Blood in urine and faeces

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
BuzzyBear
Returning Cat Chatter

Blood in urine and faeces

Post by BuzzyBear »

One of my cats has liquid faeces, bloods done all positive, apart from low red blood cells,awaiting results of faeces tests, given an injection to increase red cells, just managed to obtain a urine sample, my other cat has also got blood in his urine, I am awaiting his urine sample, then off to the vets. They are both 11 years old, a little lethargic, but eating well and drinking. They normally toilet outside, so this has been a real shock to me, and very worrying. Has anyone else experienced this.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Blood in urine and faeces

Post by lilynmitz »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

If they've both gone down with this, they're either ingested something to affect their digestive system, or they've got a bug. Have you changed their food lately? Have you (or your neighbours) been using pesticides, weedkillers, creosote or other potentially toxic treatments?

I had two (younger) rescue cats, one arrived with us with awful liquid squits, and quickly passed it to the other resident cat, and this went on for weeks and weeks. In our case after vast amounts of inconclusive tests, we decided it was probably a protein in their food (which we couldn't isolate) setting them off, so we put them on a diet of an entirely new protein, ie fresh venison and potatoes. it worked overnight.

Not saying this will necessarily be the case with your two, but it does illustrate the difficulty of getting to the bottom of digestive/urinary infections. The new diet was a last resort in our case. I hope your vet has better luck working out what has set your two off and left them feeling so poorly.
BuzzyBear
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by BuzzyBear »

Thank you so much for your advice. I am awaiting a call from the vets re the tests, I have been mainly feeding them freshly cooked fish fillets and chicken recently, as far as I know only one has liquid faeces, they are usually on a diet of good food, but with your advice, I had never thought of giving them potatoes, I will try this with their chicken and fish, do you mash it all together? Thank you again
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

I only used a tiny bit of mashed potato to bulk it out a bit, but the cat hated it, I remember the expression of complete incredulity when I “ruined” some perfectly good venison by adding potato :lol: Do talk any diet changes through with your vet first. There may be a few more options you can try. Fish and chicken didn’t really work for my two, it came out the other end as fish and chicken!
BuzzyBear
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by BuzzyBear »

I have just had urine results, and it is some sort of infection and I am picking antibiotics up in the morning, but Bertie still has the runs, and his sample results have t come back yet for that, I asked him about probiotics, and he suggested trying Yakult, but I have just tried and he doesn’t like it, I am going to give him some scrambled egg in the morning, and just currently researching probiotics for cats, so I will have to rethink both their food. Will do anything to make sure they are well and happy💕🐈💕
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Good to have a diagnosis for the urine issue, hope the treatment works quickly. But do keep liaising with the vet re the Pooh problem, rather than just randomly trying different foods - too much variation in diet can have the effect of upsetting their tummies, which will just confuse the issue even more.
BuzzyBear
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by BuzzyBear »

Thankyou I agree, just hope we get the results tomorrow, just keeping everything crossed,I think the fact that they are generally two very healthy boys, it’s upsetting to see them poorly😔💕🐈💕
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Everything crossed for helpful results tomorrow
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

There is a great product for cats and dogs called Nutraflora which has probiotics, prebiotics and vitamins. It's a powder capsule that can be sprinkled on food. Mine react badly to it, it gives the the runs, but maybe I should have built up the dosage slowly. But dealing with infections and backing that up with a good quality diet should give good results in most cases, unless there are other issues.
BuzzyBear
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by BuzzyBear »

Thankyou