Schesir alternative

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Schesir alternative

Post by exlibris »

Hi all,
A trip to the vet diagnosed Backy, my 18 yr old, as problems caused by his diet. Blood tests came back normal. Old felines are notoriously picky, so I need something that is nutritious, but also tempting. The vet also has a picky aged mog, he has suggested schesir food, which I'm happy to get....if the blasted stuff wasn't so hard to get hold of! Anyone know of an alternative?
Thanks, Sarah & Backy.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Schesir alternative

Post by Lilith »

Wow, and it's pricey too, at least from Amazon.

Alanc on here recommends Thrive, which you also have to buy online and which is expensive - but they don't half go for it.

Among the brands available in the supermarket, I find that Encore seems to tempt them - but sadly it's not a complete food, and they do seem to prefer the fish flavours. It's useful in that it comes in tiny tins or pots or pouches to provide a small helping for a finicky cat. The 'cat pots' are very sloppy - about half gravy, but of course cats adore gravy. I don't actually have a problem with my two eating, but my Mouse is very doddery now and does appreciate a treat, and I find that giving her one of these pots poured over a good complete food really perks her up.

All the best with Backy x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Zooplus sell Schesir, at a reasonable price
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Zooplus sell Schesir, at a reasonable price - it's all supplementary though

Have you tried Gourmet Perle? It's lower in fat than most mainstream cat foods, so more easily digested by oldies
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by exlibris »

Kay wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:50 pm Zooplus sell Schesir, at a reasonable price - it's all supplementary though

Have you tried Gourmet Perle? It's lower in fat than most mainstream cat foods, so more easily digested by oldies
I bought this due to a previous recommendation (probably from you :) ) and it was really good, but after the vomiting debacle he stopped eating it along with everything else. However, I intend to try him again. I may have left portions out too long hoping he'd come back to it, but now I'll put down fresh even if it means chucking an untouched portion away.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I always feed Tiffany a half sachet otherwise she licks the gravy and leaves the meat. I don't really understand why she always eats all of a half sachet, and quite often immediately wants the other half, but it works. I buy the Chef Collection - I did buy the Gravy Delight as she likes the gravy so much, but the pieces of meat were bigger and too tough for her.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

You might want to point out to your vet that they are recommending a complimentary food, in case they either aren't aware or are also recommending to people who don't understand the consequences. It might be worth trying the Gourmet Mon Petit, often found at a reasonable price and might stop you throwing food away - before Lucy's operation, she never ate a full 100g pouch, so I started buying 50g pouches, after her op, she decided she likes them again, although some days leaves part of her breakfast and finishes it after her tea!! She hated Mon Petit before her op, favouring Sheba, but now prefers Mon Petit! :roll:
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Tilly certainly loves Thrive and Canagan (both of which I can get from our local pet shop). However, although a bit delicate at times, her guts are in in full working order, so no problems with inability to digest her food. When I had an elderly lady (Honey) with an inefficient gut my vet recommended feeding her kitten food which worked for a while.