I need advice on something

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Milojinx
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

I need advice on something

Post by Milojinx »

My two cats has white gums one more then the other I've been to the vets but they said just give iron or red meat but which should I do first I have no idea I've never had this problem before they are not showing any signs of anaemia thankfully only the gums their both eating great they have no loss of energy or nothing so I'm baffled as to how this happened can someone give me some advice please
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: I need advice on something

Post by fjm »

Cats' gums do tend to be paler than dogs, but very pale gums are a sign of anaemia as you know and I am surprised your vet did not give more helpful advice, or offer diagnostic tests to look for an underlying cause, if they diagnosed that. Iron supplementation may help, at least in the short term (liver is a good source of iron), but if the anaemia is severe or they are showing other symptoms you may need to investigate further to find and treat the root cause. I would feed liver (not too much as it can cause diarrhoea) or a suitable supplement, and keep an eye on them for any other symptoms.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I have to agree with fjm, it really should be investigated further, improving their diet might help with the anaemia, but it won't solve the cause of the problem (unless of course their diet is the problem).

As has been said liver is a really good source of iron, but is best fed raw which can lead to its own problems if you give them too much. Beef is another good source, again best fed raw, my advise would be to look for some of the cheap cuts or mince in the supermarket and freeze it in portions only giving them a little every few days.

What are they normally fed on, you need to make sure that it is a good, complete cat food. Some cat foods are described as complementary or supplementary, these don't always have all the vitamins and minerals in that a cat needs. One of the problems of feeding a purely raw meat diet is that it can be lacking in some vitamins and minerals which is why I suggest giving the raw meat as a treat only every few days on top of their normal food, and why cheap cuts can actually be better than very lean ones. Chicken wings are another that are often given as a raw treat, skin, bones and all, but don't contain as much iron as liver or beef. Make sure that you do not give them cooked bones as they can splinter, but a raw one can be very good for them.
Milojinx
New Cat Chatter

Post by Milojinx »

I feed them gain cat food because I have tried them on wet food but they won't touch it which is very strange they are not showing any other signs only the gums
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I've not come across Gain before, but having a quick look online is should be fine for them, I assume they have easy access to water and drink plenty.

It is possibly they just have naturally pale gums but if in doubt ask for a blood test to be done so that you have the actual cell counts for them that would give a far more accurate picture of how aneamic they are.
Milojinx
New Cat Chatter

Post by Milojinx »

They have plenty of water available at all times
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

"Just give iron" doesn't sound very helpful really. Did vet take a blood sample? Is this your usual vet or someone who doesn't know your cats? And also, what sort of age are your kitties?
Milojinx
New Cat Chatter

Post by Milojinx »

It is my usual vet and they are both 1 year old
Catotum
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Catotum »

Wow. Change your vet! If this paleness has developed recently & is unlike anything you've seen before then investigation is needed. Not all vets are actually very competent although most can convince you they are - change if you get nonsense like this.

LIVER WARNING Too much liver can cause vitamin A poisoning in cats. Do try a little, though.

Also, try different foods. Maybe there is something in the one you are using that they can't metabolise properly. Cats are by no means identical at the genetic level. There are also vitamin & mineral supplements available that can be sprinkled on dried food, which are a good bet when concerned about dietary deficiencies. Find one online: make sure it is dry & that it includes minerals as well as vitamins. Try also ordering a variety of different foods in small sized packets. What is lacking in one may be compensated for in another.