Carpet Scratching HELP!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Knoxx3112
New Cat Chatter

Carpet Scratching HELP!

Post by Knoxx3112 »

I recently have got a kitten (4months) and she has been doing okay. She keeps jumping over my other cat and annoying her but she’s a kitten so 🤷🏼‍♂️.

However she recently has begun to claw up my carpet. There doesn’t seem to be any reason for this, she has loads of toys to keep her happy, she has two scratch posts, and the doors are even open!!! But yet for some reason she is clawing up the corners or carpet in different rooms.

This is a big issue as I live in rented accommodation, therefore I need to resolve this issue or will have to look at rehoming her. Any help will be appreciated !
Chris
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Carpet Scratching HELP!

Post by Mollycat »

As an emergency measure, double sided sticky tape all round the edges where she scratches. Some cats are just fascinated by the way carpet seems to disappear under the skirting. And some prefer to scratch a horizontal surface, you can get cheap ardboard scratchers or sisal matting ones, might be worth trying some different ones and see what she likes. Or just some offcuts of carpet or a cheap mat to put over the top. Get a catnip spray to show what is ok to scratch. Always offer a better alternative to what you don't want them to do.

Welcome to the forum :)
Knoxx3112
New Cat Chatter

Post by Knoxx3112 »

Iv been looking to get the cardboard scratcher just to see if she has got bored of the upright ones, it’s started randomly whit h is the annoying thing 😢
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

We have a terrible carpet scratcher, so I sympathise. He seems to do it when he gets excited, frustrated, or if anything new has been placed on the floor, all round the house. It's partly scent marking (they have scent glands in their paws) but it also seems to be one of his ways of grabbing our attention and communicating with us (he mostly only does it when we’re home). I wish he’d just miaow instead!

One thing that does work for our lovable little sod is using a plant mister/squirter if we catch him doing it. We’ve only ever had to squirt him a few times (you MUST do it while she’s actually scratching), so that now all we have to do is shake it and he stops.

Sometimes it’s just that he’s bored and wants us to interact with him with his toys - many cats prefer us to join in rather than just idly knock a ball about the floor on their own.

The double sided sticky tape trick is great if there are specific places where she’s scratching.

To deal with the fluffy carpet syndrome, we use a carpet pet hair remover, which is brilliant at getting up the fluff and putting the nap back into the carpet. It’s not a complete cure, but the carpet does look much better for it.

Hope this helps.
YogiBoy
Site Admin

Post by YogiBoy »

Hi Lilynmitz,
Good idea to mention the 'Car-Pet' hair remover... did you know we sell those on the Cat Chat webshop? We have them available singly, in orange or pink, or as a Twin Pack (Save £1 if you buy two). So thought I would nip in here with a link: https://www.catchat.org/shop/index.php? ... path=71_76

Getting them from our shop help us find more homes for cats in rescue - yes that is a blatant plug, but for a great cause!!!
xxxx
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Car-Pets are BRILLIANT! The only thing I know that really gets hairs off rugs, carpets and upholstery. Good to know I can get them here and help cats at the same time.

On carpet scratching in a rented property - I would try both tape and perhaps aluminium foil over larger areas, taped oround the edges. Most animals dislike the feel, although it is always possible your cat will be the exception and enjoy the game of pulling it up... Several cheap doormats in favourite spots may help - nice to claw and inexpensive to replace.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Knoxx3112 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:10 pm Iv been looking to get the cardboard scratcher just to see if she has got bored of the upright ones, it’s started randomly whit h is the annoying thing 😢
It's very rarely random,just that the reason isn't always obvious to us mere humans!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

a dirt cheap coir doormat might deflect her, and you can move it around easily

scattering a bit of catnip on it would probably do the trick
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

YogiBoy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:44 pm Hi Lilynmitz,
Good idea to mention the 'Car-Pet' hair remover... did you know we sell those on the Cat Chat webshop? We have them available singly, in orange or pink, or as a Twin Pack (Save £1 if you buy two). So thought I would nip in here with a link: https://www.catchat.org/shop/index.php? ... path=71_76

Getting them from our shop help us find more homes for cats in rescue - yes that is a blatant plug, but for a great cause!!!
xxxx
Sorry! I hadn’t spotted that!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

I’ve found putting mats on the floor can be part of the problem, because they love scratching the carpet right next to the rug! They do like making us work...
nimalperera25
New Cat Chatter

Post by nimalperera25 »

some cats prefer to scratch a horizontal surface like the base of a cat tree or a cardboard pad. And while many cat trees are covered with carpet, your cat may prefer a different surface, such as cardboard or sisal rope.