My cat licked inside the cement mixture

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
kingscats15
New Cat Chatter

My cat licked inside the cement mixture

Post by kingscats15 »

We are currently getting work done in the garden and a cement mixer was out we noticed that our cat Bugsy was licking the inside of it since then he has been extremely tired and drowsy and seems almost depressed. however he is eating fairly well and drinking. Do you think the other symptoms are due to the cement or something else?
Thank You
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: My cat licked inside the cement mixture

Post by exlibris »

I'm not too knowledgeable myself, so I did a quick Google (though I dare say you have too). He may have gone some chemical burns :( Is he having trouble breathing? I'd really take him to the vets as it could develop into something more serious - the chemicals might do more damage as time goes on. If nothing else, if he's in pain while it passes through his system, then the vet can probably give him something for that.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: My cat licked inside the cement mixture

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree, a quick check up with your vet would be a good idea at the very least. I'm not sure whether any of the contents could be toxic, but chemical burns are possible with fresh wet concrete.

If it had dried out, it might not be so serious - I had a cat who was obsesssed with licking concrete paving flags and garden ornaments and also the stone hearth. We never did find out why, although he died young and unexpectedly, and this behaviour may have been a symptom (but not a cause, in his case) of his other medical issues