5 week old Kitten

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
littlestar27
New Cat Chatter

5 week old Kitten

Post by littlestar27 »

Hello!

I will be collecting a beautiful ginger kitten early August, and can not wait! I have lots of lovely pictures of him and just wanted to check what people thought of his eyes, I feel like they’re not quite the same? Not sure if it’s just his age or maybe genetics, or maybe something else is going on?

What are your thoughts? Not had a kitten before so not sure what’s considered normal! Obviously he will be vet checked before coming to me but always nice to have some reassurance!
Attachments
B357FAEB-C3AF-444C-BB32-267F3D296E95.jpeg
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 5 week old Kitten

Post by fjm »

I do see what you mean. Consistently different sized pupils is called anisocoria, and it can be minor or a symptom of more serious conditions like feline leukaemia. I would talk to your vet about how much it is a cause for concern in a very young kitten, and whether he may grow out of it or need further investigation.
Polly
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Polly »

Ask your vet to check his eyes, and as he develops,regular eye check up,
He is gorgeous
Catotum
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Catotum »

Ideally, kittens stay with their mothers until they are 12 weeks old. It takes that long to for weaning to be complete & them to become confident & accomplished in everything their mother has to teach them. So, check: this one seems a little too young to be removed as yet.

Also, do ask your vet now. You need a variety of photos that show his eyes, not just one. Cats' pupils do actually have a degree of independence depending upon the direction of light shining into them, however (as others have said) they should not be permanently or extremely different.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Littlestar just catching up on posts in CC. He’s a beautiful looking kitty..wondering on vet checkup? Vivian