls like shoulderpads stuck either side of his face. I got him neutered asap, and with time, his jowls shrank. He ended up with elegant Siamese cheekbones! :o :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

That's really unusual, normally they keep their Tom cat face!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I always thought so. Now Ali Kat, who was also entire and moved in a year later, who I neutered too, had a normal sized face, which never altered. He got a lot heavier and glossier though and lost his habit of beating up everything in the neighbourhood, including a frail elderly spayed female across the way - and me. Well, he did sometimes have a go at me.

The dreaded Ali Kat ... nobody else would have given him houseroom. Before his arrival, Emily walked into the garden one evening with her tail cocked at a strange angle.

'Lil. Got a wonky tail.'
'Oh Emily. Let me look.'
'No.'

So it was the vet, and a badly bitten tail, which was examined and clipped and a bill that might have justified a horse lol but fortunately no other treatment; Emmy had advised me in time.

'That vet,' said Emily. 'Taking liberties with My Tail ...'

Despite all this I did love Ali Kat.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

We had a cat when I was a child that adopted us when he was about 2 years old, and after treatment for abscesses and other wounds he was neutered. You could not have asked for a soppier cat as far as people were concerned, he even, occasionally, had to help my Dad calm down a child patient (my Dad was a dentist), he would have got into trouble had the BDA ever found out about how he did inspections for some children with a cat sat on their lap, but the parent was in the room and it meant the inspection got done. As far as other cats were concerned, he was just as fierce at defending his territory after neutering as he had been before, and still ended up at the vets to have wounds treated, including the loss of both upper canines in one fight.

Reading the bit mentioning Horoscopes and briefly read one of mine that appeared on Facebook recently, it mentioned that as I was a Capricorn my controlling planet was Saturn. It might be wrong about the planet bit, but Saturn is definitely a cat who knows how to get what he wants from me.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

booktigger wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:31 pm That's really unusual, normally they keep their Tom cat face!
It's not just the face though, it's the whole massive head! When I went to collect Boo I met some of the Ragdoll girls and to me they looked really odd with all this fluff and tiny little heads. Whereas Boo looks all in proportion.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

I figured I'd check the forum, see what's up.....and I thought lol there's another cat named Milla, neat, then realized it's a topic I made from 2015 wow

Casper was neutered at about a year old and his head IS indeed pretty big, dunno if it would've been smaller if he was fixed earlier in life or not but I like the way it is now
ICp0JlMLR.jpg
SO9QQebLR.jpg
BTW I still, to this day end up arguing with people who refuse to neuter/spay animals and consider it cruel, they're very firm in their beliefs too, which is a shame, but more and more people are coming around.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

He is a beauty and looks so comfy on that keyboard. I bet he takes some brushing to keep his coat in condition.

There will always be some people who think that spaying and neutering is wrong, the best we can do is just keep trying to convince them otherwise and point out all the health benefits from being neutered as well as the benefits you get from having cats that aren't spraying or calling all the time. I'm glad to hear that more people are accepting it around you.

Having watched a lot of livestream cat rescues from the USA and Canada, where early spaying an neutering is more common I have come to accept that early is better, but even in the UK it is difficult to find a vet willing to do it on a kitten less then 6 months old. Two of my cats came from a charity that does have a vet who is willing to operate at 12 weeks as long as the kitten is big and healthy, the lad was either born at the charity or arrived only a week or so old so was neutered at 12 weeks and has grown into a big cat now, and is also an accomplished hunter, with numerous mice to his credit and even a couple of rats, which living in suburbia is quite good going, so it certainly didn't do him any harm.
powercat
New Cat Chatter

Post by powercat »

Did she became pregnant? My cat was also returned after 24hrs in the stud male cat. But she is still in heat
phoenix28
New Cat Chatter

Post by phoenix28 »

I too would like to know if Milla had a pregnancy? My cat came home from Breeder after a few days in which multiple matings happened with the Tom - but since being home she is still somewhat in ‘heat’ calling and super affectionate like in heat?

Thanks
Mel_Volschenk
New Cat Chatter

Post by Mel_Volschenk »

Joe_Danger wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:48 pm I figured I'd check the forum, see what's up.....and I thought lol there's another cat named Milla, neat, then realized it's a topic I made from 2015 wow

Casper was neutered at about a year old and his head IS indeed pretty big, dunno if it would've been smaller if he was fixed earlier in life or not but I like the way it is now

ICp0JlMLR.jpg

SO9QQebLR.jpg

BTW I still, to this day end up arguing with people who refuse to neuter/spay animals and consider it cruel, they're very firm in their beliefs too, which is a shame, but more and more people are coming around.

Hi Joe,

Please can you share with us whether or not Milla was in fact pregnant or not dispite still calling after mating? How many days did she call for after the mating?

I'm trying to figure out some issues of my own here.

Thank you!
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Hey
wow it's been ages I just logged in and yeah she mated and had 4 wonderful kittens
I kept two and two were given away, in hindsight I should've kept all 4.

She stopped calling shortly after I posted that IIRC

She also called a little after being spayed but shorty after stopped, like a day or two later I don't remember and hasn't done it since 6 years later.